Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    Future tablets may also be able to hook up to TVs wirelessly and the tablet will then switch and become a keyboard and mouse interface, Wii U style. It will be in the settings to do this.

Downloadable conrtent is too risky IMO. Hackers will tear the security to pieces.

They need to bring out a "locked down" disc format for consoles, where games can only be read on the consoles and not copied. I can't understand why they dont atleast do this now, as it does sound simple when you think about it.

A tamperproof Disk drive, CPS3 style. Even if they get 5yrs out of it, its something.
    GDIs can only be read by Dreamcast .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Yeah, but because it also read CD's, that was it's drawback, that you could put the GD dump onto a CD and boot it.

This console will need to play nothing but this disc format. and pcs wont be able to burn or read these disks or interface the disk drive to make dumps. They really just need to enforce the patent heavily enough to stop this happening.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    from what ive seen and found out it was just one of the first companies to use it, and it may have funded it a bit, not positive and don't have time to look right now
    Sony effectively owns the BluRay format. If you look inside your fancy BluRay player, maybe it's branded as Phillips, Pioneer, whatever. Look at the labeling on the lens or the casing around it. Sony. Look on the BluRay site's FAQ page. The only thing in all caps is PLAYSTATION 3. Sony initiated the development of the medium, paid for the majority of its development, provided the personnel, and are reaping the benefits. It's revenge for the failure of Betamax.

Its sad when you think about it, but it WILL die within the next 10yrs., it has nothing going for it and the newer consoles will kill all its bullshit once and for all. And you can quote me on that.
    http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/5697
    http://www.gamespy.com/articles/492/492075p1.html

All I'll say about that.

They need to bring out a "locked down" disc format for consoles, where games can only be read on the consoles and not copied. I can't understand why they dont atleast do this now, as it does sound simple when you think about it.
    360 discs (HDDVD) can only be read in the 360 and in a very specific version of PC disk drive with a custom firmware.
    Same with Wii and GC discs, when they came out. And neither of those consoles read other disc formats normally.
    Last edited by Colamisu; 7th-August-2011 at 20:47.

Thanks

I looked at your links, but what do you mean "All I'll say about that".. are you agreeing with me?

I'm only asking since you quoted me and posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    360 discs (HDDVD) can only be read in the 360 and in a very specific version of PC disk drive with a custom firmware.
    Same with Wii and GC discs, when they came out. And neither of those consoles read other disc formats normally.
    The 360 reads and plays DVD movies also which in some cases are dual layer.. The Wii was gonna be made as a dvd player so the drive supports it, but they held back on it, but hackers brought it out of it and made it do it, so the softmod makes it read burnt DVD's and play the games. But yeah the GC is a good example, that worked against pirates AFAIK, couldnt be bothered googling to ind out if it was hacked.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 21:12.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The 360 reads and plays DVD movies also which in some cases are dual layer.. The Wii was gonna be made as a dvd player but they held back on it, but hackers brought it out of it and made it do it, so the softmod makes it read burnt DVD's and play the games. But yeah the GC is a good example, that worked against pirates AFAIK, couldnt be bothered googling to ind out if it was hacked.

What are you trying to get at though?.. very Kryptic.
    You can't just burn a 360 game to a DL DVD and play it on a 360. The Gamecube uses mini-DVDs, it isn't some specialized format.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    You can't just burn a 360 game to a DL DVD and play it on a 360.
    Fuck, I know that mate*rolls eyes*.. but as you know, it IS hacked and plays burnt dual layer DVD games. I know I do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    The Gamecube uses mini-DVDs, it isn't some specialized format.
    OK, well in that case, who are you telling that too, me or Colamisu?... it was probably the disk size and all that other shit that put hackers off bothering to mess with it, they prob could have hacked it if wanted. But the PS2 and Xbox hack scene stole its thunder..... so whatever.

This is confusing, is there a system out there that its drive reads only its unique game format and that has been hacked to play burnt games?
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 21:22.

Thanks
    EP Points

I know the Atari Jaguar CD discs hold like 890MB or something silly.

Not sure if it's relevant, but hey!

