Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend PC models and specs for gaming

Thanks

Default Recommend PC models and specs for gaming

Could someone recommend a good, powerful laptop? Something that's basically all around powerful, but also well-suited for gaming as well. Individual PC model recommendations are welcome, but also PC specs that are powerful and suited for gaming as well.

I'm looking into buying a new computer...by current PC is Dell Inspiron 1545 ( -___-; ) and due to my "experiences" with Dell...I don't think I'll ever get anything from Dell again

So, any help in pc model and spec recommendation is greatly appreciated ^^

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What's your budget?
    It should have 3 gb ram and over 2ghz processor and a good video card.
    Well i don't know much about graphic cards.
    Last edited by Mohit; 6th-July-2011 at 11:57. Reason: posts in rows.

Thanks

I'm not completely sure about budgeting right now. I figured I just hear some ideas and recommendations and figure out my budgeting then

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by tanwarmohit287 View Post
    What's your budget?
    It should have 3 gb ram and over 2ghz processor and a good video card.
    Well i don't know much about graphic cards.
    You might as well have just said "Alienware".

You need a budget, because without one you might as well just say Intel i7 920, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a 460 GTX.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by KurotoGin View Post
    I'm not completely sure about budgeting right now. I figured I just hear some ideas and recommendations and figure out my budgeting then
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post

You need a budget, because without one you might as well just say Intel i7 920, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a 460 GTX.
    You need a budget, then you can balance your spending and put more into what matters.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MaximumPC magazine threw out an issue this last month detailing a $667 computer. the mag is pretty good with where to buy and how to build. Most likely, you can go to their website and find the stats of the machine.

*clickity clack...*

Here it is: How to Build a Kick-Ass Gaming Rig for Under $700

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm shocked they didn't suggest a motherboard with an AMD chipset, the processors are always cheaper. You could actually cut it under $600 if you don't buy the OS .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I'm shocked they didn't suggest a motherboard with an AMD chipset, the processors are always cheaper. You could actually cut it under $600 if you don't buy the OS .
    Of course you can, but its goes unsaid.

Thanks
    EP Points

OS OEM Windows 7 Home Premium $99

I'd stick that money towards an i5 or i7...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post

Yes.

Thanks

Just to clarify from the first post... is it a laptop you want for gaming, or just a few ideas on good gaming system(s)?... because I woiuld say- Don't buy a laptop for gaming, unless you can REALLY afford one, and need to play on the move(for whatever reason that may be)

Just build a nice mid-range spec gaming pc tower.. newer graphic cards should be coming out at the end of the summer, so everythnig in the current ranges will fall and continue to fall over the months, depending on how long you hold out.

Depending on where in the world you are depends on the prices. And ofcourse.. the budget you're willing to stretch to..

Look at..

Socket 1156 Core i5/i7's (gives better performance in games over the Phenoms)
    GTX 560 Ti (price will drop soon)
    4gb ram (for now)
    A tower with decent cooling (whatever tickles your fancy)
    Microsoft Sidewinder x6 Keyboard (best keyboard for the price)
    Gigabyte GM 6880 mouse (cheap and brilliant, depends what you have used before though)

The reason why I list them parts is because they are good for the prices... but depending on what sort of a gamer you are the parts will vary with the performance you want. As some/most people just want newer games at a normal res, as long as they play ok then they are happy(that system I said may be just what you want)... But others want everything set to ultra high with tri SLi setups etc and love seeing 150fps at the corner of their screens when benchmarking games and software and all that other crap, they obviously have more money than sense.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 6th-July-2011 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    Just to clarify from the first post... is it a laptop you want for gaming, or just a few ideas on good gaming system(s)?... because I woiuld say- Don't buy a laptop for gaming, unless you can REALLY afford one, and need to play on the move(for whatever reason that may be)

Just build a nice mid-range spec gaming pc tower.. newer graphic cards should be coming out at the end of the summer, so everythnig in the current ranges will fall and continue to fall over the months, depending on how long you hold out.

Depending on where in the world you are depends on the prices. And ofcourse.. the budget you're willing to stretch to..

Look at..

