Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    Well define low end pc. A 300 quid pc?

Its a case of a 150 quid console vs a 300 quid pc then, in which case you have to ask yourself why build a 300 quid pc for games when a 150 quid console does it for half price. Yeah I know you're gonna pull the whole "pc's can do more" crap. But also you are talking bottom of the barrel pc gaming at lowest res with 35 fps max. Try running Crysis 2 or Metro 2033 or Just Cause 2 and your 2x the price pc will fall flat on its face, whereas the xbox 360 will play them soundly. DX9 is almost identical on the xbox as the Dx11 games on the pc, and its funny how from Dx9 the updated Dx's are nothing more than way to help the pc cope better when playing games and only adds very little graphical differnces to Dx9. So again the future will build on this already stupid aspect of pc gaming and that is why it is somewhat pointless when you think about to build a pc for gaming unless going highend to get some quaility from the games to define a difference.
    There is a noticeable difference between DX9, 10, and 11. Computers CAN do more, it's not just some arbitrary declaration. Here's a fun feature that no tablet has: A disc drive.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

I think we're talking way too far into the future here. Games are not going all download in the next five years. There's no way I'm downloading 10 gbs+ of crap on my console every time I want a new game. Anybody with a bad connection would be furious. Give it like 30 years, then maybe. I foresee them simply making something better than a disk and it becoming the new game distribution method of choice. It would load faster and hold more. Otherwise you'd need to fork over a crap load of extra cash for a console with a ton of memory in order to play the "next-gen" games (not to mention going back to the requirement of a high-speed connection. It'll take more than 5 years for -everybody- to have a high-speed connection).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Not having a manual and a shiny box is incentive enough for piracy? You and your brother find new ways to make me facepalm every day.
    I'm not spending money on something I can't get a physical copy of.

With a pirated copy, I can install and play at my leisure, without needing internet access or another program running, and back it up as many times as I like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    There is a noticeable difference between DX9, 10, and 11. Computers CAN do more, it's not just some arbitrary declaration.
    There is indeed a difference but it is usually shown as a demo of its power in a modern game at that time, but then seemingly fades out and is barely used again, just lightly used, like DX10 was in games around it time. And the funnier thing is, at the time it usually hammers the pc when gaming if it is used to its full extent, so what is the purpose of doing it?, Also most of the major changes are only implemented to show you how games will look and why you should run to the pc store and buy a new card. But truth is, it is nothing more than a refinement to help the pc run games better(more easily) and a sales pitch to make you buy more stuff, for example when MS came out with DX10 in '06 it was Vista only. So you can see what they want you to do... buy Vista!!.. OH, and obviously a newer card that supports it. It's a fucking joke!!

And the whole DX11 thing with its tessellation, again its a pc thing even though it does have some relevance it is still focused at helping the pc keep afloat in a bad way, not in a progressive way. It is just a hidden graphic handling process. Of course this can be used to better things in future, but only the real fast cards can make good use of it, so its kinda pointless, almost like Physix, it kills the cpu and for some just better than basic physical movement. Why don't they bring this stuff out when it works properly.. the answer is because they need a reason to make you go buy their yearly GPU updated card. Look at the Radeon 6000 series, what is the difference between that and the 5000 series, very little is the answer... so why do they bother- again it just another pointless attempt to keep the pc industry afloat. Then you look at the other ripoff tricks like Vista to Win 7... or the GTX480 to the 580..... can you believe people actually go out and re-buy stuff, because it is meant to be what the previous version was? And this is the PC's claim to fame over the last few years and what is keeps it afloat. A fucking ripoff industry

Its sad when you think about it, but it WILL die within the next 10yrs., it has nothing going for it and the newer consoles will kill all its bullshit once and for all. And you can quote me on that.

Here's a fun feature that no tablet has: A disc drive.
    WTF!! just like the other zombie bastards, you too don't know how to read and understand a point.

Why are you saying that?....tablets don't/wont need a disk drive since they will be used for common things.. your pc will be used for other things. How many more times am I going to have to point this out.

PC's will still exist but there will be no need to use them as much as we do today, since tablets will cover a wide range of there tasks, as some tablets do today, with ebay, youtube, facebook skype, and other general browsing etc... *sigh*

All these factors change the industry , just like Netbooks have put a huge dent in laptop sales, people realise they dont need some things on a laptop and buy a Netbook instead, and see how that affects the laptop industry... things change, and all these newer things make PC's more redundant by the year. But of course they still have some use, but not much most of the time, thats why I think only 1 will be needed per household.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

