Thread: How To Fix Broken Sholder Buttons On A PS2 Controller?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default How To Fix Broken Sholder Buttons On A PS2 Controller?

the title pretty much says it all, i only have one working controller for my ps2 untill i get some money but my right bottom sholder button (R2) keeps sticking, is there any way to fix this? i keep having to dig it out with a flat headded screwdriver

EDIT: also having a simmilar problem with my left analog stick, it doesnt like to click in properly for L3

thanks in advanced

PS: if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks

Have you tried hitting it?

Or you can just open up the controller and clean it, and see if that helps your L3 button.
    I aim to misbehave.
    -Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Open it up and make sure there isnt any crud or anything making it stick.

Thanks

I have always been very adept at fixing console controllers. Because every now and then I am known to toss one.

I have a power drill with some long phillips bits I use to take apart a PS2 controller. The shoulder buttons are perhaps the trickiest. There is a ribbon that needs to be placed correctly back in the slot so the plastic button slides in and your controller can be put back together. There is also a rubber tab that acts like a spring that pushes your button back up after you press it that sits above the plastic ribbon, which also needs to be placed correctly. If something is out of whack then when you go to press the controller back together, something will be preventing this, which is usually one of the above not seated correctly.

Also there is a little rubber tab that is above the plastic ribbon, when you push down the button it presses the tab that hits the ribbon and makes the button register. Sometimes the rubber gets torn, or gets dislocated which will cause your button to stick. In the case of a torn rubber piece, I used a small amount of rubber cement glue around the area that was torn and let it dry for a few minutes, and put it back it and it works as good as new. The only difference is you won't hear the sound of the button pressing, but it should be fully functional if you didn't get too sloppy with the glue.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 19th-July-2011 at 23:45.