Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Halo remake...? But... but... only 10 years...

But this is the world we live in, where remakes and reboots happen within the span of a decade.

Thanks

I see Sega making a new console, only to fail again, even though they could be successful. I wish all bought-in-store PC games would be able to play single player without going online. I wish I could see all casual gamers give up gaming so there can be an equal amount of games in each genre instead of 80% FPS, 15% Action/platforming, 5% RPG. I wish Bungie to make an awesome multiplatform game, and to take Halo back if Microsoft screws it up. I also see a new PlayStation and Xbox, as well as portable versions of previous gen systems, such as GC and PS2. And I see downloadable games failing greatly if they keep charging full price for a game that doesn't come with a box, manual and sometimes other extras. In the next 10-20 years I see an affordable new physical media that greatly outperforms harddrives and discs, as well as cartridges. If games really did become download-only, then dial-up should be outlawed, and even in rural areas, affordable (10-25$ month, no data cap) High speed internet should be available. The game industry would lose so much money due to how many people play video games with no access to internet, and tons of people buy used games, because 60$ is too much sometimes. I have high hopes for the future, but it could go very, very wrong.

Thanks

I think that cnsole gamng will stay as it is bt pc gaming will drastically change
    Game developers dont care that much bout the pc and most likelyto maximize profits + fear of piracy pc gaming will heavily focus on Free2play games with microtransactions.
    This trend already started= dota2, hon, lol, all free mmos, TF2, Firefall etc etc
    Mark my words, in the future if you ll want a nice sp game you ll need to buy a console (pc=dead in that sector)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fugsnarf View Post
    I don't see PC gaming going away for a long long time.
    Well first of all mate, you are forgetting one thing-FUTURE-.. also its not a pc vs tablet thing, but it is pretty easy to see that tablets are the future of internet browsing/emailing and other light pc stuff.

Nothing lives up to the versatility and reliability of a PC right now, especially not tablets. A PC's also twice as useful than tablets for most other tasks like writing essays and browsing the web
    Browsing the web is almost the same on a tablet as is on a pc and will get even better over the years. And like I said, you will still have a pc, it will just not be in demand no more. Most people only have a pc to browse the web and only do slight other things like burning disk or video editing on a regular bases. That's what I mean when I say, only 1 pc will be needed in the future- for those few tasks that only need done from time to time. Homework or video editing etc.... In the future if you want to browse the net it will be done on your TV or a Tablet. No more sitting at a pc or waiting for one person to finish on the pc to check you emails or ebay or whatever, as each household will have about 2 or 3 tablets.. internet TV, consoles with internet, smartphones etc... Who wants to sit at a pc everytime they want to check the forums or an email. That's so 1999.. Tablets/smartphones do away with all that, even as of now.....you'll see, makes a hundred times more sense, and will happen when all these other alternatives are more mainstream. Only one PC will be needed for them few other things from time to time.

Also Tablets will emerge better in the coming years, your are thinking those crappy 75 quid epad ones. I'm talking about 200-300 quid Tablets of the future, think of how those will be and how they will EASILY do ALL the typical things a PC does apart from the FEW other things that require a pc from time to time.

Not to mention how many people get enjoymet out of PC gaming with a mouse and keyboard.
    How do you not know future console games that are better suited to a KB/mouse will be available to be used that way?. Some console games already use KB/mouse now. If it becomes more in demand in the future they will make it happen. And pc gaming will die when Windows dies, and Windows is dying year by year. So no telling how dead it'll be in 5-10yrs. And that on the back of the release of the consoles of tomorrow will seal it's fate! OH Yeah, and piracy as mentioned above, PC's cant help piracy AT ALL!!.. But I really believe the console will find some kind of "proprietary disk" that will only work on the consoles and move on to kill console piracy, meaning more game devs will try harder and not fear so much being ripped off. And I really hope that is how it goes also for the sake of gaming. Fuck the PC IMO.

That's my opinion anyway... if you don't agree then that's your opinion. Doesn't mean I'm wrong or you're right. Only time will tell how things change.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 00:51.

Thanks

Tablets are terrible for anything except casual gaming, and probably never will be any different. Consoles cannot be upgraded without buying an entirely new type of console. PCs can always be upgraded to become more powerful and faster, for more powerful games. PCs will not go away, ever. They will evolve.

Thanks

Tablets are terrible for anything except casual gaming, and probably never will be any different. Consoles cannot be upgraded without buying an entirely new type of console. PCs can always be upgraded to become more powerful and faster, for more powerful games. PCs will not go away, ever. They will evolve.
    OK, before posting again, say the word FUTURE 3 times..... yeah you're right "as of now" some tablets are hit and miss, but they will evolve, and I'm not associating them with gaming at all. Just a future look at how pc's will sink into the background, I think anyhow.

As far as gaming on pc's go, piracy rules the roast mate. The speeds of todays broadband make it so easy to get any game and play it on pc very easily. I know consoles have that problem too, but they are more in favour of defeating it(look at how long the PS3 held out). You also have to remember MS own the xbox so they have a good liablity to fall back onto the console if needed, and screw "games for windows".. because things are really going nowhere in pc piracy. Also consoles for their spec and price can run the games that would require a high speced pc, for example Crysis 2 or even GTA 4, look at the spec of todays consoles versus the pc needed to run the same game. Don't fall for the GPU keepy uppy game.. you're the type of person that helps keep that industry alive. It's a money making ripoff, it's not like the consoles don't offer the same thing for a lot less. All that basically speaking of course. As I am a pc gamer myself, but I have to say as far as the future of gaming goes, I believe consoles will outshine.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 01:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

You don't need a high-end PC to run console games, you know. This is pretty common knowledge among PC gamers, so I'm surprised you weren't aware of it. What you said might've been true several years ago, but nowadays even a modest (by today's standards) PC will be able to run console ports just fine. Hell, my 3-year-old machine eats games like Mass Effect 2 for breakfast.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the future will bring. I'm personally wondering if the whole motion control/3D/etc. fad will eventually go out of fashion. In general, though, I expect things to be more or less the same, except with better graphics.

