Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Platform Gaming... You Game?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Question Cross Platform Gaming... You Game?

If more game devs was to offer Cross Platform multi-player would you guys be game? or would it have to have limits to what platform before you felt comfortable? Im sure there has been plenty of times that you say have a PS3 and... say Borderlands and your mate is playing it too.... but on 360 and felt kinda annoyed.

Me id love to see cross platform gaming between PC, 360 and PS3 and Id suppose Mac if Apple would allow themselves to be brought down to everyone else's level Although it would have to be balanced right as the consoles would have controllers mainly vs the keyboard and mouse. for some games that may not be so much of an issue for say cross platform Street Fighter since if you play SF on PC (or any beat em up) and dont use a controller or arcade stick you dont love yourself, FPS would have to have the consoles auto aim balanced right to try to level the playing field.

Would you like to see something like that one day? play the same games in the same MP Match with your mates regardless if they had a 360 or a PS3. would you still say consoles vs consoles only or would you be down with a 3 way multi-player platforms (if it was balanced right so no one had a unfair advantage) or would you restrict it to only some types of games being cross platform like say Need for Speed?

Id be well happy with that, I have plenty of games on my preferred gaming platform I wish I could play with other EP Members like some Borderlands or Sonic and Sega Racing

Edit: Only 2 games come to mind outside of Mac and PC would be Postal 2 (PS3 and PC) and Shadow Run (360 and PC)

Thanks
    EP Points

Nah PC gamers being able to play against 360/PS3 players in shooters and the like are just going to hand our arses to use. Since keyboard and mouse is way more sensitive/quicker/generally better than a controller.

Thanks

Hence you play on the PS3 and use the MOVE!!!!11 dun dun duuuun.

(I still want a sixsense Hydra. Weep.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Nah PC gamers being able to play against 360/PS3 players in shooters and the like are just going to hand our arses to use. Since keyboard and mouse is way more sensitive/quicker/generally better than a controller.
    I think you can mouse and keyboard games on ps3 too dont hold me to that though. how about other types like Racing or platforming? or how about Co-op FPSing?

Thanks

Theyve done cross platform with pc and console shadowrun is the only one i can think of at the moment they had to gimp pc players to even it out and console player complained of hacks the whole time

Thanks

You can get a fragenstein for PS3/360 if you're really serious about it. People used it for MAG all the time. Then the move came out and people dominated with that instead. (Move is actually pretty damn hax for FPS.)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    I think you can mouse and keyboard games on ps3 too dont hold me to that though. how about other types like Racing or platforming? or how about Co-op FPSing?
    It's only supported by Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 AFAIK.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Console gamers be scared, yo.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobolicious View Post
    You can get a fragenstein for PS3/360 if you're really serious about it. People used it for MAG all the time. Then the move came out and people dominated with that instead. (Move is actually pretty damn hax for FPS.)
    PS Move, my arse.

Not literally, thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Although it would have to be balanced right as the consoles would have controllers mainly vs the keyboard and mouse. for some games that may not be so much of an issue for say cross platform Street Fighter since if you play SF on PC (or any beat em up) and dont use a controller or arcade stick you dont love yourself,
    Not strictly true, a keyboard is just fine for SF. My brother uses one and he finds it better than a gamepad. And he kicks my ass with it.

Anyway, yeah. I mean, why not. Although, FPS games would be terribly imbalanced, for obvious reasons. For anything else, though, I'd be game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, if you're determined...

http://hackaday.com/2011/05/25/ps3-c...ps-and-bounds/
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaStyle View Post
    Theyve done cross platform with pc and console shadowrun is the only one i can think of at the moment they had to gimp pc players to even it out and console player complained of hacks the whole time
    What? You're beating me!? HACKS AND CHEATS!!!!!

Thanks
    EP Points

It's called having a mouse. Best hack ever.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Not strictly true, a keyboard is just fine for SF. My brother uses one and he finds it better than a gamepad. And he kicks my ass with it.

Anyway, yeah. I mean, why not. Although, FPS games would be terribly imbalanced, for obvious reasons. For anything else, though, I'd be game.
    If you got used to using it, maybe. Is there a simple controls option?

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Using anything but an arcade stick for a fighting game is like using a laptop touchpad for a FPS.

Thanks
    EP Points

The idea of cross-platform multiplayer isn't too bad, but it would have to be assured that it won't cause severe balance issues. I mean, XBox vs PS3 (going by bog-standard), that's console controller vs console controller. The difference is so minimal as to be negligible.

Controller vs keyboard/mouse in certain platforms however, could be tricky. I'll grant you may be able to use keyboard/mouse on a PS3, but going by bog-standard, one shouldn't necessitate the purchase of extra peripherals to keep a game's balance intact in most cases, in my opinion. It happens, but I don't think it should happen.

But yeah, it would be amusing to play Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing against Kouen, given that he has the PC version and I've got the PS3 version.

Oh, and Kouen, should this ever become reality - I've bloody well got Robotnik. Deal with it.