Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks

The reason they will keep the same old FPS and RPG or any popular genre of game coming year by year is because they sell.

If you think about it like this, every year there is another "wave" of newcomers who will buy the newest COD or Final fantasy, simply because they will not have played the plder ones but want to get into the series after hearing of their popularity. You guys are thinking from a personal perspective of how things are being released and moved on(or not moved on from your point of view).. a kid seeing MW3 on an advert coming up to christmas may want it for christmas, even though they havn't played any COD games before, and so will another 250,000 other kids... or maybe another million kids for that matter.

An easier way of explaining this is the sport games, FIFA, Tiger Woods etc... they are more less the same crap every year with minor updates. So if you are into buying the new game yearly. then it sucks. But remember someone may not have bought a FIFA or TW game before and want to get into them, so the updated version at that time does stand significant, and sells regardless(maybe drawing in half a million new comers, who knows). Remember we aren't the only bunch of gamers in the world that developers make them for, they know that new waves of people come, and they lean towards these buyers also to help future sales. And if that's what it takes to keep them companies afloat, is that a bad thing?

Even another way of making this point stronger is to mention people who want updated re-releases of popular old skool games NOW.... because that is a very greedy way to think, as you are only wanting it for yourselves. Why not let other further generations enjoy the original games first too, then maybe an even prolonged future re-release will come 20 or 30 years down the line and with 10 better graphics and gameplay depending on the modern game mechanics and styles they have then... so why should a developer "waste" that re-release on YOU/US when they can save it for a much larger audience with a much better more improved later future release.

Whats not to say once a re-release comes out(lets say FF7) is being released on PS3 at Christmas this year, so people will play and enjoy it and it was a great success of a re-release. But then what happens in maybe 20yrs time is they want another re-release of the original but with the "even more modernised" RPG elements of the time.. re-releases should only be allowed after 20yrs prior to the original.. it is only these self centered people who moan and complain they want a modernised re-release.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 16th-August-2011 at 18:43.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fugsnarf View Post
    What you said is all-encompassing for any genre today. Every new console game seems like more-or-less a polished turd. There's some gems in them, as with any generation and console, but it's mostly the same principle you just mentioned of doing the same stuff over and over, minus the character building, minus the story, plus the tedium. You cannot stick that label on only JRPGs. Everything's shallow these days. Handhelds seem to be the only systems where there's been actual innovation, being that they can't just have shiny graphics due to the lower capabilities of the systems.
    I think some genre of gaming has improved gradually. FPS, racing, sports. The American companies are getting better with some of their stuff, while Japan is starting to lose more and more in the American market. FPS, racing and sports are improving along with the technology of making the games more realistic, the mechanics of the games are starting to have more in common with real physics as well as looking more real.

Thanks

Great, that just makes it an even more realistic turd. You're still missing the character building, the story, and you're definitely not missing any tedium.

What you're telling me sounds great for something like an arcade game, and maybe that is the age we're going into. However, arcade games in the past were replaced by an age of story-driven games. The cycle goes on.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    I think some genre of gaming has improved gradually. FPS, racing, sports. The American companies are getting better with some of their stuff, while Japan is starting to lose more and more in the American market. FPS, racing and sports are improving along with the technology of making the games more realistic, the mechanics of the games are starting to have more in common with real physics as well as looking more real.
    just what we all fucking need, more realism in something not real. honestly i hate that, i want my games unrealistic and fun! thats why i love jrpg's so much. and halo (as bad as it is its unrealistic)

Thanks

Honestly? Nintendo dead.They have poor managing skills, sub-par gaming contracts with sub-par game devlopers, near-religious cling to old gimmicks, and the giants Sony and Microsoft bearing down on them. I would'nt be suprised at all if in 5 years if Nintendo is either dead or frantically cutting costs and throwing the terriable game companies to the curb.

Thanks

I find that pretty unrealistic. Nintendo isn't going to die any time soon. I don't see any big game-making companies dying any time soon. I do hope Crapcom dies, though. That probably won't happen either, unfortunately.

