Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Where do you see gaming in 5 years?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Krisan Thyme View Post
    Where I live it would take an hour just to drive to the store to buy it.. Whereas on the other hand, I can generally download a fairly large game on Steam in less than that time. And besides, why bother going out at all if you don't have to? I'd rather start a download and take a nap, or take a shower, or do one of a million other things I do every day than stop everything I'm doing to go out and buy one game. I mean, it's not like I'll be sitting there on the edge of my seat for every single byte that's downloaded.
    You live in bumfuck nowhere West Virginia though, whereas if you live or work in a decent sized city you'll be out every day anyway. *shrug*

Can't believe you have to drive an hour to get anywhere lol.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    You live in bumfuck nowhere West Virginia though, whereas if you live or work in a decent sized city you'll be out every day anyway. *shrug*

We live 15 minutes from one large city and 40 from another and can't get internet.

The world makes no sense .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

^ This.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In a pretty shitty state to be honest.

All the bad is more or less going to stay the same or get worse.
    Ninty got a lot of money off the Wii's motion control and little kids went nuts so I say they'll 'improve' on that while they add more gimmicks to the WiiU.
    3DS will keep on flopping until they get some... games. I say it'll get better within next year.

Microsoft will hopefully redeem themselves with better and more reliable hardware. They said that they wouldn't release a successor to the X360 anytime soon due to krapnect but they only got so much out of it... I say within the next two years there'll be a next Microsoft console.

Sony... I really have no idea. I hope for the PSV to be at least half as amazing as the PSP was and for it to get connectivity (sp?) with the PStriple games.

OnLive and Steam... I can't say. Consoles were made for games and that's where they should be played.

Spoiler warning:
    I expect at least five angry replies because of my opinion on PC vs. consoles

As for games, it'll get worse. More FPSes, another shitton of JRPGs, casual games everywhere and a load of mediocre sports titles.
    I love shmups, platformers, rhythm, racing, RTS and action games, so I admit I'm not very easily pleased.

What I'd like more than anything is for SEGA to come back to the console market. Even if it's just a handheld, I'd buy four.
    Not going to say I'd sell my soul but there's plenty of things I'd do if that could happen...
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralPegasus View Post
    As for games, it'll get worse. More FPSes, another shitton of JRPGs...
    You're saying more JRPGs have been being pushed out than FPSs? Where are they? I'm not seeing them on anything but hand-helds. I -want- more JRPGs because I think we're in an age where the "shitton" of FPSs is enough to make me gag.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sega will never get back into it unfortunately. Dreamcast flopping was a pretty devastating combo punch after the Saturn. Pretty much a fatality.

Shoot em ups are great but it's not like they are going anywhere. They will continue to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsnarf
    You're saying more JRPGs have been being pushed out than FPSs? Where are they? I'm not seeing them on anything but hand-helds. I -want- more JRPGs because I think we're in an age where the "shitton" of FPSs is enough to make me gag.
    This.

Thanks
    EP Points

most people who game play fps games, those of us who go on forums usually prefer RPGs and such however we are a minority

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

I disagree. I think there is a very large hunger for RPGs. I think there's a large hunger for any genre, what matters is what cycle the gaming industry is in. Some day awhile from now, FPSs will be out and some other genre will be in. I hope that genre will be RPGs.

My point is that it doesn't take long for things to get old. FPSs, even to people that play them, are getting -very- old. Even they can notice that it's just more of the same now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Gotta love a new Call of Duty game coming out every 6 months.

Thanks
    EP Points

dbz games and sports games are out more often

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

JRPGs are going to slowly die out. To the point where they wont even release most of them outside of Japan. They already have died down considerably on console systems. WRPGs will get more traction, and they are released on a wider range of platforms. The JRPG fans are going to have to learn Japanese if they plan on playing JRPG games in the future. I have seen the whole genre of JRPGs go downhill in 15 years. They are doing the same stuff they did in the 90s, minus the characters, minus the story, and then including MMO style tedium into the game. And then they are wondering why these games aren't selling as good as they used to. Sure the graphics have improved, but its nothing more than polishing up a turd.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 16th-August-2011 at 03:34.

Thanks

What you said is all-encompassing for any genre today. Every new console game seems like more-or-less a polished turd. There's some gems in them, as with any generation and console, but it's mostly the same principle you just mentioned of doing the same stuff over and over, minus the character building, minus the story, plus the tedium. You cannot stick that label on only JRPGs. Everything's shallow these days. Handhelds seem to be the only systems where there's been actual innovation, being that they can't just have shiny graphics due to the lower capabilities of the systems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post

It's entirely true I live in a very particular area that I oftentimes refer to as nowhere. But my situation isn't that abnormal or uncommon, and my point was that I can easily download a game in half an hour to an hour, and that's far more convenient to me and to some other people than driving out to a store.

Besides it's like I said before. It's not like I sit there waiting on the download anyway.. I have other things to do with my time. I'd rather go about my daily business and have the game come to me than make a special exception and go out of my way to get a game at a store.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    We live 15 minutes from one large city and 40 from another and can't get internet.

The world makes no sense .
    Yeah. I get very solid internet where I live, despite it being in the middle of nowhere. Likewise, there actually probably are a few stores somewhat closer than an hours drive.. (Takes an hour to get to any major city, though.) But I'm not terribly familiar with most of them.
    Last edited by Krisan Thyme; 16th-August-2011 at 05:30.

Thanks

I actually like going to the store to buy games. It's nice to browse and just be a retail zombie for a bit.

I do make most of my purchases online though, either by steam or amazon.

I really hope that future consoles dont go 100% DLC though, as owning the games is part of the fun, owning the little line of text is less fun.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by krisan
    But my situation isn't that abnormal or uncommon
    It's just disheartening that you have real internet options and I don't and I'm much closer to civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by vahzl
    I actually like going to the store to buy games. It's nice to browse and just be a retail zombie for a bit.
    This. My brother doesn't get it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy For This Useful Post: