Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks
    EP Points

Given the fact all 3 current consoles can be FTP'd into once running unsigned code makes a proprietary format completely pointless.

You can still get the data off the disc regardless, through FTP.

It's a given all future consoles are going to have WiFi or an ethernet port meaning FTP will be possible if running unsigned code is.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Given the fact all 3 current consoles can be FTP'd into once running unsigned code makes a proprietary format completely pointless.

You can still get the data off the disc regardless, through FTP.

It's a given all future consoles are going to have WiFi or an ethernet port meaning FTP will be possible if running unsigned code is.
    You can also use a flash drive or external hard drive .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    You can't flash any DVD-ROM drive with Kreon firmware to get it to read 360 discs. The Samsung SH-D162D and Samsung SH-D163B are the only two that support it.
    I never said you could. But xbox games are not proprietary and can be read very easily using a normal dvd rom in a pc and wxripper. And even though kreon/0800 drives read the full disk, wxripper still reads and rips the image. Thats waht I meant, he made it out as if it was proprietary and needed a special DVD drive to read the games, that was the point I was saying was wrong.

What you say also about ethernet ports is true too, that is another method to obtain an image. It is all about incentive to hack. Once they know there is a way to run the image, like through the psp memory stick or using the Wii's DVD rom capability, they will just start making a hack that dumps the games on the system then move it over to pc to be torrented, and run using the stated methods.

But I believe a really good proprietary disk. Something with holes in it or something where the disk stops and the laser reads to check if a hole is present and maybe commicates with the roof of the disk drive or something, then continues playing the game.. there is no way anyone could replicate this. And that on top of no hard drive/usb/memory card or ethernet input could possibly make a console hack proof. As no burnable media would be available and other disk formats can't be used, and no way to run an image, even if they somehow get an image of game.

A little far fetched, but do-able with a little imagination, I believe.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 8th-August-2011 at 18:07.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    I never said you could. But xbox games are not proprietary and can be read very easily using a normal dvd rom in a pc and wxripper. And even though kreon/0800 drives read the full disk, wxripper still reads and rips the image. Thats waht I meant, he made it out as if it was proprietary and needed a special DVD drive to read the games, that was the point I was saying was wrong.

What you say about also about ethernet ports is true too, therat is another method to obtain an image. It is all about incentive to hack. Once they know there is a way run the image, like through the psp memory stick or using the Wiis DVD rom cabability, they will just making a hack that dumps the games on the system then move it over to pc to be torrented, and run using the stated methods.

But I believe a really good proprietary disk. Something with holes in it or something where the disk stops and the laser reads to check if a hole is present and maybe commucates with the roof of the disk drive or somethiung, then continues playing the game.. there is no way anyone could replicate this. And that on top of no hard drive/usb/memory card or ethernet input could possibly make a console hack proof. As no burnable media would be available and other disk formats can't be used, and no way to run an image, even if they somehow get an image of game.

A little far fetched, but do-able with a little imagination, I believe.
    The game would have to pause at random.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

No, not if its in memory like most games run today.. when a games is reading from the disk it is really loading the memory with info to then be played. A buffer or something will help this happen.

Remember the future will make these very easy to implement.

Thanks

Something like that could be very hard to hack, but if it was created by a person/group it can be hacked by another person/group.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    Proprietary media formats aren't going to stop piracy. There will always be an exploit, be it hardware or software.
    PSP is a good example of this... Counterfeit UMD's themselves would cost more than its worth to replicate if at all yet a work around was found

Thanks

In 5 years, we will not be making any new games with expansive power. the gaming industry will NOT have the money for fancy new features and graphics. new video game systems will be designed to work like the old systems of the early/mid ninties. All of the new crap-ass "modern" games will be freeware, and the consoles will be sold at pawn shops for around $10-$20. nostalgia will be shined upon, and a new company will present itself, with a console with 24-32bit processing, fast paced graphics and hand-drawn pixle art, and over 500mb of content in every game disk/cart. the games will be long, dificult, and rewarding, allowing the player to develope real skills and challenge each other to a game of (insert new game here...)...
    Rabid Media Online!
    Check out original artwork and games by ME!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    Something like that could be very hard to hack, but if it was created by a person/group it can be hacked by another person/group.
    There would have to be an incentive to hack it. Like how would an image be played if it was got off one of the disks somehow?.. or how would they burn a game disk, since the originals are electric magnetically pressed when being produced.

If it comes down to finding a way to burn or make a dupe disk, then it would have to be super precise, like right down to the hole being exactly at the right LBA on the disk etc... like I keep saying there is a way somehow to make it happen, it needs to be made so that its just too much of a big deal to hack. or will cost too much to make replica disk etc, ... different games can have different hole locations or something, again making it very complicated to make mass produced replica disks if they get around to that.

And the top of the disk drive could track with a second laser or something, then both lasers do a high five during "hole checks" then continue playing lol
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 8th-August-2011 at 18:36.

Thanks

virtual reality :l 'nuff said (if it does happen)
    HEAVEN OR HELL... DUEL ONE.... LET'S ROCK

Thanks
    EP Points

what do i think will happen? well all these stupid phones will wipe the mobile market with thier short apps instead of actual games (hence why i wll never get one as the thrill wears off on them very quickly) also i see sony comming out with a new playstation model and microsoft doing the same, basicly both working alittle better (hopefully) than the current models. every game will still be on most of the systems so it doesnt matter which one you get, sony will have most rpg and microsoft will have crappy fps games that are only good online where all the assholes are. we will have a new gta, new pokemon game for the 3ds before it blows over. the ps vita will see some ps2 titles but not many and dmc will oficially die (why did they have to slaughter dante, why?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    what do i think will happen? well all these stupid phones will wipe the mobile market with thier short apps instead of actual games (hence why i wll never get one as the thrill wears off on them very quickly) also i see sony comming out with a new playstation model and microsoft doing the same, basicly both working alittle better (hopefully) than the current models. every game will still be on most of the systems so it doesnt matter which one you get, sony will have most rpg and microsoft will have crappy fps games that are only good online where all the assholes are. we will have a new gta, new pokemon game for the 3ds before it blows over. the ps vita will see some ps2 titles but not many and dmc will oficially die (why did they have to slaughter dante, why?)
    Smells like pessimism
    I do happen to agree, replace dante with zero and I could've typed that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by tiny
    Smells like pessimism
    That's what this thread is all about. Oh and people like rabidmedia that were clearly drunk posting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    That's what this thread is all about. Oh and people like rabidmedia that were clearly drunk posting.
    I wasn't drunk, just really high... as a kite...
    Rabid Media Online!
    Check out original artwork and games by ME!!!

Thanks

Where do I see gaming in five years?

Exactly where it is now.