Thread: 5.1 analog system not working on media players?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default 5.1 analog system not working on media players?

Hi there, it's me again with more trouble

I've been trying to configure an old 5.1 ANALOG system [no hdmi or other digital sound plugs] but for some reason, the media players [Media player Classic from k-lite codec pack, and windows media player] just don't give a surround output, only stereo.

I've tried to modify the ffdshow audio decoder option to config it to 5.1, without luck. All I could find around the internet is also about digital surround systems only. So, any help? I'm sure I have to config it manually at this point, just dunno how.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yanazake View Post
    Hi there, it's me again with more trouble

I've been trying to configure an old 5.1 ANALOG system [no hdmi or other digital sound plugs] but for some reason, the media players [Media player Classic from k-lite codec pack, and windows media player] just don't give a surround output, only stereo.

I've tried to modify the ffdshow audio decoder option to config it to 5.1, without luck. All I could find around the internet is also about digital surround systems only. So, any help? I'm sure I have to config it manually at this point, just dunno how.
    What are you running your output from? If it's just a standard 3.5mm audio cable, then it's only going to get stereo. Can you give some specifics on your setup?

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah, yes~ I'm using 3 3.5mm cables, and the surround is perfectly configured in Windows itself. I'm almost sure that they work like they're suposed to when I'm playing some PC games [Assassin's creed 1~3 and Devil may Cry 4]

Thing is, while it's rightlu configured in windows, it's not configured for the players.

need more info?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yanazake View Post
    Ah, yes~ I'm using 3 3.5mm cables, and the surround is perfectly configured in Windows itself. I'm almost sure that they work like they're suposed to when I'm playing some PC games [Assassin's creed 1~3 and Devil may Cry 4]

Thing is, while it's rightlu configured in windows, it's not configured for the players.

need more info?
    Huh. Are the outputs recognized how they should be in windows? I don't really know how to word that, I hope you know what I mean....

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, yes, they ARE working and are recognized correctly. In the default windows sound config [or the codec config that comes with my MB] there is a scene of a desk with the computer and each of the speakers.

when I click one, I hear a sound playing from the respective speaker [If I click back left one, it plays on the left one in the back, if I click on subwoofer, it plays in the subwoofer]

This shows it's actually being recognized and is working correctly, I belive O_o

If I could at least configure the windows media player [I really prefer MP classic, but oh well...] it would be ok.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright, I've confirmed that my surround is working thanks to Devil May Cry 4 [gunshots were blasting my subwoofer away ]

Still no luck configuring the players... If anyone has any ideas...