Thanks

Gaming will get more and more expensive and restrictive. Nintendo wont be as popular either. There consoles seem to be getting more and more expensive and the only reason the wii did so well is because it was incredibly cheap as was the ds. I cant see the wiiu doing as well as the wii and the 3ds hasnt done very well so far either.

Thanks

I see micro transactions, DLC, and general milking of your money happening on a massive level. You'll buy the game at the store, agree to the terms of service (that contain ridiculous DRM that only allows you to play the game on one console.) get halfway through the game and then a thing will pop up saying: "to play through the game and view the ending, download the long awaited "SUCK MY DICK" DLC! Your vanilla character will look like crap and then they will release DLC that makes it look above average at best. You want a healing potion? That's 80 cents. Oh but wait, act now and you can pay $200 and get lifetime access to all premium items and costumes.

I might be over exaggerating a bit, but I imagine it will be something like that. Because people keep paying the nickle and dime whores, they'll keep taking content out of the original release so they keep getting your money. Not only will they keep doing it, they'll go further with it. Maybe one day you'll buy the game and have no music until you buy the OST.

Some quotes from blogs:

"But what is reasonable? Giving the player the choice to charge for their own so-called DLC? That's what Blizzard are experimenting with in the form of the Auction House in their upcoming game, Diablo III. In this eBay-style system, players can buy and sell items that have been earned in the game, either by using the in-game currency or with real money and credit that comes out of real-world bank accounts. Primarily, as a consumer, players can buy a virtual sword with real money as priced by the player selling it. Obviously Blizzard will be making a cut out of the profits of any transaction and even listing an item to sell comes with a charge. Just like eBay, but with virtual items."

"How is the transaction fee determined?
    A nominal fixed transaction fee will be deducted from the seller for each item listed in the auction house. This fee consists of a fixed charge to list the item, which is assessed whether or not the item is successfully sold, and an additional fixed charge that is assessed only if the item is sold. Because the listing portion of the fee is charged even if the item doesn’t sell, it will be in the seller’s interest to list items he or she believes other players will be interested in, and to do so at a competitive price. Specific details related to the transaction fee for the currency-based auction house will vary by region and will be announced at a later date."

Please note that we plan to waive the listing portion of the fee for a limited number of transactions per account. In other words, for these transactions, the seller will only pay a transaction fee if the item is successfully sold, and that fee will not include the listing charge. We’ll have further details on this as well at a later date.

"Additionally, every once in a while a developer (or publisher, in some cases) even decides to try forcing our hand on the matter by leaving us no choice but to pony up the extra cash in order to finish the single player experience we got with the initial $65 game purchase. The Epilogue pack for Prince of Persia (2008) is the perfect example of this; gamers were charged an extra ten bucks just to get the game’s ending! Similarly, Alan Wake received two DLC add-ons (only one of which was offered for free, if you purchased the game new) meant to flesh out the unfinished end to the story of the standard release."

/quotes

I won't be buying Diablo 3 if they implement any way for the company to make money beyond game sales.
    Last edited by Daedroth; 17th-August-2011 at 14:01.

Thanks

live-action gaming

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fugsnarf View Post
    I find that pretty unrealistic. Nintendo isn't going to die any time soon. I don't see any big game-making companies dying any time soon. I do hope Crapcom dies, though. That probably won't happen either, unfortunately.
    Honestly Nintendo completely lost me shortly after I got out of puberty. I haven't owned a Nintendo system or bought any Nintendo games since the SNES days. They just don't appeal to me anymore. I haven't owned a handheld system since the original Game Boy. Unless you count an Iphone3 as a hand held system, I do some retro emulation on that.

And to the post about Diablo III, that sounds really freaking gay. Blizzard has gone completely out of their mind. If people are going to be paying real money for items, then I will just be one of the ones who "hacks" and gets them for free, or exploits a duplication glitch. How can they endorse one kind of cheating over another just because they make a cut? I will be the one who decides for myself what is cheating and what isn't. I still know of a way to duplicate items in Diablo 2 online, unless they fixed the glitch.

