Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    The lack of creativity and original ideas is starting to become more apparent with each new generation of gaming. They will be continuously releasing more remakes of older games. I am not that impressed with this generation of gaming, and I will probably be even less impressed by the next. It could just be me getting older and losing interest. I honestly haven't played a game this generation that really impressed me. But I have been impressed by older titles that I finally got around to playing.
    Check out some of the indie game scene they thankfully have some originality still

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heer View Post
    When everyone realizes they paid $60 for a bunch of ones and zeroes, piracy will skyrocket
    I don't see how it's different from paying for a physical copy which is pretty much a disc with a data on it. You can burn your digital copy to a disc and then it's basically the same thing. The only reasons to prefer a physical copy is if you want the box on your shelf and a manual to hold in your hands (or any other collector's item that comes with it), or if your connection's too slow to make digital purchases a viable option. Which are perfectly valid reasons, mind you. Also, Steam's pretty damn successful, so people don't mind paying for a bunch of ones and zeroes, apparently.

A large portion of people don't have good connections and shouldn't be left in the wind with no games. If games are download only, many sales will be lost. Game companies only shoot themselves in the foot taking on used game sales this way.
    I know. Hence why I said this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    If games ever become download-only in the future, hopefully most people will have a connection similar to that.

Thanks

Pc will never die. Even if the pc gaming dies, computers are still much better than tablets. With a pc one can do just about ANYTHING. Where is the versatility in tablets. A keyboard and mouse is much better than a touchscreen. Hardware is much better in a computer than a tablet therefore software applications can be more powerful and complex. A computer has no need for a fart application to feel like it is useful.
    OH no, not another mis interpreter.

Spot on mate!!, just like I said, the pc wont go anywhere, and will always have a use... BUT tablets will make the most common things pc's are used for alot easier in future- like all internet stuff.. browsing/emailing/social networking/youtube..possibly downloading/torrenting etc.. Not to mention listening to Music, watching movies, looking at pics, light gaming etc, etc... OH yeah and being able to take it almost anywhere, so things like GPS, 3G, etc come into play too.

"Where is the versatility in tablets".. if thats not versatility, then I dont know what your definition of versatility is......I suppose you are content sitting at a pc doing all this stuff for the next 10 or years then.

I said Tablets, smart phones, internet TVs will make the pc less usefull.. like I mention above... and stop all you guys saying "what about KB/mouse".. there is a KB's for some tablets and mice may come too. PC 's will be more for video editing or more servere program use only, in future. *I think*.. and superior consoles will strip it of its crown in for best gaming eperience.

All these will have a detrimental effect on the pc and it will become more of a background item, only used vaguely.

Nothing is hack proof. All three have modchips to either allow burned games or games from other media and gc and 360 three also have ways of software hacks to run homebrew.
    ffs!.. I mean proper hacking, to play backups "piracy".. I know hacking a system is something to do, but doing it with the intent to let people run backups of originals is what I'm taling about. The mod chips just bypass security and let it boot the disc, but it wont boot any disc, only what it is made to boot.

That is what a hacker looks at first. A means to boot a backup.. should it be burning it to a supported format or memory card booting it.-"incentives"

If you can eradicate incentives for a way to run burnt games, and leave only possible ways to run homebrew stuff... then piracy doesnt really come into play, does it?.. look at the snes for example, believe it or not it was hackable, but expensive to do so. All you need was a Dremel tool to cut the cartridge open, then desoslder the rom chip, read it on a pc making a copy, then get an eeprom chip, program it with whatever rom images youve dumped, put it into the cartridge and run a game.... so is that worth doing?..NO!!!.. see, incentives are relevant.. it was just too much of a big deal back then to do that. But now flash carts with SD memory and redesigned PCBs make those systems now hackable for that reason. That was the "incentive" behind the guy who decided to make the flashcart.

