Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you counter, "You don't have a job"?

Thanks
    EP Points

Angry How do you counter, "You don't have a job"?

I find this incredibly agitating when people say this to me, mainly my dad and my sis. The thing that irks me more, is, its just a casual conversation, that turns snoody. For example, i could say, "I want X gift for Christmas" and they would say, "Well, if you had a JOB, you could buy it yourself.". Then they harp on me for not having a job. I am looking really hard for a job, but there's nothing here. They think a job will just magically show up out of the blue. I am signed up to six job websites, and the state of Michigan is helping me find a job, and i haven't found anything yet. So i am looking, and it stresses me out just to look, since its the same few jobs that i don't qualify for or they are too far away. hooray for being a web designer...I would be happy with an office job, but we don't even have those in our area, all we have is fast food and work off commission jobs, which neither of them i'm interested in, since job security is almost 0. if they find someone better, they'll replace you.

lol, a bit of a rant, but whats the best way to counter, "You don't have a job" arguments?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Get a job.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Get a job.

Pretty much I guess.

Sounds like shit, but if flipping burgers is all you can find, then I'd be flipping burgers until something else comes along. Pride is not an excuse.

Totally sucks man, hope you find something soon.
    Last edited by Eulogy; 18th-July-2011 at 04:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

I inherited some money when my Mother passed away so I quit my customer service job and started smoking weed all day. It was a huge mistake and I'm still getting out from under the mess I made almost a decade ago.

Thanks
    EP Points

In high school,i majored in chemical technology and then i went off to college to study and become a teacher,until my father decided it was to expensive and i should stay at our farm.Instead of working in a lab or a classroom,i'm now a farmer.

Does it suck to have a job for which you're overqualified? Yes.
    Is that job better than having no job at all? Yes.

I can relate to your situation,lizard,but as the French say - c'est la vie.

And i do hope you'll get a job that you are qualified for.

Thanks

Wow, my Dad is just like that, I learned not to ask for anything unless I am given a choice by my Dad. Nowadays I would just say, "Don't be an ass."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1st option to keep trying for a job.
    2nd one is that You can start a shop of something like photo printing. and if you have the knowledge of photoshop you can edit photos yourself.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by tanwarmohit287 View Post
    1st option to keep trying for a job.
    2nd one is that You can start a shop of something like photo printing. and if you have the knowledge of photoshop you can edit photos yourself.
    yeah if you work hard enough you don't necessarily need an employer. It's just very difficult and I personally could not do it with my own art skills alone. But, (and this is important,) I did gain a ton of self respect through finishing some large projects even if they weren't commercially viable.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Simple: getting one.

Yeah, hate on me for that.
    Want tips?
    1) I've learnt from experience that sometimes ALWAYS it's better to show up to interviews, personally delivering your curriculum and talking to whoever's going to hire you.

2) If you can't get something you like or are good at, offer yourself to learn how things go in a business you more or less believe you can work on for a lesser wage.

3) Like Mr. Gupta said "just keep your head down". Also "Wet floor".

4) BE PATIENT
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 18th-July-2011 at 15:20.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks

The job market right now for people your age, with no real marketable skills is really pathetic. Very competitive job market even for low wage jobs. At least make an effort to look and tell them you are trying your best to find one. What you need is a whole lot of luck and to be even more persistent to get a job.

My younger cousin recently got a job at a EB games inside of a mall, he went in and filled the application out and immediately talked to the manager and was hired on spot. Look around places like that and you might get lucky.

If you are going to go to school, don't be like my older cousin that went to school and was an English major (BA) who is currently working in a Walmart, because her field isn't in that much demand right now. Talk about being overqualified, lol.

Look into engineering, almost all fields of engineering are in high demand, and I guarantee you won't be stuck with a BA and working in a Walmart.

I went to school and started out as a CAD drafter and then they trained me to be a machinist. Machinist/Tool and die is the second highest paid people in manufacturing besides engineers.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 19th-July-2011 at 03:02.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lizard81288 View Post
    I find this incredibly agitating when people say this to me, mainly my dad and my sis. The thing that irks me more, is, its just a casual conversation, that turns snoody. For example, i could say, "I want X gift for Christmas" and they would say, "Well, if you had a JOB, you could buy it yourself.". Then they harp on me for not having a job. I am looking really hard for a job, but there's nothing here. They think a job will just magically show up out of the blue. I am signed up to six job websites, and the state of Michiganis helping me find a job, and i haven't found anything yet. So i am looking, and it stresses me out just to look, since its the same few jobs that i don't qualify for or they are too far away. hooray for being a web designer...I would be happy with an office job, but we don't even have those in our area, all we have is fast food and work off commission jobs, which neither of them i'm interested in, since job security is almost 0. if they find someone better, they'll replace you.

lol, a bit of a rant, but whats the best way to counter, "You don't have a job" arguments?
    I'm guessing you live in Michigan, not just staying at a Dorm in college or whatever, so what area do you live in?
    And getting a job is the best way to counter those arguments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Get a job.

I was going to say that! Damnit.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lizard81288 View Post
    I find this incredibly agitating when people say this to me, mainly my dad and my sis. The thing that irks me more, is, its just a casual conversation, that turns snoody. For example, i could say, "I want X gift for Christmas" and they would say, "Well, if you had a JOB, you could buy it yourself.". Then they harp on me for not having a job. I am looking really hard for a job, but there's nothing here. They think a job will just magically show up out of the blue. I am signed up to six job websites, and the state of Michigan is helping me find a job, and i haven't found anything yet. So i am looking, and it stresses me out just to look, since its the same few jobs that i don't qualify for or they are too far away. hooray for being a web designer...I would be happy with an office job, but we don't even have those in our area, all we have is fast food and work off commission jobs, which neither of them i'm interested in, since job security is almost 0. if they find someone better, they'll replace you.

I just backspaced over what I really want to say. I'll clean it up by saying you really need to try harder.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    I just backspaced over what I really want to say. I'll clean it up by saying you really need to try harder.
    Here let me say it for you.

Mate your a fuckhead, signing up to websites does fuck all, its clear you:
    1) Arent actively looking for a job
    2) have such high standed's you feel any job YOU dont want to do is below you.
    3) Have the narrow minded ideal that your city is the shit, thus you wont look outside the area, as your a lazy prick.

137 resumes handed in, in ONE WEEK of job hunting, i had that many interviews i had to decline some. (One state)
    Rang two places in another state, both offered me jobs the day i landed.

Theres trying, and then there WOAHIES ME THERE ARENT ANY JOBS WAH WAH WAH.
    Take a fucking job, and look for others while you are getting paid, working looks better on your resume then that "Period of time where i did fuck all but complained about there being jobs on an emulation forum"

#WINNING

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Here let me say it for you.

Mate your a fuckhead, signing up to websites does fuck all, its clear you:
    1) Arent actively looking for a job
    2) have such high standed's you feel any job YOU dont want to do is below you.
    3) Have the narrow minded ideal that your city is the shit, thus you wont look outside the area, as your a lazy prick.

137 resumes handed in, in ONE WEEK of job hunting, i had that many interviews i had to decline some. (One state)
    Rang two places in another state, both offered me jobs the day i landed.

Theres trying, and then there WOAHIES ME THERE ARENT ANY JOBS WAH WAH WAH.
    Take a fucking job, and look for others while you are getting paid, working looks better on your resume then that "Period of time where i did fuck all but complained about there being jobs on an emulation forum"

#WINNING
    OH SNAP!!! +1