Diablo III is going to be trololol, they are just going to encourage ninja looting of any item that is decent because people will think they can just sell it for real money which will make teaming rather pointless. Its going to be a solo fest of people looking for items.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 17th-August-2011 at 19:20.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Of course Blizzard would do this after seeing people sell Diablo 2 shit over the internet.

Gotta love those low drop chances.

Also it doesn't matter if serious gamers care about Nintendo or not, they are not going anywhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    just what we all fucking need, more realism in something not real. honestly i hate that, i want my games unrealistic and fun! thats why i love jrpg's so much. and halo (as bad as it is its unrealistic)
    I couldn't agree more! Someone was arguing with me over how turn based RPGs are terrible because it isn't realistic to have someone stand still while you hit them. Isn't the escaping reality a major point of playing games? Anyways I really hope that people stop abusing DLC in the future. I can't believe people are paying money for a costume in something like Street Fighter when it should just be unlockable in the game. DLC could be used for so many good things and I have rarely find reasonably priced DLC.
    Living life without doing what you want, now that's just a recipe for misery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPITYTHEFOOLZ View Post
    DLC could be used for so many good things and I have rarely find reasonably priced DLC.
    Little big planet is an excellent example of this. £1.59/$1.99 for a single costume that you will be bored of after a few minutes.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DLC is bullshit I've been saying it since the beginning. Sure it could have decent applications (like side stories for an RPG that could be developed well after release) but greed dictates that most of it will be pointless shit or like crimsonedge mentioned earlier super powerful items that are basically the same difference as cheating. Or better yet make it so that one has to buy the DLC to be able to fully enjoy the game. A fighting game? Let's make half the roster DLC! I'm looking at you Capcom.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Not having a manual and a shiny box is incentive enough for piracy? You and your brother find new ways to make me facepalm every day.
    When everyone realizes they paid $60 for a bunch of ones and zeroes, piracy will skyrocket

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    Hold the phone a minute pal, who told you that?.. that has never ever been the case. The Consoles always use "already" available pc gpus etc when being manufactured. The pc was always the better platform with the console constantly trying to catch up. When consoles of the past came out, the PC and its games were a generation above those right from the start, with higher res much crisper better textures, with more graphics on screen at once etc, and online play too. You needed a pc to reach this level, now you dont, and there is even better consoles already in the pipeline, so god help pc gaming.

Look at the PS3, it uses an Nividia 7900 GPU,how old is that compared to the supreme Gpu's the pc is running today?.. and what is soooo different and better?.. nothing really. See what I mean that consoles of a much lower spec rubs shoulders with todays pc gaming even 6 years on. That is what is different from the other times, and it is evident in the fact that consoles now have a much longer lifespan, as back in the day people cried out for better graphics and wanted a new console with the newer pc generation graphics. And consoles had about a 5yr lifespan. Because the pc was washing consoles up, with ever impressing graphics and visuals.

Jesus Christ!!!*shakes head*.. did I say pc's would not exist?.. This thread is about what "I/you think" of the gaming future, and "I think" pc gaming will fall from grace and Windows in general. I work around pc's and have seen the industry haste up quite a bit. People dont crave the superior graphics since the PS3/360 offer quite the same experence even 6 yrs on from their release. And that is very strange that the pc isnt really "trumping"the consoles and moving gaming onwards as it did years ago. Do you see my point?, or atleast where I'm coming from? Again as usually, everyone else gives their opinion but when I give mine it gets teared to shreds with seemingly irrelevant points towards what I'm pointing.

The pc will remain as a business tool etc and for other things like home video editing. So obviously there's still good reason for the pc even 10 yrs on.

BUT REMEMBER!! This is a fucking Gaming future thread, sweet jesus.. I'm not writing off the pc, just stating how I think gaming has changed and will change for the worse in pc gaming terms..... The "gamers pc" is sinking and fast, trust me. And just as you mentioned "multiplatform".. yeah mate, some might say that is exactly what I'm getting at, its turning and the pc is becoming more and more irrelevant.