If one thing I know is is that making the system hard to hack is an incentive in itself to some. Hackers will hack whatever you make, all you can hope to do is stall them. Whatever you do though, don't accuse everybody of being pirates. Iron fist policies don't work. DRM increases piracy. Release complete and worthwhile games and people will buy them. Release incomplete betas with more time spent on DRM and DLC and it will get cracked and pirated. Ignore the pirates and focus on catering to the buying consumers. If you do that no effort will be spent on stopping the unstoppable and piracy will be kept at a minimum. DRM and proprietary elements never stop or even curb piracy and only increase it.
    Well ,I believe, hackers can be beaten physically. We all know software has loopholes, but making something estremely hard to get at to see how it works can be a big help. Look at the CPS3 system, it was tamperproof for years, and that was 15 yrs ago. They couldn't get their teeth into itto see how it all communcated with itself to then emulate. As it just killed itself, rendering it useless and non readable... but some guy with an incentive - good skill and all the right equipment finally sussed it. But remember it did its job.

So if a console is locked to a proprietary disk format and has no means of memory inputs and has some sort of security screws that cut trips security sensors when removed, so console cant be opened.... just where does the incentive to decide to hack it come from?.. are you gonna get a dremel and cut it open to try to interface the disk drive..what if it fails(tamperproof)..buy another, start again??.. ok lets say you finally get a game dump, then what?..How are you gonna run it?.. replace the disk drive?? ..what if the system is made to reject it... what if the image is too big to run on any other disk format.... and this is before you even talk about the disk-hole counter measures that I mentioned.

Would that not put some hackers off?... it did for the CPS3 and cartridge based systems back in the day.

All the newer sports games do is update the rosters really. Once one buys one they've bought them all from that generation. All they really need to do is keep one game per sport and release a new game every three or four years and update the rosters every few months or every year. The updated rosters could be dl'd and installed from the game's menu through xbl/wiishp/psn, or the file could be installed as a separate save like one save is for progress and another is for settings and roster. Of course I don't play much sports games. In fact I think the only sports games I play are NBA Jam and Extra Innings, both SNES games and both less to do with their sports and more to do with having fun (NBA jam allows your character to catch on fire even).
    Yeah, you're right it is just another way to get the game back into the top ten for that christmas etc.... they bring out the new game with updated season rosters. But remember, some people actually like it this way believe it or not.

Also, if say someone bought FIFA 03, but 8 years later someone who wants to get into FIFA walks into a game shop and asks"where is FIFA 03?".. that would be stupid. It would be off the shelves years ago for all the right reasons. The yearly updates aren't all that bad when you think about. You dont have to buy it yearly if you dont want too. But Alot of people who may not have played it before or not in years, WILL buy it.

And that is what Pro evo soccer did for a long while on the ps2, they only brought out a new one every few years, up until about 2008, that is when they seen that it can be done yearly, and works to bring in money.

If you can see through this, then just dont buy into it.

That's because piracy doesn't really cost anything, it isn't theft since the original product is still in the owner's hands and if piracy really costs anything
    That is just fucking crazy right there. We aren't talking a priceless statue that gets its photo taken then copied/made out of clay by some sculpturer and then sold for much less. We are talking the product of a company here- You seem to have a real weird outlook of software., even with your "ones and zeros" comment.

The point is, games are like movies. A bunch of people work hard to make the game what it is, and obviously were paid whilst doing so, which is all funded for, sometimes up to 100 million, for games like GTA4. So does this not have significance?

They obviously want to atleast make the funded cash back, and then as much profit on top of that possible, as to make the whole purpose worth while and to make a business out of it, which then brings about more games, spin off companies,failing companies/studios being bought out/over etc, etc...
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 18th-August-2011 at 23:27.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Check out some of the indie game scene they thankfully have some originality still
    I played the ROM hack for Chrono Trigger, its called Crimson Echoes, it was really good.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    Look at the CPS3 system, it was tamperproof for years, and that was 15 yrs ago.

