Thread: Problem Playing Pokemon Soul Silver...

Thanks

Unhappy Problem Playing Pokemon Soul Silver...

Okay. I'm sure this has been addressed before but I don't see the thread. (I say this because I saw a thread, with no answers, similar to the one I'm posting)

I'm playing Pokemon Soul Silver. It was running smoothly for a while but about the time I got to the first town is when it started really messing up. These problems include but are not limited to:

The game freezing- Generally as I go into some sort of battle. The music will still play but the screen will become black and stay black rather then introducing the fight graphics. Occasionally, however, it will just freeze for absolutely no prompt, either going black or simply freezing the picture.

Crashing- On occasion it will start running extremely slowly. Sometimes it fixes itself but sometimes it doesn't and it crashes. (I know that the DS emulator generally runs slowly anyway, especially for these pokemon games. But I mean even slower then normal. I know sometimes it could be my own CPU's usage but not when it crashes shortly after.)

Glitching- This is the one that's prompted me to post here. It starts to glitch up. And become unplayable. This has happened twice to me now.

The details about this one is that at some point all the people (and pokemon) on the screen turns into blocks of glitched data. They move and you can even talk. But you can't leave the section you're at or get into a battle or else the game goes black. No music or video or anything

This has happened to me
    1) When in the first actual town with a gym, I spoke to the teacher and he brought me to the pokemon school. I walked in the building and everyone was glitched. I walked out and it crashed
    2) In the first I go to have a battle and after I win, the game glitches up. I've tried this battle a few times now and it always glitches up. I can't leave or continue on lest it crash.

Here are the specs:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)
    System Manufacturer: Acer
    System Model: Aspire 4339
    BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.02
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU P4600 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 1782MB RAM

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Celeron)
    DAC type: Internal

Emulator: DeSmuME 0.7.9 x86 msvc 1500
    Rom: 4781 - Pokemon SoulSilver (U)(Xenophobia)
    The Rom was acquired at: http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_D...hobia%29/50240

So what is wrong and how can I fix it (tell me with baby steps) or is there a link to an English version of the game that does not have this glitch?

-Wolf

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Um thats the Jap rom you linked... but I will just use a rom from my external instead

I will do some quick tests myself today

A battery save near the glitch would help though

I can tell you now though that the rom will not be the problem

DeSmuME 0.9.7 seems to be the last official version so you either just done a typo or have an old version
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-August-2011 at 10:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oops Sorry. This is the Rom link, http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_D..._%28U%29/50859

As for the Emulator Yea. I typoed it.

I've done saving in game as well as Save State. And restarting and reloading the game and emulator.

How would I do a battery save?

I've played other games fine in the emulator so I don't think it's the emulators fault and I'm sure the Rom is good to. From what I've gathered when I've played other games and looking around the forums and all, I'm guessing that it's probably some setting or plug in or just a freak mess up, most likely. But I'm unsure.

Edit~
    Also, I forgot to say. Thank you for putting time in to help me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Can you post your game save? not the savestates (.ds1), but the actual one(.dsv).

You can find it inside the DeSmuMe Battery folder.

Thanks

4781 - Pokemon SoulSilver (U)(Xenophobia).zip

I'm guessing that's what you needed? I wasn't sure how to post it so basically just winged it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep, that one.

Playing the game with your save for about 30 minutes, and trying to reproduce the problems you have, but still that doesn't happen for me.

Here, try these settings :-
    - 3D Settings = SoftRasterizer
    - Enable only three options at the bottom, leave Depth Comparison Threshold to 0.
    - all other settings are set default
    - if you somehow using frameskip option, enable auto-minimize skipping and limit framerate

I've seen some others who have the same issues with yours, no permanent solutions as of yet, even after applying the patch.
    Just keep saving using the in-game save, and savestates, and whenever the glitch happen(like distorted image, or something),
    don't access any houses or go into battle, instead save it with in-game save and then use it to load your game again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to meganova For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay thank you for looking into it. I'll make sure the options are set as you suggested and save like you have. I'm sure if it's happening to numerous people here and there, there must be some sort of common link, probably on the computers end.
    Cause I know I've tried playing other games, (Pokemon White comes to mind which is even more complicated in the 3d and all) Yet no problems at all.

Anyway. Thank you very much for your time.I really appreciate it. I'll just try to work with it for now and hope it sorts itself out.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSpirit View Post
    Okay thank you for looking into it. I'll make sure the options are set as you suggested and save like you have. I'm sure if it's happening to numerous people here and there, there must be some sort of common link, probably on the computers end.
    Cause I know I've tried playing other games, (Pokemon White comes to mind which is even more complicated in the 3d and all) Yet no problems at all.

Anyway. Thank you very much for your time.I really appreciate it. I'll just try to work with it for now and hope it sorts itself out.
    Ah yes, these problems happen mostly on those who have low-end computer, like yours.
    Those with high-end, getting the graphic glitches instead.

Just keep saving between ingame and savestates, and hope the problems will happen at minimum.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sorry I didn't get back to you I was asleep by the time you replied , was just getting up with your last reply lol

Thanks to Meganova though for covering this

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meganova View Post
    Ah yes, these problems happen mostly on those who have low-end computer, like yours.
    Those with high-end, getting the graphic glitches instead.

Just keep saving between ingame and savestates, and hope the problems will happen at minimum.
    I plan on hopefully getting a better computer again soon lol. My a key decided to stop working so now I need to use a USB keyboard. My gateway wasn't bad until the motherboard crashed.

When I look around, what basics would you suggest me look for to help emulators run better?(I'm not doing super high end gaming... The most taxing emulators I use is PS1 and DS for the most part, though I kind of want to try Gamecube and PS2 if I can get my head around them)

And also, thank you Zorlon for first looking into this for me as well lol.