No harm, but that is really a dumb statement right there. The point is the pc isn't progressing anymore, its all industry. Some people even have the nerve to say "you can upgrade the pc down the line".. well there isnt a better time to say this- Why?.. so it can continue playing games that the 6yr consoles STILL PLAY. Now 5-6 yrs ago that would have been relevant, as DX9 was amazing and consoles simply couldn't produce those mind blowing visuals, but now this generation is different, there isn't anything spectacular about pc graphics anymore, they use to be the dogs balls, now it all GTX580 and Radoen6970 and multi GPU's.. but all for what?.. its just become a complete rip off over the last 5 or so years. And you're forgetting one thing - the impending release of the next gen consoles. Lets just say, I feel sorry for anyone who goes out sometime soon and buys an expensive "gaming pc" to have a new console"mock it" over its lifespan, and watch the pitiful pc endure its life as a constant upgrading pc along side the console. Just as whats happening now lol. And it gonna get worse.
    Pc will never die. Even if the pc gaming dies, computers are still much better than tablets. With a pc one can do just about ANYTHING. Where is the versatility in tablets. A keyboard and mouse is much better than a touchscreen. Hardware is much better in a computer than a tablet therefore software applications can be more powerful and complex. A computer has no need for a fart application to feel like it is useful.

I looked at your links, but what do you mean "All I'll say about that".. are you agreeing with me?

I'm only asking since you quoted me and posted it.

The 360 reads and plays DVD movies also which in some cases are dual layer.. The Wii was gonna be made as a dvd player so the drive supports it, but they held back on it, but hackers brought it out of it and made it do it, so the softmod makes it read burnt DVD's and play the games. But yeah the GC is a good example, that worked against pirates AFAIK, couldnt be bothered googling to ind out if it was hacked.
    Nothing is hack proof. All three have modchips to either allow burned games or games from other media and gc and 360 three also have ways of software hacks to run homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by emufan79 View Post
    Wasnt pc gaming supposed to have been gone or next to gone 10 years ago? as long as pc's are in use,games will be made and played on them.just like you will never replace the people who love the plug and play simplicity of consoles,(myself being one)you will never replace the people who just want a little more "oomph" in their games (myself also being one) that pc games deliver.

As far as gaming overall in 5 years I hope to see some innovations.We will be well into the next generation of consoles by then,and I think we all assume that our current XBL,PSN & Wii accounts will transfer over to the new consoles (they better!!) so im sure we will still be playing those types of games still.I expect to see more in the way of digital downloading,though im not really happy about that since we all know that the $ saved by not producing cases,manuals etc will not be passed down to the consumer.We will all have to wait and see! im certainly excited though!!

To the member above me: overkill much? you want one of the better game makers of the world,Capcom to go bankrupt because they canceled MML3? now let me say that I love MM.I always have since I played MM2 @ age 7.but that ridiculous! imagine no more SF,Darkstalkers,and OTHER MM games
    cmon bro grow up!
    Really all you're paying for is the manual, case and a blank disc. The data on it is just ones and zeroes, i.e. intagible.

Crapcorn has pretty much decided to silently kill Megaman. Expect to not see much out of him except for shovelware titles from now on. Street fighter games are all pretty much the same especially when they have the same roman numeral. The same for MvC. They're killing Dmc. Apparently they're trying to cater to Twilight fans as opposed to idk, DMC fans. Resident evil is being milked almost as bad as COD all the while completely ignoring what made RE what it is. I swear if the next RE features evil Nazis instead of Zombies...

Furthermore MML has a large following. Many petitioned heavily for MML3 and when it was started, Crapcorn started something new that allowed fans to help design it. Of course not many people even knew about it as crapcorn barely ever mentioned it, even to fans that wanted MML3 or Megaman fans in general. Then after cancelling the project that many had a personal stake in, they did the unthinkable. Blame the very fans that wanted the game in the first place for not enough CLAMOUR. Hardly anyone knew of the devroom and that's how Crapcorn wanted it so they wouldn't have to release it. Looking back on all of the facts andone sees that the project was fought tooth and nail every step of the way. Executive meddling at it's worse.

