Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by localmachine View Post
    Hopefully gaming doesn't end up in this thread in 5 years
    It's already there really.

Thanks

Knock this shit off. Now. Breathe, calm down, whatever.

Thanks

Personally I see video games still being popular in five years, will it be as popular as it is now? I don't know but frankly that doesn't really matter to me, since video games will still be around and I'll for the most part still be interested in them in someway or another and to me that is all that matters.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright, seriously. If you see trolling going on, don't encourage it by leaving troll bait around. Especially if a member of staff has just responded to the situation by posting a warning. It causes just as much clutter and nonsense as the troll itself does.

Let's not have any more off-topic posts. And this applies not only to Rat.
    Last edited by Milady; 20th-August-2011 at 06:28.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milady For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Nintendo is playing it smart by going with the Wii this generation, which is basically a fancy Gamecube(which is why Dolphin emulates Wii and Gamecube). Why? Because there will only be one more generation of consoles which use silicon chips, leaving Nintendo with an entire generation which Sony and Microsoft have nothing new to compete with. So, Nintendo wins the silicon based console competition in the end by purposely being a generation back at this time.

Silicon-based computing will reach it's maximum capability by 2020. What that means is that there is possibly going to be one more generation of consoles after this one and we're reaching the maximum performance games can have. The gaming and computing industry is in for a big bust in a few years, prices on computers and consoles will drop dramatically however because there won't be any improvement in computational power until we develop functional quantum computers.

The future will include cloud based gaming platforms such as Gaikai, and PC gaming will become more prevalent. Especially with the advent of quantum computers and the first working models being built now which can make games as realistic as real life. While console gaming should be entering another bust as was experienced in the 80s until there are quantum computers inexpensive enough to market as consoles/toys.
    Last edited by Yip Yip; 20th-August-2011 at 07:05.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I don't see how it's different from paying for a physical copy which is pretty much a disc with a data on it. You can burn your digital copy to a disc and then it's basically the same thing. The only reasons to prefer a physical copy is if you want the box on your shelf and a manual to hold in your hands (or any other collector's item that comes with it), or if your connection's too slow to make digital purchases a viable option. Which are perfectly valid reasons, mind you. Also, Steam's pretty damn successful, so people don't mind paying for a bunch of ones and zeroes, apparently.

I know. Hence why I said this.
    Ones and zeroes in a download or ones and zeroes on a plastic disc. I wasn't trying to differentiate between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    OH no, not another mis interpreter.

Spot on mate!!, just like I said, the pc wont go anywhere, and will always have a use... BUT tablets will make the most common things pc's are used for alot easier in future- like all internet stuff.. browsing/emailing/social networking/youtube..possibly downloading/torrenting etc.. Not to mention listening to Music, watching movies, looking at pics, light gaming etc, etc... OH yeah and being able to take it almost anywhere, so things like GPS, 3G, etc come into play too.

"Where is the versatility in tablets".. if thats not versatility, then I dont know what your definition of versatility is......I suppose you are content sitting at a pc doing all this stuff for the next 10 or years then.

I said Tablets, smart phones, internet TVs will make the pc less usefull.. like I mention above... and stop all you guys saying "what about KB/mouse".. there is a KB's for some tablets and mice may come too. PC 's will be more for video editing or more servere program use only, in future. *I think*.. and superior consoles will strip it of its crown in for best gaming eperience.

All these will have a detrimental effect on the pc and it will become more of a background item, only used vaguely.

Nope. Computers will still outshine tablets. Laptops as they are are more portable than desktops and desktops are still better. Another factor is reliability. Smaller and more portable is not always better. Also computer screens are easier to see than tablets and videos are in better quality. You can also hook computers to tv screens just as tablets may. Also a small keyboard wouldn't beat a fully fledged computer keyboard. Touch controls suck compared to a mouse and even if a mouse was invented for it, it would kind of ruin the point. Frankly all I see tablets going is for when someone doesn't have computer access.

Games on tablets also suck without buttons and are mostly relegated to fart apps and minigames. That may be well and all for car trips, but I think I would rather play games on something with a bigger screen and buttons of some sort.

