Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I stop buying games and only pirate on that day.
    then get ready, its happening. every major publisher wants it that way. If they could do it today, they would.
    The only holding, say Sony back. Is the retailers, if they go only digital with their games, they loose the support of retail stores like gamestop, who will then stop selling their hardware.
    So.. its tricky right now. But its going to be all digital in the future, there is no denying it. Just have to drop your familiarity with discs. Movies will be the same way, I doubt there will be a new technology after Blu-ray. Microsoft does not want to use Sony's format for obvious reason, and they are not going to invent a new one just for themselves, they tried. Doesnt work, Microsoft will be on the front of all thing going digital.

Thanks
    EP Points

Retailers aren't really the only thing holding them back. It's not currently viable to go download-only because a good portion of consumers (including a lot of America) doesn't have access to internet fast enough to make digital distribution a) more convenient than brick and mortar stores or b) even viable, in some cases. I know that my father (who lives in a suburb of Dallas, one of the most tech-based cities in the US outside of Silicon Valley) is still limited to a 1.5 Mbps internet plan, simply because the infrastructure doesn't exist there. My sister's boyfriend actually lives in the upscale neighborhoods in Dallas, and he's limited to a 1.5 Mbps plan as well. He lives within a block of Ross Perot. And my internet rapes his in every orifice regularly while its husband watches from the corner.

So by my estimates, it'll be a few more years before we're seeing widespread adoption of digital distribution to the point where we have a successful no-physical-media console. So most likely in the next hardware cycle.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by screwed View Post
    then get ready, its happening. every major publisher wants it that way. If they could do it today, they would.
    The only holding, say Sony back. Is the retailers, if they go only digital with their games, they loose the support of retail stores like gamestop, who will then stop selling their hardware.
    So.. its tricky right now. But its going to be all digital in the future, there is no denying it. Just have to drop your familiarity with discs. Movies will be the same way, I doubt there will be a new technology after Blu-ray. Microsoft does not want to use Sony's format for obvious reason, and they are not going to invent a new one just for themselves, they tried. Doesnt work, Microsoft will be on the front of all thing going digital.
    Sony isn't the inventor of blueray, they just took full advantage of it when it was first created

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    Sony isn't the inventor of blueray, they just took full advantage of it when it was first created
    What? It was one of the companies who developed it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killik View Post
    I think ppl mostly forget that if new consoles come out they are mostly are graphic wise better than the pc at the start and the pc starts to catch up on it again after a while)
    Hold the phone a minute pal, who told you that?.. that has never ever been the case. The Consoles always use "already" available pc gpus etc when being manufactured. The pc was always the better platform with the console constantly trying to catch up. When consoles of the past came out, the PC and its games were a generation above those right from the start, with higher res much crisper better textures, with more graphics on screen at once etc, and online play too. You needed a pc to reach this level, now you dont, and there is even better consoles already in the pipeline, so god help pc gaming.

Look at the PS3, it uses an Nividia 7900 GPU,how old is that compared to the supreme Gpu's the pc is running today?.. and what is soooo different and better?.. nothing really. See what I mean that consoles of a much lower spec rubs shoulders with todays pc gaming even 6 years on. That is what is different from the other times, and it is evident in the fact that consoles now have a much longer lifespan, as back in the day people cried out for better graphics and wanted a new console with the newer pc generation graphics. And consoles had about a 5yr lifespan. Because the pc was washing consoles up, with ever impressing graphics and visuals.

e and even going further and being better as it is now. For example youcould buy a high end pc with sli/crossfire and quadcore processors + SSD drive but what for? atm only 1-2 games are better gfx wise because most of the developers develop multiplatform.
    PCs will always exist like it or not.( only thing that will change is the possible games line up-> already wrote my thoughts about that in this thread)
    Jesus Christ!!!*shakes head*.. did I say pc's would not exist?.. This thread is about what "I/you think" of the gaming future, and "I think" pc gaming will fall from grace and Windows in general. I work around pc's and have seen the industry haste up quite a bit. People dont crave the superior graphics since the PS3/360 offer quite the same experence even 6 yrs on from their release. And that is very strange that the pc isnt really "trumping"the consoles and moving gaming onwards as it did years ago. Do you see my point?, or atleast where I'm coming from? Again as usually, everyone else gives their opinion but when I give mine it gets teared to shreds with seemingly irrelevant points towards what I'm pointing.