Socket 1156 Core i5/i7's (gives better performance in games over the Phenoms)
    GTX 560 Ti (price will drop soon)
    4gb ram (for now)
    A tower with decent cooling (whatever tickles your fancy)
    Microsoft Sidewinder x6 Keyboard (best keyboard for the price)
    Gigabyte GM 6880 mouse (cheap and brilliant, depends what you have used before though)

The reason why I list them parts is because they are good for the prices... but depending on what sort of a gamer you are the parts will vary with the performance you want. As some/most people just want newer games at a normal res, as long as they play ok then they are happy(that system I said may be just what you want)... But others want everything set to ultra high with tri SLi setups etc and love seeing 150fps at the corner of their screens when benchmarking games and software and all that other crap, they obviously have more money than sense.
    You don't need a fancy mouse or keyboard to enjoy video games, don't waste the money.

Thanks

You don't need a fancy mouse or keyboard to enjoy video games, don't waste the money.
    What is so fancy and pricey about the ones I mentioned?... the mouse is only a tenner, some normal generic mice are that and dont have DPI switching (very handy for gaming) or arent even laser.. and the KB is only 40 tops(some generic KB's are about 15, so what is an extra 20 or so more for a far superior KB?.. not like he'll miss that 20... And that "little" extra cash for the KB will show when gaming. Macro's for RTS games, and backlight keys for night gaming.. and other pretty good functions like auto lock keys and programable software, all that pays off for such a low price and is particularly useful in a lot of games. Also noticably better palm rest and better overall build and button/key feel quaility.. you probably haven't bought a gaming keyboard before to see the benefits.

I know they are not nessecary but for a good price and the fact that lots of their features DO come in very handy even when not gaming, they are worth the price if found for cheap, like the one I mentioned.(I have that one by the way and even typing this in the dark with the red backlght and low profile keys is fast and handy)

Also another one feature I find very useful is the volume knob(cant believe people hate this about this KB) but when watching youtube or other flash stuff, I think it is amazingly handy just to be able to turn a knob to lower or higher volume, have you ever noticed that flash vid sites the video sound are always set to highest, then you have to scramble to find the volume slider to turn it down. Well instead of always looking for the volume slider and then precisely moving it to the desired volume, just a swift turn of the knob and WALA... fantastic feature to have an onboard volume knob on the KB.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 7th-July-2011 at 00:27.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    What is so fancy and pricey about the ones I mentioned?... the mouse is only a tenner, some normal generic mice are that and dont have DPI switching (very handy for gaming) or arent even laser.. and the KB is only 40 tops(some generic KB's are about 15, so what is an extra 20 or so more for a far superior KB?.. not like he'll miss that 20... And that "little" extra cash for the KB will show when gaming. Macro's for RTS games, and backlight keys for night gaming.. and other pretty good functions like auto lock keys and programable software, all that pays off for such a low price and is particularly useful in a lot of games. Also noticably better palm rest and better overall build and button/key feel quaility.. you probably haven't bought a gaming keyboard before to see the benefits.

I know they are not nessecary but for a good price and the fact that lots of their features DO come in very handy even when not gaming, they are worth the price if found for cheap, like the one I mentioned.(I have that one by the way and even typing this in the dark with the red backlght and low profile keys is fast and handy)

Also another one feature I find very useful is the volume knob(cant believe people hate this about this KB) but when watching youtube or other flash stuff, I think it is amazingly handy just to be able to turn a knob to lower or higher volume, have you ever noticed that flash vid sites the video sound are always set to highest, then you have to scramble to find the volume slider to turn it down. Well instead of always looking for the volume slider and then precisely moving it to the desired volume, just a swift turn of the knob and WALA... fantastic feature to have an onboard volume knob on the KB.
    I assumed they were expensive based on your other suggestions. The 560 is hardly a mid-range card.

Thanks

I assumed they were expensive based on your other suggestions. The 560 is hardly a mid-range card.
    I only mentioned them as they are well priced and I myself use the 2 and I have to say they are brilliant for gaming and general comfort and ease of use.

And I know the 560 is just beneath highend. But it is at a very good price compared to the 350 quid highend cards, and it will drop lower in price over the coming months, and because of this and its better performance I thought to mention it.