The point is, games are like movies. A bunch of people work hard to make the game what it is, and obviously were paid whilst doing so, which is all funded for, sometimes up to 100 million, for games like GTA4. So does this not have significance?
    It's an arcade system, you can't just pick one up from a store.

They would need to sell over 1.6 million copies of the game to break even. Until I see proof, I'll never believe such nonsense.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

WHy did you merge 2 different parts of my post into one confusing quote??

And what the hell are you on about "nonsense"?.... What is nonsense about what I said?.... Just what are YOU talking about saying "1.6 million copies need sold to break even"?.. Errrr, what???

Anyway, yeah CPS3 WAS tamperproof, it is still a prime example that "they" couldnt get around the tamperproof hardware of it to make hacked roms like they did with CPS1 and all the SF2 hacks.....so.....

And by the way it was for the emulation world, and the system could be bought/ordered when in it's prime back in the day when no one could emulate it, and when out a few years could easily be got on ebay etc.... And even then took a loooooong time for someone to get a dump and emulation of its workings.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 19th-August-2011 at 04:30.

Thanks
    EP Points

And what the hell are you on about "nonsense"?.... What is nonsense about what I said?.... Just what are YOU talking about saying "1.6 million copies need sold to break even"?.. Errrr, what???
    Basic math. You said it could cost up to 100 million for a single game's production. 100,000,000 ÷ 60 ≈ 1,600,000
    Last edited by Colamisu; 19th-August-2011 at 03:27.

Thanks

Oh cocky now, are we??

Well doofus, I was pointing why he said " he wants proof before he believes such nonsense"

I didnt get why he said that after saying 1.6 mil need sold to break even..... Everything in his post is rather kryptic and not very to the point of what he means

Oh and by the way, i refered to how gta4 cost upto 100m to produce. Not all games obviously cost this. Still they need to sell them to make ammends. Nonsense??.... The more a game costs to make, the more you have to hope it sells.. Nonsense??

Oh yeah, and what is this "proof" he seeks before he believes something... Or something?
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 19th-August-2011 at 03:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oi, chill bro. I was simply pointing out where he got 1.6 million copies, since you asked what he was talking about with that line specifically. Interestingly enough, GTA4 sold 20 million copies. 3.7 on launch day.

Also, kryptic should be cryptic, unless you're trying to draw some kind of parallel between Shard and Superman.

Thanks

I was moreless asking WHY he said it. On the back of saying i was talking nonsense.... But what nonsense?.... And what proof does he need to believe this nonsense?.... See that is what i was asking with my post and is STILL unclear what his overall post means.

K is C..... Mortal Kombat style. KRYPTIC!!

Thanks

Some games don't cost anywhere near 100m to make. Might cost that much for a Final Fantasy, or a Metal Gear Solid, or a new Halo game. It would be unrealistic and way too risky to put that kind of money on the line just based on a gamble, or that you think it might sell. Its one of the reasons I'm not involved on sales, I am a person who doesn't like taking risks, especially with a lot of money.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I was moreless asking WHY he said it. On the back of saying i was talking nonsense.... But what nonsense?.... And what proof does he need to believe this nonsense?.... See that is what i was asking with my post and is STILL unclear what his overall post means.

K is C..... Mortal Kombat style. KRYPTIC!!
    Try not to shit your pants broseph.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    Also, kryptic should be cryptic, unless you're trying to draw some kind of parallel between Shard and Superman.

I thought my post was easy to understand. My point being, no company is going to spend nine figures on development unless they were certain it would be profitable.

To elaborate further, I wanted you to post a source for those supposed costs.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 19th-August-2011 at 15:56.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

GTA IV broke first week sales records I think. I mean shit it's GTA, all the tools need that on release day.

Thanks
    EP Points

i never understood the attraction to gta... hell i can get a sealed collectors edition of it right now for $20 if i wanted it

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean