Thread: Best cables for PS2?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Best cables for PS2?

Hi lovely people.
    After asking if I should get a PS2 or not earlier, I got a borrowed PS2 from a friend who kindly gave it to me for a week or so.

I've put it on my CRT and looks good, but when I plugged it on my LCD... damn, it was horrible.
    I knew it could look better, so I asked mr. Google and came up with two suggestions:
    a) Component (red, green, blue for video, red and white for stereo sound)
    b) S-Video cables

So, again, I come to you. I've said earlier that electronic stuff has ridiculous prices here and while I'm not too short on money I don't want $100 to go to waste.

With what cables will I get the best image output?

EDIT: My TV is a Philips 42PFL5604/77 HD 1080p ready
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 10th-July-2011 at 04:28.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Component. Or just keep it on your CRT.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Component. Or just keep it on your CRT.
    How... how is it possible for you to always answer first, Jazz? And so fast!

I'm asking because I've heard the cables (for PS3, I'll use them on PS2) may not work correctly. How can I know if it'll work or not?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.amazon.com/Component-2fV-..._ob_vg_title_0
    I'll buy one and tell you how it turns out. My LCD is shit for PS2 as well...I wish it had HDMI out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralPegasus View Post
    Hi lovely people.
    After asking if I should get a PS2 or not earlier, I got a borrowed PS2 from a friend who kindly gave it to me for a week or so.

I've put it on my CRT and looks good, but when I plugged it on my LCD... damn, it was horrible.
    I knew it could look better, so I asked mr. Google and came up with two suggestions:
    a) Component (red, green, blue for video, red and white for stereo sound)
    b) S-Video cables

So, again, I come to you. I've said earlier that electronic stuff has ridiculous prices here and while I'm not too short on money I don't want $100 to go to waste.

With what cables will I get the best image output?

EDIT: My TV is a Philips 42PFL5604/77 HD 1080p ready
    I have the same tv as yours and i'm sad to say that the image is horrible independent of the cable.
    The best thing to do is buy a component cable to use in your crt tv.
    The image will be bad because the low res of the PS2 and the problem with the scanlines of the crt tvs that ps2 was designed for.
    Cheers from Brazil.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Component cables with a crt tv are the best really.
    If you don't have a crt tv then you'll just have to make do with whatever you have I guess........or you should be able to get an old quality crt for next to nothing (or free).
    Most people don't bother keeping them, but they're handy for older consoles........I use a Sony Trinitron 80cm for my older stuff

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I found S-Video to work best at least for my setup (Playing through a capture card) but the PS2 will look somewhat like ass on all LCD TV's

Thanks
    EP Points

I've found component and RGB scart offer the best picture quality at 480p resolution on an LCD TV. Obviously with a component cable you can bump GT4 up to 1080i resolution which does look pretty good. But for everything else an RGB scart cable will suffice.

And as for a CRT TV with only S-Video/Scart then you're best off with an S-video or RGB scart cable. Unless it has component input, then use a component cable.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jmart_sa View Post
    I have the same tv as yours and i'm sad to say that the image is horrible independent of the cable.
    The best thing to do is buy a component cable to use in your crt tv.
    The image will be bad because the low res of the PS2 and the problem with the scanlines of the crt tvs that ps2 was designed for.
    Cheers from Brazil.
    That sounds... bad, but well, thanks for the tips.
    Oh and... I'm from Argentina! Cheers for you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    I've found component and RGB scart offer the best picture quality at 480p resolution on an LCD TV. Obviously with a component cable you can bump GT4 up to 1080i resolution which does look pretty good. But for everything else an RGB scart cable will suffice.

And as for a CRT TV with only S-Video/Scart then you're best off with an S-video or RGB scart cable. Unless it has component input, then use a component cable.
    My CRT has MONO sound and ONE composite entrance. I bet that says all and justifies me trying to play on a LCD...

@ All, I'm not expecting HD quality... but anything better than what I've got so far is acceptable.