Thanks

That was too fucking shit to hack lol. No one would buy the games, that is if you could find someone with a Jag, or even better someone with the Jag and it's CD attachment to sell the games too.

They should make a square game disk, one that sets into the drive and instead of spinning it will have 4 lasers or maybe even 2 that track each side or maybe even pivot like spotlights and talk to each other(think of the loading times it will save) And you can't fit a square peg into a round hole/divet, so no other drive can take the disk. It would be like an uber fututristic cartridge interfaced by lasers instead of pins. But the drive itself also has to be interface-proof so game dumps can't be made, that is the tricky part. Once a dump is made the drive will be bypassed and games played on a hard drive or SD card or through network port
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 22:34.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For the record, I didn't mean to sound like a dick earlier. My whole thing is if I have a choice between paying and not paying for the exact same thing I'm going to chose not paying. Unless of course punishment for it becomes feasible. Also by bonus physical content I meant stuff that comes with LEs and whatnot. I like soundtracks, figures, art books etc...and buy them anyway but it's quite nice when I can get them pre-packaged with the game which is something that would go away if the industry became download only and I'd have to buy all of it individually. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    Sony effectively owns the BluRay format. If you look inside your fancy BluRay player, maybe it's branded as Phillips, Pioneer, whatever. Look at the labeling on the lens or the casing around it. Sony. Look on the BluRay site's FAQ page. The only thing in all caps is PLAYSTATION 3. Sony initiated the development of the medium, paid for the majority of its development, provided the personnel, and are reaping the benefits. It's revenge for the failure of Betamax.

Just how old are you?

LOL @ Atari Jaguar

Thanks
    EP Points

N Gage QD had no way of pirating the games, I don't think. You could pirate the games for the original N Gage because it has an SD card slot whereas the QD doesn't.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Even I remember Beta, and I'm only 27.

... Shut up...

Thanks
    EP Points

I remember Betamax and I'm 20?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm 23 and I've actually seen Beta tapes because my grandma owns some. But yeah I only know it even exists because of much older people.

Thanks
    EP Points

I looked at your links, but what do you mean "All I'll say about that".. are you agreeing with me?

I'm only asking since you quoted me and posted it.
    Look at the dates on the articles. 2001. The "death of PC gaming" has been heralded by reporters, analysts, and etc. since there has been PC gaming. PC gaming will never die until PCs themselves die. And I don't see that happening in our lifetime.

The 360 reads and plays DVD movies also which in some cases are dual layer.. The Wii was gonna be made as a dvd player so the drive supports it, but they held back on it, but hackers brought it out of it and made it do it, so the softmod makes it read burnt DVD's and play the games. But yeah the GC is a good example, that worked against pirates AFAIK, couldnt be bothered googling to ind out if it was hacked.
    Neither of those are relevant. There is no way to play unintended content on an unmodded 360 through use of its ability to read and play DVD movies, therefore the ability to read DVD movies does not affect whether or not the console is secure. The Wii has the capability to read DVD movies, but it is disabled by the firmware by default. Therefore, the ability to read DVD movies does not affect whether or not the console is secure.

There are mod chips for the Gamecube, same as there are for the Wii, 360, PS2, PS1, etc. There's no free-ish way to mod it like there is with the PS2/360/Wii because there's not really any software running on it, but it is moddable. Basically the thing that makes this hardware cycle so easy to mod is not the insecurity of the media, but the reliance on a console operating system which, by definition, will be vulnerable to some sort of software attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Just how old are you?
    22. I've never actually seen a Betamax tape myself, but I'm aware of it. I've picked up a bit of the history of modern consumer electronics through my many journeys through the internet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Fuck, I know that mate*rolls eyes*.. but as you know, it IS hacked and plays burnt dual layer DVD games. I know I do it myself.

OK, well in that case, who are you telling that too, me or Colamisu?... it was probably the disk size and all that other shit that put hackers off bothering to mess with it, they prob could have hacked it if wanted. But the PS2 and Xbox hack scene stole its thunder..... so whatever.

This is confusing, is there a system out there that its drive reads only its unique game format and that has been hacked to play burnt games?
    The PS3 lasted quite a while before getting hacked.