Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Games/Consoles Will You Pass Down?

Thanks

Default What Games/Consoles Will You Pass Down?

Hopefully this topic hasn't been brought up yet. If so, my apologies - please just close it if that's the case. I'm just trying to think of something to talk about

I often wonder what kinds of games future kids are going to be playing and what they'll think of the stuff we consider retro now, whether they'll look at it with complete disdain or have absolutely no idea what I'm even talking about if I bring up to them. And then I start thinking about which titles I'll pass down to my own kids or what systems I'll start them on. I'd love to start them on a SNES or Sega Genesis but I can't imagine they'd have the patience for it (yes, I doubt my children before they're even born ) when glossy new consoles are coming out.

Anyway, I was curious if any one else has thought about this kind of stuff. I know a few members have kids already. Are you (everyone, not just current parents) going to just help them learn to pick good titles from new-generation consoles, or do you want to educate them in the classics? If they're even interested in games in the first place. And if you don't plan on having kids, what would you try to pass down to nieces/nephews/neighborhood brats trying to steal stuff from your garage?

Of course, I expect favorite titles and consoles to be listed here, but try to actually think of the next generation instead of just listing your top ten. For example, FF8 is my favorite of the series, but I'd probably pass down FF9 instead because I feel eight is a little dense sometimes and a kid would give up on it quickly, whereas nine is more light-hearted and accessible, I feel.

And conversely, what would you try to lean kids away from?

I'll post my own answers later if the thread gets a few replies so I can stop building this wall of text

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not having kids. Bloody parasites.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mega Man 6, Out Run 2, many shoot-em-ups (can't pick one) and all first-gen Sonic games to begin with.
    I may expand the list later, but I've no doubt about those.

Not sure I'd have kids though.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Probably all my games/consoles. I want my kids to have the same gaming experience as a kid like I've had. D Lol. I'd definitely give them my 360 and PS3, NES and SNES, N64 and a lot more. ^3^

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd hand them a copy of Thief 3 and lock them in a room. Once they beat it, they can come out.

Okay, serious answer this time. At first, it sounds obvious that you'd want to start kids or first-time gamers with the classics, but I'm not sure if that's always the best idea. Depends on the person as well.

I don't care much for the NES/SNES era since I grew up with a PC, so I can't comment much on that. I'd probably not force some of my favourite PC classics on a kid, though. Not immediately, anyway. Let them enjoy some fancy current-gen graphics for a bit, then they might develop an interest in some of the oldies, or the previous installments of a series.

Thanks
    EP Points

Only my Nintendo systems.
    The SEGA ones and PSX are Mine!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I don't care much for the NES/SNES era since I grew up with a PC, so I can't comment much on that. I'd probably not force some of my favourite PC classics on a kid, though. Not immediately, anyway. Let them enjoy some fancy current-gen graphics for a bit, then they might develop an interest in some of the oldies, or the previous installments of a series.
    This. SNES is ok but, NES is pretty lame.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm taking all of my games with me to the grave, and the living will have to dig up my corpse, fight my ghost and the legions of Hell in order to obtain them. Though, if I had to, I would leave some poor soul the shining light that is Homeworld, the greatest PC game ever crafted, to show them the true path in life.

Thanks

Yeah, I won't force the classics on my kids, but I do hope they take an interest in them eventually. There are just so many iconic titles that have shaken things up in the industry that I think would be a shame to ignore. Of course, I'll have all my systems set up in the living room for myself, anyway, so they'll have access to them all

What I find interesting to think about is how impressed I used to get as games improved through the generations and became more "realistic." I remember moving from MGS to MGS 2 when it came out and being just stunned that you could shoot glass bottles off shelves.

Nowadays, that kind of thing is expected and I'm a little disappointed my kids won't look at games with that kind of awe (though who really know what will be happening in the future. VR?! ). Games had to really push against the limitations of technology before, and while I enjoy new-gen games, I feel like that struggle in the past added a sort of extra charm and creativity on the creators' part.

A few I'll encourage them to check out: Super Metroid, MGS, FF9, and even though I personally couldn't stand the game, I'd want them to try Heavy Rain once they got a little older since it has been pretty important in the industry.

Thanks

My children get the Virtual Boy. I'm burning the rest of this shit along with myself
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL I'M SO WAAAAACCKYYYYYYY

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Atari 2600 till they can appreciate current gen without whining about slight things.

Then maybe Doom or other older shooter to remind em that fps games arnt all looking at a bit of wall / building and popping up n down like a jack in the box

Thanks

i would pass down the n64 so i can give my decendants an appriciation for classic games before they play anything modern because i like my my kids to enjoy both classic and modern games. anyone with me?

Thanks

SNES. I will indoctrinate them into RPG madness.

Thanks

When I have a first child if he/she doesnt beat every metal gear solid game by the age of 15 they will be put up for adoption.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTBOY580 View Post
    When I have a first child if he/she doesnt beat every metal gear solid game by the age of 15 they will be put up for adoption.
    I second this