Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Get a Smooth Frame Rate on PC Version of ZSNES and Fusion!!

Thanks

Unhappy Can't Get a Smooth Frame Rate on PC Version of ZSNES and Fusion!!

So I've recently downloaded the ZSNES and Fusion emulators for PC and am absolutely in LOVE with them! Everything appears to be perfect with these beauties from their easy navigation, customization, etc.

My only current complaint is the overall choppy framerate they both give off. I'm running these emulators off of a Compaq laptop with Windows 7 installed and this appears to be the case with each emulator I download(the only other being Fusion). For awhile, I had a feeling that there was something I had to install or a setting I needed to tweak in order to earn a perfectly smooth framerate for each ROM that I run off of these things.

This belief was put into doubt when the ROMs that I'd run off of both of these emus would randomly run at full frame speed and then become choppy again whenever it felt like it! Bottom line: what do I need to do, given the circumstances, in order to run every ROM put through every emulator on my laptop at a smooth, full-speed framerate? Because from what I've seen, I know that it's definitely possible!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 8DXD8 View Post
    So I've recently downloaded the ZSNES and Fusion emulators for PC and am absolutely in LOVE with them! Everything appears to be perfect with these beauties from their easy navigation, customization, etc.

My only current complaint is the overall choppy framerate they both give off. I'm running these emulators off of a Compaq laptop with Windows 7 installed and this appears to be the case with each emulator I download(the only other being Fusion). For awhile, I had a feeling that there was something I had to install or a setting I needed to tweak in order to earn a perfectly smooth framerate for each ROM that I run off of these things.

This belief was put into doubt when the ROMs that I'd run off of both of these emus would randomly run at full frame speed and then become choppy again whenever it felt like it! Bottom line: what do I need to do, given the circumstances, in order to run every ROM put through every emulator on my laptop at a smooth, full-speed framerate? Because from what I've seen, I know that it's definitely possible!
    Laptop Specs please?

Supreme Warrior Guest

just curious, do you have Vsync enabled on both Emulators?

Thanks

I've tried that, but it always locks up my screen and forces me to reboot each time I enable VSync in the menu.

---------------------------------------------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7600)
    System Model: Presario CQ56 Notebook PC
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30 GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Supreme Warrior Guest

Do you have the latest DirectX installed?

Running these Emulators should not have any problems at all, all I can Think of is updating everything you can, especially your DirectX.

Edit: seems you do, maybe you are missing certain DirectX Files, get the latest DirectX Redist from Microsoft , http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109
    Last edited by Supreme Warrior; 26th-June-2011 at 23:26.

Thanks

Okay, so I downloaded the update program(which I'll assume the newest updates were from June of last year), but after extracting all of the files, I ended up with about fifty different files with different dates attached to each one!

What in the world am I supposed to do with these and how to I install the updates that I require?

Thanks
    EP Points

Leave them alone. They're installed.

Thanks

Well, it made no difference, every ROM played on my laptop still remains choppy for as long as it feels like it.

I'm pretty certain that there's more in which I need to update.

Thanks
    EP Points

We need to know your specs, to be any real help...

Thanks

I already added them six posts ago. I have a feeling that my driver problem has to do with my difficulty opening Nestopia as well.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Was the PC originally meant for Windows XP/Vista?

im trying pretty hard to figure this one out.

also to use the Directx Redist, you need to extract all the files to a temp folder and look for the setup exe, then it will install missing directx files.

Thanks

No, I bought this laptop last December with Windows 7 preinstalled. I have a feeling that Windows XP may favour better considering the emulators I'm currently using were released around 2006 and they both run perfectly, full speed/music and all, on my home computer(which came with WXP preinstalled).

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My G61 much the same spec as your laptop, infact bet it even looks the same runs all this perfect

You actually have a faster processor mine is only 2.10 dual core

Do yourself a favor and update your video driver via the HP website then do a windows update

You may also have some rubbish disturbing the performance of your laptop, hold "ctrl", "alt" and "delete" together and check the Task Manager and see if anything is using up all your laptops resorces... possible virus infaction or other infaction slowing your machine down, might actually be one of the not so good anti virus programs or some other rubbish downloaded from a prompt online

EDIT:- Because you are getting pathetic performance from a machine that should run NES SNES and Megadrive/Genesis perfect something on your system has gone seriously wrong

Do yourself a full system restore of Windows 7 when you come to setting up anitvirus software trash Norton and install the free version of Avast!, this is a very good free anti virus software.

Next update all the drivers you can via the HP website, then do all the Windows Updates

All the progs you have mentioned in this thread and other run perfect on your system specs, they should do I basicly have the same laptop but it's on a slower dual core that runs everything you have wanted to run perfectly fine, infact run alot more demanding systems emulated at full speed aswell.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2011 at 12:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

They're not installed yet you find a setup between those date files run it and then install DX.

Or just install tune up utilities. This software will tell you every thing about your pc and automatically close the unnecessary
    background processes and i think you just install your windows again.
    But note your windows activation code.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 28th-June-2011 at 14:39. Reason: Use the EDIT button, don't double post!

Thanks

My ZSNES knowledge is a bit rusty but...

Have you enabled any video filters?.. some of these use lots of cpu power to render.. go to filter options and see if there are any set.

Another thing is make sure frame skip is off, this can skip frames automatically even when pc/laptop can handle normal speed... sometimes this is on by default and you say it speds up and slows again.. so try auto frameskip in ZSNES

I know yo say some emulators have probs, not just ZSNES. Check out your video drivers because Win 7 can run on an embedded driver and not look choppy the way XP does without GPU drivers... go to control panel then system then hardware then device manager and see what display driver is installed.. if it isn't the true GPU one then it will say something like microsoft certified driver or some crap like that.

And like Supreme master said, if its a Win XP laptop, some drivers wont get hardware acceleration in Windows 7. You need to have a DirectX9 or better GPU to get hardware acceleration in Vista and Win 7
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 28th-June-2011 at 23:05.