Thread: Are .Cue = .BIN the same in Performance?Which file type is better?

Thanks

Default Are .Cue = .BIN the same in Performance?Which file type is better?

Quick backstory ;

I game on an Android device (Xperia play) and only recently found out how to use Emulators and ISO/Roms.When i tried extracting a few games from here (MGS and FFVII) they had a CUE file,which is MUCHHHHH shorter than the .BIN file.Using a portable device means i have a SD card,thus limited memory,i need an answer.

Are Cue the same as bin files?

i need memory,and since these are MULTI-DISK games,i'd like cheaper on the memory bytes for the complete experience.

Thnx!

Thanks
    EP Points

Considering the CUE file is 1KB it obviously doesn't hold the data. The BIN file does.

Supreme Warrior Guest

the Cue Sheet or cue is what tells the program how to read the Bin properly ,
    some Discs contain multiple tracks Such as wav Audio and the cue is vital for this data to be read precisely in a virtual drive/Burning software, or emulator.

so yes, the cue is very important.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cue files are very important though all the data is in the Bin or Img files

A cue file or ccd file though are tiny are very much needed most the of the time, specially if the Bin or Img have multi tracks or external tracks

A cue file can be opened in notepad, so if you do that and there is only one track, then the cue file is not needed

These very small files tell whatever software that is reading them what tracks are stored within the bin or img

If you did only keep the data files bin or img then the software reading them will only recognise the first track

Some games will run fine without sound tracks, other games will refuse to work without them

cue & ccd are so small they are not going to make any space impact on any limited space media like SD cards, data tracks will but they are unavoidable

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What I mean is when I extract a game file completely it gave me a cue and a bin type. My PS 1 emu played a a cue file which worked well. Should I delete the bin then? Some cue files have data, some don't. another thing, I didn't finish playing the games with cue files (mgs) so am not sure if cue has been ALL the game data

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No keep both bin and cue

If you read my post you would know that

But...

Cue = instruction as to what tracks are in the bin
    Bin = game data track & audio data tracks

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

When you opened the CUE file, the emulator used it to reference the BIN file of the same name in the same folder. Think of the CUE as a reference guide, or a map, for the BIN file.