Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks

internet will be even faster and online gaming will be even more popular, there wont be a big leap in graphics, 3d fad will die out, stuff like call of duty will be milked to death with countless subscriptions and other extras. real games will be download only. unique games will be for nerds only. etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't understand why people want digital distribution.
    Spend hours downloading one game
    or
    Go to the store and buy it

Seems like a simple choice to me. An increase in speed won't matter if you've only got 20GB of bandwidth a month.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Exactly ^

Thanks

thats another thing that wil vanish (the data cap).

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    Easily less than an hour if you have a good connection.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by sockesocke View Post
    thats another thing that wil vanish (the data cap).

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Easily less than an hour if you have a good connection.
    Depends on the size of the game.

With a download speed of 600kb/s you could get 2GB in an hour.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 11th-August-2011 at 18:23.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

or

Seems like a simple choice to me. An increase in speed won't matter if you've only got 20GB of bandwidth a month.
    Depends on the ISP, I suppose. I know I have went well above what would be considered 'monthly allotment' for bandwidth for many ISPs. Just downloaded 50+ Gigs of PS2 Roms in the past week alone. What I would like to see and would hope to happen is the government(USA) will finally release the restrictions on bandwidth. It seems to me its the smal ISPs, meaning not Time Warner, Comcast, etc., that don't put restrictions on bandwidth allotment. When a person has both Speed+Apparent Unlimited Bandwidth, going digital looks more appealing.

Reading this thread I realized a lot of the things in the .hack games could come about.(Not the truly sci-fi things like Aria) The PS2 games heavily hinted at 'gaming on the go' in the G.U. games and the first four games began the 3-D Glasses aspect of the series.

Thanks
    EP Points

Depends on the size of the game.

With a download speed of 600kb/s you could get 2GB in an hour.
    If I can max out my connection on Steam, I can grab 8-10 gigs very quickly at 6-7MByte/sec. Too lazy to do the math but I reckon it's less than an hour. If games ever become download-only in the future, hopefully most people will have a connection similar to that.

Thanks

I get around 1.2 MB sec for download on Steam. Part of the problem in my area however is the lines. Past phone companies didn't do squat in taking care of them and the latest cable company had to replace every single line in town!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    If I can max out my connection on Steam, I can grab 8-10 gigs very quickly at 6-7MByte/sec. Too lazy to do the math but I reckon it's less than an hour. If games ever become download-only in the future, hopefully most people will have a connection similar to that.
    I get 10.5 an hour on 3 MB/s, so yeah, probably half an hour for you. And I don't think either of us has a bandwidth cap, right? I know that if I have one, it's well over a terabyte as I've downloaded more than that over the course of a week before (directly after formatting a couple computers).

Thanks
    EP Points

I eventually did the math, and yes, you're right. And nope, I don't have a cap as far as I know. Thank god for that. Some of my Steam games are in the 15~ gigs region.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Evil American ISPs love capping bandwidth. I was looking into some various ISPs last week and the cap was absolutely pathetic.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Evil American ISPs love capping bandwidth. I was looking into some various ISPs last week and the cap was absolutely pathetic.
    Verizon doesn't cap. Or throttle. Or anything like that. They've got the provision in the ToS saying they can if shit hits the fan, but they don't at the moment.

Thanks

If I can ever get internet faster than dial-up, it would have to have a cap 1TB or over, considering in 5-6 hours I spend at the library once a week, I download 1.5GB of data downloading videos and podcasts each time I go. Plus considering the average 360p youtube video is 20MB, watching 50 videos on youtube is about equal to 1GB, and if you have a lot more spare time/stream videos for at least a couple hours a day,downloading games, and playing games over live/psn/steam, a 20GB a month cap could be gone in less than a week. Even if I was working 8 hours a day, I would probably waste my cap in a 1.5 weeks. But hopefully in 5-10 years, internet will become cheaper and more available (I mean if companies charged 15$ a month for a 5MBPS connection, way more people would sign up for it, thus giving the company a huge profit (plus that would mean that everyone except for unemployed would be able to afford high speed internet). Not to mention that theoretically, once 5G technology is developed, internet connection speed will be nothing to worry about if it is widely available and cheap. I hope that within the next 10 years gaming will have improved and cheap global 5G wireless internet will be available to 98% of all people who wish to use the internet. Sorry for the long rant, slow internet, as stated in some of my previous posts really makes me angry.

Thanks

or

Where I live it would take an hour just to drive to the store to buy it.. Whereas on the other hand, I can generally download a fairly large game on Steam in less than that time. And besides, why bother going out at all if you don't have to? I'd rather start a download and take a nap, or take a shower, or do one of a million other things I do every day than stop everything I'm doing to go out and buy one game. I mean, it's not like I'll be sitting there on the edge of my seat for every single byte that's downloaded.