On another note, yesterday was "Teabag a Capcom executive day", a monthly holiday held on the 17th for megaman enthusiasts to teabag an executive. Props are given to those wearing a megaman costume while doing it.

There would have to be an incentive to hack it. Like how would an image be played if it was got off one of the disks somehow?.. or how would they burn a game disk, since the originals are electric magnetically pressed when being produced.

If it comes down to finding a way to burn or make a dupe disk, then it would have to be super precise, like right down to the hole being exactly at the right LBA on the disk etc... like I keep saying there is a way somehow to make it happen, it needs to be made so that its just too much of a big deal to hack. or will cost too much to make replica disk etc, ... different games can have different hole locations or something, again making it very complicated to make mass produced replica disks if they get around to that.

And the top of the disk drive could track with a second laser or something, then both lasers do a high five during "hole checks" then continue playing lol
    If one thing I know is is that making the system hard to hack is an incentive in itself to some. Hackers will hack whatever you make, all you can hope to do is stall them. Whatever you do though, don't accuse everybody of being pirates. Iron fist policies don't work. DRM increases piracy. Release complete and worthwhile games and people will buy them. Release incomplete betas with more time spent on DRM and DLC and it will get cracked and pirated. Ignore the pirates and focus on catering to the buying consumers. If you do that no effort will be spent on stopping the unstoppable and piracy will be kept at a minimum. DRM and proprietary elements never stop or even curb piracy and only increase it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I don't understand why people want digital distribution.
    Spend hours downloading one game
    or
    Go to the store and buy it

Seems like a simple choice to me. An increase in speed won't matter if you've only got 20GB of bandwidth a month.
    my speed.
    I get 5 GB a month and if I go over it my speed is crippled to dial-up levels. It's either this, some other aircard (which I have seen they all have limits and this one is the only one that doesn't charge overage fees), or satellite which is overpriced and gets no beter service and the limit is even worse.

two or so streets over get cable broadband, I'm just right outside of their coverage area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Easily less than an hour if you have a good connection.
    A large portion of people don't have good connections and shouldn't be left in the wind with no games. If games are download only, many sales will be lost. Game companies only shoot themselves in the foot taking on used game sales this way.

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    If I can ever get internet faster than dial-up, it would have to have a cap 1TB or over, considering in 5-6 hours I spend at the library once a week, I download 1.5GB of data downloading videos and podcasts each time I go. Plus considering the average 360p youtube video is 20MB, watching 50 videos on youtube is about equal to 1GB, and if you have a lot more spare time/stream videos for at least a couple hours a day,downloading games, and playing games over live/psn/steam, a 20GB a month cap could be gone in less than a week. Even if I was working 8 hours a day, I would probably waste my cap in a 1.5 weeks. But hopefully in 5-10 years, internet will become cheaper and more available (I mean if companies charged 15$ a month for a 5MBPS connection, way more people would sign up for it, thus giving the company a huge profit (plus that would mean that everyone except for unemployed would be able to afford high speed internet). Not to mention that theoretically, once 5G technology is developed, internet connection speed will be nothing to worry about if it is widely available and cheap. I hope that within the next 10 years gaming will have improved and cheap global 5G wireless internet will be available to 98% of all people who wish to use the internet. Sorry for the long rant, slow internet, as stated in some of my previous posts really makes me angry.
    I agree, If my ISP (cricket) didn't suck, or I had better ISP choices, I would download almost everything. Still, I shudder at downloading a behemoth like FF13. Dumping would be better for me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisan Thyme View Post
    Where I live it would take an hour just to drive to the store to buy it.. Whereas on the other hand, I can generally download a fairly large game on Steam in less than that time. And besides, why bother going out at all if you don't have to? I'd rather start a download and take a nap, or take a shower, or do one of a million other things I do every day than stop everything I'm doing to go out and buy one game. I mean, it's not like I'll be sitting there on the edge of my seat for every single byte that's downloaded.
    It takes ten to twenty minutes to got to the store while it may take a month to download a ten GB game.The first half could be done in less than a week. After the throttle...