Thanks

Well define low end pc. A 300 quid pc?

Its a case of a 150 quid console vs a 300 quid pc then, in which case you have to ask yourself why build a 300 quid pc for games when a 150 quid console does it for half price. Yeah I know you're gonna pull the whole "pc's can do more" crap. But also you are talking bottom of the barrel pc gaming at lowest res with 35 fps max. Try running Crysis 2 or Metro 2033 or Just Cause 2 and your 2x the price pc will fall flat on its face, whereas the xbox 360 will play them soundly. DX9 is almost identical on the xbox as the Dx11 games on the pc, and its funny how from Dx9 the updated Dx's are nothing more than way to help the pc cope better when playing games and only adds very little graphical differnces to Dx9. So again the future will build on this already stupid aspect of pc gaming and that is why it is somewhat pointless when you think about to build a pc for gaming unless going highend to get some quaility from the games to define a difference.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 02:27.

Thanks

I don't get why some of you think Windows will die in the next 5 years. Microsoft is not doing that poorly, and the vast majority of computer users and companies still use Windows and have long-term contracts with Windows software.

Also, if tablets ever kill PCs, it's not going to be in the next five years. I don't see tablets in general beating out PCs for companies and even a lot of home users. Touch control just isn't as effective as a mouse and keyboard (keyboards on touch-controlled devices like tablets SUCK). Some day we may get tablets that project some kind of holographic keyboard and touch controls, but we aren't even close to that yet.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I stop buying games and only pirate on that day.
    I 100% agree, however it may be inevitable...

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    stuff
    When I said modest, I didn't mean lowest of low-end, obviously. My specs are Athlon II X3 435 @ 2.9GHz, an old 8800GT from the stone age with only 2 gigs of RAM, if you're curious. Yeah, I played Metro 2033, Just Cause 2 and Crysis 2 as well. All on medium/high settings, at 1920x1080. I remember switching to 1600x900 for Crysis 2, but that's still hardly bottom of the barrel. Framerate was in the 40-something range as I recall. Doesn't Crysis 2 run at 30 FPS on consoles? Can't be arsed to research it.

The only game so far that I genuinely couldn't run on near-maxed-out settings was The Witcher 2, but that game is known for being rather demanding.

In any case, I'm done discussing this. Apologies for the off-topicness.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Halo remake...? But... but... only 10 years...

But this is the world we live in, where remakes and reboots happen within the span of a decade.
    The reason this happens though is because there has been a fairly large technological leap in the past ten years.. That, and the fans of these games practically demand to see these kinds of remakes. Whatever makes the money, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Thanks

With the way FPS is trending these days, and online play to boot, I think RPG's will dwindle and perhaps even have such limited release as to not even have a place in E3, I mean... What has SquareEnix done lately that has anyone excited? Producing the same games over? FF XIII-2? FF XIII vs? Their website is becoming an FPS zone as well.
    Xenoblade Chronicles looks to be one of the only promising RPG's to be released this year in Europe/Australia and that's on a console that most people do not even consider buying, the Wii.

Casual gamers, like mainstream music listeners are ruling the market and making the gaming and music world a shittier place for everyone...

Also, has anyone heard the score for FFXIV? sounds exactly like the previous game, like they just recycled the lot of it and gave up...
    "Bright and cold, the flash of steel,
    Alone I roam over desolate fields,
    My sword, I no longer need,
    The evening wind will carry me home."

Thanks

@ Gare

Yeah looks like thats possibly a 400 maybe 500 quid pc since you say its 3 yr old.

My point is mate, consoles of a much lower spec than pc's run the same game better. This is evident from years back. And since this thread asks what people think is the future, I believe the next gen consoles with higher more modern specs will flip pc gaming and see it fall from grace. I have been building pc's for nearly 20yrs and it is coming to a halt, because it doesnt offer anything different. And cant even trump a console thats been out almost 6 years, even with all these new gpu's and 2x more advanced DX11 graphics api. Its a ripoff industry, what do you think drives this industry?... Mainly games. And its turn of the tides mate from here on in... Mark my words.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-August-2011 at 04:10.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    @ Gare

Yeah looks like thats possibly a 400 maybe 500 quid pc since you say its 3 yr old.

My point is mate, consoles of a much lower spec than pc's run the same game better. This is evident from years back. And since this thread asks what people think is the future, I believe the next gen consoles with higher more modern specs will flip pc gaming and see it fall from grace. I have been building pc's for nearly 20yrs and it is coming to a halt, because it doesnt offer anything different. And cant even trump a console thats been out almost 6 years, even with all these new gpu's and 2x more advanced DX11 graphics api. Its a ripoff industry, what do you think drives this industry?... Mainly games. And its turn of the tides mate from here on in... Mark my words.

I think ppl mostly forget that if new consoles come out they are mostly are graphic wise better than the pc at the start and the pc starts to catch up on it again after a while and even going further and being better as it is now. For example youcould buy a high end pc with sli/crossfire and quadcore processors + SSD drive but what for? atm only 1-2 games are better gfx wise because most of the developers develop multiplatform.

trump out a console? price?
    who cares about that. If youare a gamer and have a job you dont care about prices that much + why should you care if pc can trumph a console or vice versa.

PCs will always exist like it or not.( only thing that will change is the possible games line up-> already wrote my thoughts about that in this thread)
    Last edited by killik; 7th-August-2011 at 13:09.