Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft at risk

Thanks

Default Microsoft at risk

I don't know if this is the right spot to place my question,but here it goes:

Isn't somehow Microsoft being at risk because it only has a single gaming platform and because Xbox Live has some criticisms?I'll explain.
    Sony has PSP and now will have PlayStation Vita,so they don't depend exclusevely on PS3 and Move for sales purpose.And PlayStation Network is free to play ,something that is charged on Xbox's online service.Let's not forget that even though PS2 isn't the company's focus anymore, it still sells, and sells a lot,still having some years of life.Nintendo is the pioneer,having announced the Wii U with some interesting new features and the 3DS, which I think is too early to consider it a success or a failure, although it isn't selling as expected, but at least they don't rely only on Wii and Nintendo DS.However, Microsoft has got only Xbox 360 and some (at the moment) few titles for Kinect.I mean, I know it is a succesfull platform,but it also has a great problem:it's extremely unpopular in Japan, something very undesirable because of its huge consumer market.I know Microsoft dominates the PC game market,but I mean about consoles.I did not hear anythingh about a Xbox 360 successor nor about a portable console(probably because it would face severe competition from Nintendo DS and Sony PS Vita/PSP).MS stated that they intend to primarily focus on improving their current system with better games and features,what is really nice.So,what are your opinions about it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dougfunny64 View Post

Isn't somehow Microsoft being at risk because it only has a single gaming platform and because Xbox Live has some criticisms?I'll explain.
    Sony has PSP and now will have PlayStation Vita,so they don't depend exclusevely on PS3 and Move for sales purpose.And PlayStation Network is free to play ,something that is charged on Xbox's online service.Let's not forget that even though PS2 isn't the company's focus anymore, it still sells, and sells a lot,still having some years of life.Nintendo is the pioneer,having announced the Wii U with some interesting new features and the 3DS, which I think is too early to consider it a success or a failure, although it isn't selling as expected, but at least they don't rely only on Wii and Nintendo DS.However, Microsoft has got only Xbox 360 and some (at the moment) few titles for Kinect.I mean, I know it is a succesfull platform,but it also has a great problem:it's extremely unpopular in Japan, something very undesirable because of its huge consumer market.I know Microsoft dominates the PC game market,but I mean about consoles.I did not hear anythingh about a Xbox 360 successor nor about a portable console(probably because it would face severe competition from Nintendo DS and Sony PS Vita/PSP).MS stated that they intend to primarily focus on improving their current system with better games and features,what is really nice.So,what are your opinions about it?
    Original Xbox maybe?

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

I definitely wouldn't say microsoft is in anyway at risk console wise. Firstly they have PC gaming as well as the 360 so its not like they are completely dependant on console sales. Also up to date they have had no problem holding their own against Sony or Nintendo and have a massive fan base. I dont really see the point here? If anything its sony that could be considered to be in trouble, what with the amount of people who have left them in favour of Microsoft after the hacking of personal information. I dont really see the psp as that good a thing either, its a piece of shit with nothing almost nothing decent to offer. So yeah. That.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I see what you're saying, all of their avenues of profit (their gaming, anyhow, not their OS sales and what not) are mainly linked to the 360. However, I don't think there is a ton of money to be made on the handheld market either. Also, I don't believe Sony still manufactures PS2's, so there's no revenue there either. I think a better point would be, how is Nintendo going to stay afloat if gaming in general declines? Sony still has their general electronics sales to bring in revenue, and Microsoft obviously has a massive chunk of the software market. Nintendo, however, gets just about all of their revenue from gaming related things.

EDIT: Also, the PSP Vita looks bad ass, if not just for the hardware that they stuffed into it. Also, Microsoft really doesn't make any money from PC games. On the consoles, $10 comes straight off of the sale price to go towards licensing to MS/Sony/Nintendo, where PC games don't have that issue (hence why PC games tend to be, you guessed it, $10 cheaper. This is also why it pisses me off when Activision releases a game and charges $60 on the PC as well).

EDIT2: MS does have the whole Games for Windows Live thing, but lets face it, there's not really a lot of money in that. Also, I'm starting to sort of believe in the theory that MS is delaying DirectX development so that their consoles stay current longer. Which is just disappointing...
    Last edited by !nstaGib; 23rd-August-2011 at 16:50.

Thanks

Hmm,nicely stated,!nstaGib ,I understand your point of view.But doesn't the fact that PC games market is heavily affected by piracy harms Microsoft?Anyway,I realy don't see why Xbox has became successful.I'm not a Sony nor Nintendo fanboy (I only play PC games),but it doesn't have the amount of exclusive titles that PlayStation or Wii do.Add the fact that Xbox 360 doesn't have a massive availability of previous consoles titles(for the original Xbox) as Sony has,like PSOne Classic and PS3 HD remakes of PS2 best-sellers,like the God of War series or Wii Virtual Console.And PS3 sales are reaching Xbox's ones,even though the latter was released one year before the former.However,you mentioned Nintendo has revenue mainly on games,but that's exactly because they won't be at risk:they have tradition in the gaming market,and put all their talent effort in that.Franchises like Mario and Zelda will keep selling well,no matter which platforms they're going to be relesead on.
    Last edited by dougfunny64; 23rd-August-2011 at 17:18.

