Thread: I am very impressed with Dolphin 3.0, perfectly emulates Xenoblade Chronicles.

Thanks

Default I am very impressed with Dolphin 3.0, perfectly emulates Xenoblade Chronicles.

I didn't expect it to work this well, and I have to say it far exceeded my expectations. I just DL'd Xenoblade Chronicles in about 20 minutes, and it runs perfect on Dolphin 3.0, 100% speed, sound runs great, and I even have anti-alasting 9x SSAA and Anistropic filtering X16 with no slow downs at all. Graphics look better than on a real Wii. Didn't even need any FPS boosters enabled. To get rid of the sound glitches on Xenoblade, all I did was changed the audio back end from Dsound to Xaudio2 and it runs perfect. Solid 25 FPS which is 100% frames for that game. No slow downs at all. I see no graphics glitches whatsoever.

My CPU is an Intel I5 2500k not even OC'd yet with Radeon 6970 crossfire, but it is only using one of the GPUs for Dolphin. I would say those with a similar processor and a middle of the road GPU could get similar results on this emulator. Phenom II quad core, or Radeon 5XXX series, or Nvidia 4XX series could probably work.

To already have an emulator out that gets perfect emulation on many Wii games when the system is still in its prime is nothing less than amazing. They must have some real talent working on the Dolphin emulator.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 8th-September-2011 at 02:33.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Really?

if you have the settings maxed out then that is amazing, would you happen to be able to record some footage and post it on youtube?

id love to see for myself.

Thanks
    EP Points

For the PAL version, there is a patch to make the game run at 30 FPS, like the JAP version.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    Really?

if you have the settings maxed out then that is amazing, would you happen to be able to record some footage and post it on youtube?

id love to see for myself.
    Does the record feature on dolphin actually record the game play? I haven't messed with it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by meganova View Post
    For the PAL version, there is a patch to make the game run at 30 FPS, like the JAP version.
    You happen to have a link for this?

The resolution is also 1980x1080, forgot to include that.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 8th-September-2011 at 03:06.

Thanks
    EP Points

Go to Wiki's page of this game, there should be a link there.

There is built-in recording feature on Dolphin, and Dump Frames option on the OGL settings, but both a bit buggy for some games(OGL makes the game run slower),
    so it's better to use video recording software, like Fraps or Hypercam, etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to meganova For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Go to Wiki's page of this game, there should be a link there.

There is built-in recording feature on Dolphin, and Dump Frames option on the OGL settings, but both a bit buggy for some games(OGL makes the game run slower),
    so it's better to use video recording software, like Fraps or Hypercam, etc.
    The patch works great, 30FPS stable at 1920x1080 resolution.

I doubt I could run FRAPs and record while getting max frame rates, possibly if I overclock my CPU to near 5ghz. I had to bring the anti alasting, and anistropic filerting down a few notches to get the 30FPS, otherwise it was hovering near 26 and 27 FPS. I see basically no difference by taking those down a few notches. If I OC my CPU just a few hundred Mhz I could probably turn those back up and get 30 FPS. It still looks better than on a real Wii.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 8th-September-2011 at 03:25.

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PzKaAyA3y4

I had a few minutes to kill so I recorded a few battles from the beginning of the game, just to show how it looks on an emulator. In bigger battles I get some minor slowdowns, but it's only like 22-23 FPS compared to the normal PAL standard of 25, so it's no big deal, and barely noticeable. On a better PC than mine, it should run full speed at all times.

Edit: Although it doesn't really show on the video, I'm running the game on 1920x1080 as well.
    Last edited by Gare; 8th-September-2011 at 11:32.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PzKaAyA3y4

I had a few minutes to kill so I recorded a few battles from the beginning of the game, just to show how it looks on an emulator. In bigger battles I get some minor slowdowns, but it's only like 22-23 FPS compared to the normal PAL standard of 25, so it's no big deal, and barely noticeable. On a better PC than mine, it should run full speed at all times.

Edit: Although it doesn't really show on the video, I'm running the game on 1920x1080 as well.
    How much if any did recording slow the frame rates down? And what did you use to record?

I just now noticed that Dolphin is actually using both of my video cards in game, one GPU is running 30% usage, and the other is running 40%. I am not sure if that is getting me any improvement in performance, but they are both working according to MSI Afterburner. I wasn't aware Dolphin had Crossfire/SLI support. My CPU isn't even working terribly hard in game, its staying under 35C and never goes above 60% usage, and that is only at peaks.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 9th-September-2011 at 08:38.

Thanks
    EP Points

In the video I posted above, there's no slowdown. That's running at a constant 25 FPS. And I was using Fraps. I'm guessing recording would cause some slowdown in bigger fights, but in the areas I've tried, it didn't affect performance. My best advice is to try it yourself and see the results.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, correct me if I'm wrong,
    but AFAIK, Dolphin doesn't have SLI/Crossfire support, yet. It'll only utilize one GPU at the moment.

Thanks

Well, correct me if I'm wrong,
    but AFAIK, Dolphin doesn't have SLI/Crossfire support, yet. It'll only utilize one GPU at the moment.
    Its using both my GPUs. I know it doesn't do this on every game. But both GPUs seem to be active while Dolphin is running. I can start up minecraft and only one GPU is working and the other is 0% active.

I can post a SC with Dolphin running and MSI afterburner open showing my GPU usage if you don't believe me.

Thanks

I can confirm the 30 FPS patch makes the sound glitches way more frequent on Xenoblade. With just the stock FPS, sound glitches happened but were sorta rare. I honestly cannot tell a real difference between 25 and 30 FPS on this game, except one causes more sound glitches to occur. The game occasionally crashes, but its also rare, like the sound glitches. In 20 hours of game play its only crashed 4 times on me, and 2 of those times were in Ether Mines 15 minutes apart from each other. I'm still very impressed with it being able to emulate a modern console this well, with only minor problems. I switched back to the stock FPS, and since I did I haven't ran into another sound glitch.

Thanks

How did you get FRAPS to work with the emu? I tried to record a GameCube game and a Wii game, but the fps for FRAPS wasn't in the window, so I couldn't record it with FRAPS. Usually, there is a yellow (or red when recording) fps number on the screen if the program is recordable with FRAPS. Do I need it to be fullscreen to record? I have Dolphin v. 3.0 and the latest ver. of FRAPS. All of my PC games work fine with FRAPS. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta2002 View Post
    How did you get FRAPS to work with the emu? I tried to record a GameCube game and a Wii game, but the fps for FRAPS wasn't in the window, so I couldn't record it with FRAPS. Usually, there is a yellow (or red when recording) fps number on the screen if the program is recordable with FRAPS. Do I need it to be fullscreen to record? I have Dolphin v. 3.0 and the latest ver. of FRAPS. All of my PC games work fine with FRAPS. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Which rendering method are you using?

I don't suppose any of you have working links for the game ?

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

I'm not sure how to check and see which rendering method I have selected. I did get it to record with FRAPS, but it records at 30 fps (aka 50% speed), so everything is slower than usual. I have FRAPS set to record at 60 fps. BTW, what is the PAL60 option in the Wii configuration section of the Dolphin emu?