The reason they will keep the same old FPS and RPG or any popular genre of game coming year by year is because they sell.

If you think about it like this, every year there is another "wave" of newcomers who will buy the newest COD or Final fantasy, simply because they will not have played the plder ones but want to get into the series after hearing of their popularity. You guys are thinking from a personal perspective of how things are being released and moved on(or not moved on from your point of view).. a kid seeing MW3 on an advert coming up to christmas may want it for christmas, even though they havn't played any COD games before, and so will another 250,000 other kids... or maybe another million kids for that matter.

An easier way of explaining this is the sport games, FIFA, Tiger Woods etc... they are more less the same crap every year with minor updates. So if you are into buying the new game yearly. then it sucks. But remember someone may not have bought a FIFA or TW game before and want to get into them, so the updated version at that time does stand significant, and sells regardless(maybe drawing in half a million new comers, who knows). Remember we aren't the only bunch of gamers in the world that developers make them for, they know that new waves of people come, and they lean towards these buyers also to help future sales. And if that's what it takes to keep them companies afloat, is that a bad thing?

Even another way of making this point stronger is to mention people who want updated re-releases of popular old skool games NOW.... because that is a very greedy way to think, as you are only wanting it for yourselves. Why not let other further generations enjoy the original games first too, then maybe an even prolonged future re-release will come 20 or 30 years down the line and with 10 better graphics and gameplay depending on the modern game mechanics and styles they have then... so why should a developer "waste" that re-release on YOU/US when they can save it for a much larger audience with a much better more improved later future release.

Whats not to say once a re-release comes out(lets say FF7) is being released on PS3 at Christmas this year, so people will play and enjoy it and it was a great success of a re-release. But then what happens in maybe 20yrs time is they want another re-release of the original but with the "even more modernised" RPG elements of the time.. re-releases should only be allowed after 20yrs prior to the original.. it is only these self centered people who moan and complain they want a modernised re-release.
    I remember, there was a huge wave of platformers in the mid nineties and though you see them still today, it's no to as big a degree. Late nineties was shoot em ups. In the early nineties it was fighting games. RPGs reigned supreme on the PS2 and FPS games are the big thing here. We see that genres are a fad and games will go between them as times pass. In the future, user generated content may become big. Like mods to for pc games I see games in general having editors within to create missions similar to how Infamous 2 had one. Users could generate a mission or character or weapon or something and others could download that off the internet to increase replayability beyond the initial main game.

All the newer sports games do is update the rosters really. Once one buys one they've bought them all from that generation. All they really need to do is keep one game per sport and release a new game every three or four years and update the rosters every few months or every year. The updated rosters could be dl'd and installed from the game's menu through xbl/wiishp/psn, or the file could be installed as a separate save like one save is for progress and another is for settings and roster. Of course I don't play much sports games. In fact I think the only sports games I play are NBA Jam and Extra Innings, both SNES games and both less to do with their sports and more to do with having fun (NBA jam allows your character to catch on fire even).

I think in the future as consoles become essentially computers the line that separates them will dissipate and games will be easily ported between the two.While it is easier to pirate on pc, ignoring pc users potentially costs more money than piracy does. That's because piracy doesn't really cost anything, it isn't theft since the original product is still in the owner's hands and if piracy really costs anything, then non gamers must really break the bank for game companies (shame on you non gamers, even you granny). I don't see any of them dying, but I do see them competing more and more with hackers. If thought of in free market terms, then both sides will try to win you over with features. If you want homebrew, you side with hackers, if you want to frag some ten year olds and get your status downgraded by script kiddies, you side with the game company. If you want more privacy, you side with the hackers, if you want your credit card info plastered all over the internet, you side with the game companies. If you want complete games, you side with the hackers, if you want to buy a game only to have to buy it again you side with the game companies. if you want to just pop it in and play or just execute the install file, with no DRM and signaling the mothership involved, you side with the hackers, if you want to hassle with DRM and install limits and have your details sent back to the mothership, you side with the game companies. I think we all know who will win in the end.

Three more days until Party time!