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

Hmm,nicely stated Steve,I understand your point of view.But doesn't the fact that PC games market is heavily affected by piracy harms Microsoft?Anyway,I realy don't see why Xbox has became successful.I'm not a Sony nor Nintendo fanboy (I only play PC games),but it doesn't have the amount of exclusive titles that PlayStation or Wii do.Add the fact that Xbox 360 doesn't have a massive availability of previous consoles titles(for the original Xbox) as Sony has,like PSOne Classic and PS3 HD remakes of PS2 best-sellers,like the God of War series or Wii Virtual Console.And PS3 sales are reaching Xbox's ones,even though the latter was released one year before the former,so I wouldn't be so unconcerned as MS seems to be now.
    Thats really up to opinion I guess. I for one have always owned sony consoles and have never had an xbox or a 360. Some people would say that microsoft has the better exclusives, others would say sony. I try not to pay attention to that kinda stuff though. Also I have no knowledge on how much microsoft lose on piracy so I cant really comment there.

Thanks

Okay,I guess only the time(and market) will say if my forethoughts will be true or not.But thanks for the civilized answers I've got,it's something quite rare on many discussion forums nowadays.
    Last edited by dougfunny64; 23rd-August-2011 at 17:24.

Thanks

The X box 360 is the most popular console system of the latest generation in the US and many other countries. The US is still the biggest market in the world for gaming, and Microsoft is at the top of the console sales in the largest market in the world for gaming. So they are doing very, very well. As much as I hate the X box 360, still butthurt over 2 of them going RROD, they sell the hell out of them. If anything, Sony is the one losing in the market, because the PS3 is more expensive than the 360 or Wii. And X box live isn't going under any time soon either, even when their competitor Sony offers their PSN for free, XBL is still more popular, and if Microsoft figured out how to get that many dumb asses to pay for it, when their competitor offers it for free, then they are genius.

This topic sounds like more of a Sony/Nintendo fanboyish hate for Microsoft than anything else.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 23rd-August-2011 at 18:15.

Thanks

Yeah, even here in Brazil, Xbox 360 seems to be popular(not as much as PS3) ,nevertheless people pay(and pay a lot) for Xbox Live multiplayer gaming.Whereas the averageincome(in USD) is quite lower than US,Europe or Japan,and considering also the astronomical taxes paid by the purchasers, I'm impressed by how much it's so popular here.Some players actually have two consolesne modchipped to play pirate discs and the other one to play original games online .

Thanks
    EP Points

I myself like pc, but if not on a P.C. I prefer sony systems they just have the better games IMO. I play mainly rpg's. but on the note of PS3 and their PSN being free as well as the piracy lets not forget that the ps3 can have jailbreaking done as well as the attacks by anon a few months back,and playstations poor response i.e. waiting to the last minute to tell the customers your personal info might have been stolen.
    that is sure to hurt sony's console sales.
    so in summary.

I like sony systems.
    psn is free.
    xbox live is not.
    psn has been hacked.
    so has xbox live.
    microsoft dealt swiftly and efficiently with the problem.
    sony did not.
    and the piracy argument is null and void as given enough time any system can be modded and the games pirated.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

They are at a loss as of right now considering they're main focus, but i do stress the importance of how their model of capital comes in. they make a very large decent sum of money because it is their sole focus as well as they have some of the best studios (in terms of gaining said capital) on their private roster as well. I just can only hope that microsoft will utilize said company in the way it was originally used ( If you don't understand it's rare)
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by !nstaGib View Post
    I see what you're saying, all of their avenues of profit (their gaming, anyhow, not their OS sales and what not) are mainly linked to the 360. However, I don't think there is a ton of money to be made on the handheld market either. Also, I don't believe Sony still manufactures PS2's, so there's no revenue there either. I think a better point would be, how is Nintendo going to stay afloat if gaming in general declines? Sony still has their general electronics sales to bring in revenue, and Microsoft obviously has a massive chunk of the software market. Nintendo, however, gets just about all of their revenue from gaming related things.

EDIT: Also, the PSP Vita looks bad ass, if not just for the hardware that they stuffed into it. Also, Microsoft really doesn't make any money from PC games. On the consoles, $10 comes straight off of the sale price to go towards licensing to MS/Sony/Nintendo, where PC games don't have that issue (hence why PC games tend to be, you guessed it, $10 cheaper. This is also why it pisses me off when Activision releases a game and charges $60 on the PC as well).

EDIT2: MS does have the whole Games for Windows Live thing, but lets face it, there's not really a lot of money in that. Also, I'm starting to sort of believe in the theory that MS is delaying DirectX development so that their consoles stay current longer. Which is just disappointing...
    well since nintendo did start off as a card manufacturer they could go back to that

no offense but are you stupid? you do realise that all these companies in the world do have shares and or stock in eachother just because nintendo from my point of view has failed in the gaming market this gen doesnt mean that they wont be able to stay afloat they are not sega afterall who stopped making machines after the dreamcast temporarily imho who knows what the future is with that company.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 24th-August-2011 at 11:31.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonised View Post
    just because nintendo from my point of view has failed in the gaming market this gen doesnt mean that they wont be able to stay afloat
    worldwide_totals.png

Yeah, they'll be fine.
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL I'M SO WAAAAACCKYYYYYYY

Thanks

Lawl, Nintendo hasn't failed at all.
    I actually use my wii the most but then again. I like Guilty Gear, Metroid, and Zelda.
    The only things I really played on my 360 was SFIV and Fallout and those weren't even that good.
    On top of that I'm only looking forward to one game and that's Dead Island, but yeah if Nintendo is failing then they fail sooooo good!

Thanks

actually they have failed to tap the traditional market with the old gamers games should be fun and be able to be played without having to waggle your remote or risk of injury that is why I see the wii as a failure we have a wii but we dont play it at all the kids have only played it 5 times and me only once I get more use out of the 360 than the wii.