So I am assuming your tablet will have a 1 TB drive for all of that downloading torrents and the tablet will be compatible with other forms of media such as external hard drives, dvd burners, sd cards. And I just bet you it will play music better than computers and do all of that while surfing the web and editing a photo. And assuming it can do all of that can it run them without hiccuping or will it crash upon loading. What if I want to use firefox and instead have to use a crappy minimal webbrowser. I like to make sure my browser isn't hijacked so if I can't use firefox, it's like being asked for spam and viruses (which would definitely be something to look for if tablets will be as popular as you say. Also as you have to have your apps approved by tablet companies to be released on their app store, then there is a huge blow to versatility unless you jailbreak it.

ffs!.. I mean proper hacking, to play backups "piracy".. I know hacking a system is something to do, but doing it with the intent to let people run backups of originals is what I'm taling about. The mod chips just bypass security and let it boot the disc, but it wont boot any disc, only what it is made to boot.

That is what a hacker looks at first. A means to boot a backup.. should it be burning it to a supported format or memory card booting it.-"incentives"

If you can eradicate incentives for a way to run burnt games, and leave only possible ways to run homebrew stuff... then piracy doesnt really come into play, does it?.. look at the snes for example, believe it or not it was hackable, but expensive to do so. All you need was a Dremel tool to cut the cartridge open, then desoslder the rom chip, read it on a pc making a copy, then get an eeprom chip, program it with whatever rom images youve dumped, put it into the cartridge and run a game.... so is that worth doing?..NO!!!.. see, incentives are relevant.. it was just too much of a big deal back then to do that. But now flash carts with SD memory and redesigned PCBs make those systems now hackable for that reason. That was the "incentive" behind the guy who decided to make the flashcart.

And as years go by it will be even cheaper to hack. A lot of piracy erupts from the homebrew community. You have to install homebrew channel before you even think about playing backups on a wii. HBC's creator happens to be against homebrew. Geohot released the private keys that enabled 3.55 CFW and homebrew. You have to be on a cfw to play backups. Geohot was against piracy. I'm not too privy on the xbox scene, but JTAG is one of the ways to run backups and it probably started as a way to run homebrew as well. Flashcarts were started to run homebrew and eventually were able to run backups. I'm sure that officially the flashcart makers are also against piracy. Also cartridges aren't feasible for consoles anymore because they were much more expensive to produce for game companies anyway. Games in general were also still expensive even though the technology was older.

Well ,I believe, hackers can be beaten physically. We all know software has loopholes, but making something estremely hard to get at to see how it works can be a big help. Look at the CPS3 system, it was tamperproof for years, and that was 15 yrs ago. They couldn't get their teeth into itto see how it all communcated with itself to then emulate. As it just killed itself, rendering it useless and non readable... but some guy with an incentive - good skill and all the right equipment finally sussed it. But remember it did its job.

So if a console is locked to a proprietary disk format and has no means of memory inputs and has some sort of security screws that cut trips security sensors when removed, so console cant be opened.... just where does the incentive to decide to hack it come from?.. are you gonna get a dremel and cut it open to try to interface the disk drive..what if it fails(tamperproof)..buy another, start again??.. ok lets say you finally get a game dump, then what?..How are you gonna run it?.. replace the disk drive?? ..what if the system is made to reject it... what if the image is too big to run on any other disk format.... and this is before you even talk about the disk-hole counter measures that I mentioned.

Would that not put some hackers off?... it did for the CPS3 and cartridge based systems back in the day.

Dreamcast games were dumped from the dreamcast itself using a network adapter and they were on a proprietary disc Most companies wouldn't use tamper proof protection. Sure by breaking into my system I may be breaking ToS, but I see no legal problem of opening my system therefore if by opening it it ruined it I may have grounds for a lawsuit. Because the console was my property and tamper proof protection is an aggression against my property.

Yeah, you're right it is just another way to get the game back into the top ten for that christmas etc.... they bring out the new game with updated season rosters. But remember, some people actually like it this way believe it or not.

