Thread: PSP Battery Recovery (EEPROM Crash)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Lightbulb PSP Battery Recovery (EEPROM Crash)

Well this past week no fault of my partner but 2 cheap Chinese batteries bit the dust.

Both coming down with exactly the same fault. the battery cannot be seen correctly by the PSP.

The PSP cannot switch on with the battery alone, with the AC Adapter connected it shows Orange Power Status (for only a few mins) and the only way the PSP can be powered is with the AC Adapter connected, Disconnecting the AC Adapter once the PSP was powered up would cause the PSP to shut off within half a second.

Also the Battery Icon in the top corner of the XMB was appearing and disappearing very often, checking the Battery Status in system settings showed that the PSP was being powered externally only.

So, I got to be thinking could it be the EEPROM has crashed in the battery itself? now there has been a few methods of possibly dealing with this but I personally preferred mine as it is Safer, Faster and more efficient.

The other methods was to Short Circuit the Battery for 10 seconds a few times, but as we know that could lead to battery leakage or explosion.

another was to hook up a car light or similar to drain the battery to nothing, this one takes some time and also may not do the trick as lithium ion battery controllers are designed not to let itself get to a dangerously low point and so this may not work so well.

What I decided to do was to take a small craft Knife and cut around the seams of the battery itself where the top joins to the bottom very carefully not to damage the cell or board inside and when I was inside I could see this.

You will have noticed I Marked 2 points. I Took my soldering Iron and freed the 2 points here releasing the Battery's board, and then waited a few mins and then soldered them back there by killing any and all power to the EEPROM like a full hard reset.
    (Batteries may vary but look for the 2 metal strips or wires coming from the actual battery to the board and disconnect them)

I Closed the battery up with a little super glue and put it inside my PSP and pressed the power button, and it fired right up! charges and discharges normally again!

Now Im not held responsible for any and all damage done to the battery, yourself, your PSP, your family or your dog from trying this.. but I thought I Would share this. its also worth remembering if this happens often its time to get another battery and if you can afford it and official Sony or other reputable brand one is recommended sometimes you do get what you pay for!
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 5th-September-2011 at 16:05.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kouen Hasuki For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the how to, 4 batteries came with my psp, 2 of them being 3rd party and Questionable looking so if the same thing happens i'll use this.
    Persona is so beast...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethegreat12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethegreat12 View Post
    Thanks for the how to, 4 batteries came with my psp, 2 of them being 3rd party and Questionable looking so if the same thing happens i'll use this.
    Very much glad to help! I've not done this to the other faulty battery yet as it is only 5 days old from a seller on ebay so he should replace it, if postage turns out to be more than what the battery was worth or he causes too much hassle ill repeat this with that battery too which will revive it

Thanks

cheers for that mate, might try it on one of my dead chinese batteries for my 2k

I am your usual forum loiterer...depleating bandwidth one post at a time.

If you download, don't forget to thank

Must keep kouen off the front page of PSP Uploads

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ResidentPsycho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just done the same method to another faulty battery

and its alive and running again also got the battery half refunded which is cool

Thanks
    EP Points

Definitely going to try this. I've got 2 batteries that did this exact thing. Hoping at least one of them will start be functional soon. Thanks for the how-to!