The pc will remain as a business tool etc and for other things like home video editing. So obviously there's still good reason for the pc even 10 yrs on.

BUT REMEMBER!! This is a fucking Gaming future thread, sweet jesus.. I'm not writing off the pc, just stating how I think gaming has changed and will change for the worse in pc gaming terms..... The "gamers pc" is sinking and fast, trust me. And just as you mentioned "multiplatform".. yeah mate, some might say that is exactly what I'm getting at, its turning and the pc is becoming more and more irrelevant.

trump out a console? price?
    who cares about that. If youare a gamer and have a job you dont care about prices that much + why should you care if pc can trumph a console or vice versa.
    No harm, but that is really a dumb statement right there. The point is the pc isn't progressing anymore, its all industry. Some people even have the nerve to say "you can upgrade the pc down the line".. well there isnt a better time to say this- Why?.. so it can continue playing games that the 6yr consoles STILL PLAY. Now 5-6 yrs ago that would have been relevant, as DX9 was amazing and consoles simply couldn't produce those mind blowing visuals, but now this generation is different, there isn't anything spectacular about pc graphics anymore, they use to be the dogs balls, now it all GTX580 and Radoen6970 and multi GPU's.. but all for what?.. its just become a complete rip off over the last 5 or so years. And you're forgetting one thing - the impending release of the next gen consoles. Lets just say, I feel sorry for anyone who goes out sometime soon and buys an expensive "gaming pc" to have a new console"mock it" over its lifespan, and watch the pitiful pc endure its life as a constant upgrading pc along side the console. Just as whats happening now lol. And it gonna get worse.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 16:08.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    What? It was one of the companies who developed it.
    from what ive seen and found out it was just one of the first companies to use it, and it may have funded it a bit, not positive and don't have time to look right now

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So yeah, all digital will happen and I'll be right there with my brother pirating all day. No bonus physical content means I'll have to just start buying random merch for games.

Thanks

The lack of creativity and original ideas is starting to become more apparent with each new generation of gaming. They will be continuously releasing more remakes of older games. I am not that impressed with this generation of gaming, and I will probably be even less impressed by the next. It could just be me getting older and losing interest. I honestly haven't played a game this generation that really impressed me. But I have been impressed by older titles that I finally got around to playing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    The lack of creativity and original ideas is starting to become more apparent with each new generation of gaming. They will be continuously releasing more remakes of older games. I am not that impressed with this generation of gaming, and I will probably be even less impressed by the next. It could just be me getting older and losing interest. I honestly haven't played a game this generation that really impressed me. But I have been impressed by older titles that I finally got around to playing.
    It's not just you. This is a pretty fair observation. Especially with the bigger releases, everything is a friggin sequel. I mean why come up with something new when you can get big sales based on name/brand recognition and sales are always the goal.

I'm somewhat guilty myself what with buying Disgaea 4 but I like that they are changing the setting and such. My favourite game right now from this gen is probably Valkyria Chronicles.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    So yeah, all digital will happen and I'll be right there with my brother pirating all day. No bonus physical content means I'll have to just start buying random merch for games.
    Not having a manual and a shiny box is incentive enough for piracy? You and your brother find new ways to make me facepalm every day.

Thanks
    EP Points

When it all goes download only I'll probably go back to the Saturn, Dreamcast, N64 and PS1. So many classic games I never played.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    When it all goes download only I'll probably go back to the Saturn, Dreamcast, N64 and PS1. So many classic games I never played.
    I approve of this.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Not having a manual and a shiny box is incentive enough for piracy? You and your brother find new ways to make me facepalm every day.
    I'm a collector, I've mentioned it before.

Go wank off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    I've already played basically every SNES, Megadrive and PS1 game I ever wanted to play since emulators came out. Several were released in Japan only, but had a translation available. Some of the best RPGs on the SNES weren't even released in the US. I even played a Chrono Trigger rom hack called Crimson Echoes that was really good. If I didn't know any better I would have thought Square-Enix made it.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 7th-August-2011 at 17:19.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Down the shit hole.

Games are to focused on looking nice and shiny, the shiny games sell the most, so the REALLY shiny get another game made, no new ground breaking ideas, just the same game in a different location just made shinier then before, and the dumbshit's will buy it, why because its pretty.

Game developers are scared to "try something new" and this is where the the problem lies.
    And then there is this:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...rez-The-Cartel
    Pretty much this.