Also, if say someone bought FIFA 03, but 8 years later someone who wants to get into FIFA walks into a game shop and asks"where is FIFA 03?".. that would be stupid. It would be off the shelves years ago for all the right reasons. The yearly updates aren't all that bad when you think about. You dont have to buy it yearly if you dont want too. But Alot of people who may not have played it before or not in years, WILL buy it.

And that is what Pro evo soccer did for a long while on the ps2, they only brought out a new one every few years, up until about 2008, that is when they seen that it can be done yearly, and works to bring in money.

If you can see through this, then just dont buy into it.

or they could make sure there were stock each year and when stock was required press the new rosters with the disc. It would be no different than making pressed discs for new games and they wouldn't have to waste money making the same game again. And the game years could be changed to versions so the newest version was always sold.

That is just fucking crazy right there. We aren't talking a priceless statue that gets its photo taken then copied/made out of clay by some sculpturer and then sold for much less. We are talking the product of a company here- You seem to have a real weird outlook of software., even with your "ones and zeros" comment.

The point is, games are like movies. A bunch of people work hard to make the game what it is, and obviously were paid whilst doing so, which is all funded for, sometimes up to 100 million, for games like GTA4. So does this not have significance?

They obviously want to atleast make the funded cash back, and then as much profit on top of that possible, as to make the whole purpose worth while and to make a business out of it, which then brings about more games, spin off companies,failing companies/studios being bought out/over etc, etc...
    A product is sold based on it's quality and what it is. You are thinking about services that are based on work. Games are ones and zeros pressed onto discs with dyes and such. Therefore you are buying a plastic disc with dyes. Other discs with dyes cost much less. Money isn't lost when ones and zeros are copied from a disc with dyes to a piece of hardware with moving platters. the cost of producing a copy is none, zilch nada for the game companies. With cartridges you were buying computer chips in a plastic encasement. If copies cost money then how come it isn't on their cost report. They should be like "yep as soon as this game was copied $60 was removed from our bank account." It would be easy to tell how many copies were made as there would be a charge or a budget drop for every copy made, even legit ones. And the sculptor thing is actually how it would be. The sculptor used his clay and tried to get someone to buy it. Someone else made the same thing, but tried to sell it as well. At the end of the day they were both selling clay. When broken, that is all that is left just as when a disc is broken a broken disc is all that is left.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    yes but Shenmue 2 was released on regular Xbox so it proves that its still possible for the 3rd, then again viewtiful joe has been a cliffhanger since forever....
    It's cheaper and easier to repackage existing software than to make fresh software.

Also, S2 wasn't exactly a huge success on the XBox either. So there's that. It's a little hard to justify sequels when you aren't expecting a big return. Especially when your company had to restructure pretty heavily several times just to keep turning a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yip Yip View Post
    Nintendo is playing it smart by going with the Wii this generation, which is basically a fancy Gamecube(which is why Dolphin emulates Wii and Gamecube). Why? Because there will only be one more generation of consoles which use silicon chips, leaving Nintendo with an entire generation which Sony and Microsoft have nothing new to compete with. So, Nintendo wins the silicon based console competition in the end by purposely being a generation back at this time.

The future will include cloud based gaming platforms such as Gaikai, and PC gaming will become more prevalent. Especially with the advent of quantum computers and the first working models being built now which can make games as realistic as real life. While console gaming should be entering another bust as was experienced in the 80s until there are quantum computers inexpensive enough to market as consoles/toys.
    I would like to take this moment to point out that Kaku is a quack and is effectively talking out his ass.

Silicon isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The structure used in chips is what'll change for quite a while, since that's the easiest way to go about it. This guy (quite poorly, might I add), assumes that computer chips have to be structured the way they are nowadays. They don't. He also assumes we can't just elongate the processors. Which we can.

Graphene has been showing a lot of promise as well. It works more or less like Silicon. It's like the jump from vacuum tubes to silicon. Same concept, just smaller. And that won't take root until at least 2025, possibly until 2030 (if not later) and that's if it really starts to work out commercially.We've already proven recently that we can make integrated circuits out of the stuff. The idea is more or less the same with nanotubes. But those don't seem especially likely outside of supercomputers.