With a pirated copy, I can install and play at my leisure, without needing internet access or another program running, and back it up as many times as I like.
    Pretty much my position on things. If you're going to make me pay for just a license and then force me to use all kinds of crap JUST to get the game running, then I will NOT pay for your license and pirate it instead, with all the crap removed. And you know what? I'm sure it'll run more stable than your official paid release.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Pretty much my position on things. If you're going to make me pay for just a license and then force me to use all kinds of crap JUST to get the game running, then I will NOT pay for your license and pirate it instead, with all the crap removed. And you know what? I'm sure it'll run more stable than your official paid release.
    I see where you're coming from, but you guys are assuming that digital distribution = only Steam. Example: I got the digital version of The Witcher 2 from game.co.uk. I basically got the required install files. I can install and play the game without having to run another program like Steam, and it can be backed up as many times as you want, like burning it to a DVD. Even their FAQ section tells you this.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm NOT saying that if it goes all digital I'll be pirating everything. Far from it; if they don't treat me like a criminal right off the bat and show some goddamned common sense when it comes to backing things up, then they deserve my money. But if you're going to treat me like dirt and screw my computer up with DRM, then I'll just steal and get a version with all that crap removed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

WTF!! just like the other zombie bastards, you too don't know how to read and understand a point.

Why are you saying that?....tablets don't/wont need a disk drive since they will be used for common things.. your pc will be used for other things. How many more times am I going to have to point this out.

PC's will still exist but there will be no need to use them as much as we do today, since tablets will cover a wide range of there tasks, as some tablets do today, with ebay, youtube, facebook skype, and other general browsing etc... *sigh*

All these factor change the industry , just like Netbooks have put a huge dent in laptop sales, people relise they dont some things on a laptop and buy a Netbook instead, and see how that affects the laptop industry... things change, and all these newer things make PC's more redundant by the year. But of course they still have some use, but not much of time, thats why I think only 1 will be needed per household.
    Yeah..... No. Why would I waste money on a tablet when my computer can do the same, and much, much more?

Thanks

Well why sit at a computer most of the time(usually most people sit on the Net) when you can use the computer when needed and use the tablet for the Net stuff. Giving you a better ability to communicate when you want too, instead of having to boot a pc or keep it running everytime you need to check up or do some browsing or wanna check email and stuff...

Its the future, and is going to be made simple.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wait, people turn their computers off? Since when?!

Thanks

I predict that game companies are going to get increasingly more anal with DRMs and trying to control the usage of their products. I expect to see some pretty crazy over the top things done in the next 5 years. And I also expect to be laughing when pirates just crack it pre-release or on day 1. Also, piracy will continue to be on the rise, as they start demanding more money for games even when most aren't even worth the bandwidth to pirate, let alone pay $60+ dollars for.

Only thing that might stop or slow down piracy, is if everyone had to download 40+GB to play a blu-ray game, unless you got really good internet, it will take you a month to download that game. File sizes are going to increase to that size far before average internet speeds catch up to deal with it. Where as right now pirating with a good internet connection is almost instant gratification. It won't be like this forever.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 7th-August-2011 at 19:50.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well why sit at a computer most of the time(usually most people sit on the Net) when you can use the computer when needed and use the tablet for the Net stuff. Giving you a better ability to communicate when you want too, instead of having to boot a pc or keep it running everytime you need to check up or do some browsing or wanna check email and stuff...

Its the future, and is going to be made simple.
    I like having a keyboard and mouse, and a monitor of decent size.

Wait, people turn their computers off? Since when?!
    News to me .

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm NOT saying that if it goes all digital I'll be pirating everything. Far from it; if they don't treat me like a criminal right off the bat and show some goddamned common sense when it comes to backing things up, then they deserve my money. But if you're going to treat me like dirt and screw my computer up with DRM, then I'll just steal and get a version with all that crap removed.
    I agree that DRM is bullshit, not to mention terribly ineffective. In the case of the Witcher 2 it was actually affecting performance and loading times, so they removed it in the first official patch. Too bad not every company thinks like that.

Thanks

I like having a keyboard and mouse, and a monitor of decent size.
    Future tablets may also be able to hook up to TVs wirelessly and the tablet will then switch and become a keyboard and mouse interface, Wii U style. It will be in the settings to do this.

.......Also I think downloadable conrtent is too risky IMO. Hackers will tear the security to pieces.

They need to bring out a "locked down" disc format for consoles, where games can only be read on the consoles and not copied. I can't understand why they dont atleast do this now, as it does sound simple when you think about it.

A tamperproof Disk drive, CPS3 style. Even if they get 5yrs out of it, its something.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 19:52.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Future tablets may also be able to hook up to TVs wirelessly and the tablet will then switch and become a keyboard and mouse interface, Wii U style. It will be in the settings to do this.

Downloadable conrtent is too risky IMO. Hackers will tear the security to pieces.

They need to bring out a "locked down" disc format for consoles, where games can only be read on the consoles and not copied. I can't understand why they dont atleast do this now, as it does sound simple when you think about it.

A tamperproof Disk drive, CPS3 style. Even if they get 5yrs out of it, its something.
    GDIs can only be read by Dreamcast .