The idea that we're going to be working with theoretical particle based computers in less than a decade is lol worthy.
    Last edited by Raype; 20th-August-2011 at 10:02.

Thanks

Well first, HOPEFULLY there are some new consoles. The hardware on the 360 and the PS3 have been outdated for a very long time, and have pretty much stagnated any kind of substantial growth in graphics and such due to hardware limitations.

Second, HOPEFULLY all FPS games on a console will be playable with a mouse and keyboard. FPS should have NEVER been put on a console to be used with a controller.

Third, hopefully Activision declares bankruptcy after copying and pasting Call of Duty for the 12th time

Fourth, hopefully Bioware and all their employees die in a fire.

Fifth: hopefully games no longer come with half their content cut out to be sold as DLC on day 1.

Sixth: hopefully PC gaming gets revitalized.

Seventh: hopefully Ubisoft-tier DRM backfires into nobody being able to play their games so nobody buys them and they go bankrupt

Eighth: hopefully people get sick and tired of brown and bloom TACKTIC00L MAHDIRN CAMBAT

Of course none of that will happen. Gaming in 5 years will just have all the problems there is with gaming today worse.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    I would like to take this moment to point out that Kaku is a quack and is effectively talking out his ass.
    Kaku is my lord and savior.

Last edited by Yip Yip; 22nd-August-2011 at 01:09. Reason: Made Kaku Jesus image

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Yip Yip View Post
    Kaku is my lord and savior.

I heard you only pronounce the u if it's doubled. Shouldn't it be pronounced Michio Cock?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    I heard you only pronounce the u if it's doubled. Shouldn't it be pronounced Michio Cock?
    Remember children, sentient cocks have visited earth. He's one of them.

But be aware, most are invisible.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Demondrago21 View Post
    Third, hopefully Activision declares bankruptcy after copying and pasting Call of Duty for the 12th time

Fourth, hopefully Bioware and all their employees die in a fire.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Demondrago21 View Post
    Fifth: hopefully games no longer come with half their content cut out to be sold as DLC on day 1.
    Yeah this shit was inevitable with the creation of DLC. Total bullshit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Indeed.

Yeah this shit was inevitable with the creation of DLC. Total bullshit.
    I quite enjoy dlc as long as its a large dlc like an extra campaign like the shivering isles or knights of the nine what I dont like is dlc that is small enough to already be on the disc in the first place.

and yip yip cloud gaming will never be the future its too unreliable

and to the ubisoft drm thing the reason the drm is not needed is because what happens when they remove support for a game in a year or two ? in my opinion drm should never require you to need to be constantly online at any given moment.

Thanks

Borderland's DLCs were pretty good. Mortal Kombat 9 also introduced two DLCs character + Freddy Kruger. Some people have complained about Fallout 3/New Vegas having DLCs but in a way that's understandable because the games are big enough without the DLCs.

What I'd like to see in five years though - Common Sense from the Developers in certain areas -
    Remember the first rule Consoles - they are practically 'obsolete' the day they hit the market. They will also realize PCs will always be superior to consoles.
    Japanese developers should develop across all regions at the same time. Nintendo did it with Zelda: Majora's Mask.(Japan and US). Plenty of developers do it now.
    Piracy is going to happen no matter what. Threatening to drop PC and going straight to Console will not change anything because of Emulation.(Effing DUH!)
    All companies will develop Blizzard's way of making a game - "The game will be done when it gets done. Bitching and moaning about it won't speed things up."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Graeystone View Post
    Piracy is going to happen no matter what. Threatening to drop PC and going straight to Console will not change anything because of Emulation.(Effing DUH!)
    Terrible argument. Emulation usually lags about a generation behind.

For the record, the console versions have been consistently outselling the PC versions.

By a lot.

Hell Crysis 2 was doing exceptionally well for a PC game.

It didn't even outsell the 360 versions alone. Which were, get this, 3 times as high.

So yeah.