Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should I get a PS2?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralPegasus View Post
    I raise my glass and say "welcome to the family, PS2!"

Thanks to everyone for their input! With such an unanimous good feedback it's no wonder it has a good reason to be the best selling console of all time!
    Good choice.

a) I've seen some strongly recommend the PS3. Would you really pay 2000 bucks for it?
    It's got plenty of things but I don't think it justifies such a quantity of money (moreso when the PS2 costed me less than half of that).
    Would I pay 2000 for just a console? No. But like I said earlier, the PS3 is more than just a console.
    Besides if you get a BC PS3, then it can be like owning both consoles, and you still have all of the other features of the PS3 (Out of curiosity, what is the average price of a Blu-Ray player in Argentina?).

b) Do you really want your consoles for movies? Why don't you get a VGA cable and connect your comp to your TVs then?
    A.) My decent desktop is upstairs, my good TV is downstairs, and their would be some serious lag with my shitty laptop, especially with Netflix.
    B.) Neither of them can play Blu-Ray.

And, apart from it all, this post...
    Ah, leave Britney alone. He was just trying to help.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 1st-August-2011 at 22:26.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alakazander View Post
    Good choice.

Would I pay 2000 for just a console? No. But like I said earlier, the PS3 is more than just a console.
    Besides if you get a BC PS3, then it can be like owning both consoles, and you still have all of the other features of the PS3 (Out of curiosity, what is the average price of a Blu-Ray player in Argentina?).

A.) My decent desktop is upstairs, my good TV is downstairs, and their would be some serious lag with my shitty laptop, especially with Netflix.
    B.) Neither of them can play Blu-Ray.

Ah, leave Britney alone. He was just trying to help.
    1) No idea exactly, but they are available for less than the PS3, still being expensive.
    PS2 plays DVDs and audio CDs as well, so?

2) BC PS3s are one in a million. And besides, I've asked sony about just about every PS2 title that I wanted to play on it and it reported partial compatibility, freezing at some points, lag, etc.

I play a lot of obscure and japan-only games, so it made me doubt and went "ah, hell, I'll just get a PS2". I doubt the guys at sony wanted to lose a sale on purpose, anyway.
    I was interested on more PS2 than PS3 titles anyway.

3) When you explicitly state "I don't want X" and you get ONLY the three prime examples of X, don't you think it can be recognized as trolling?
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    EP Points

1) No idea exactly, but they are available for less than the PS3, still being expensive.
    PS2 plays DVDs and audio CDs as well, so?
    But not Blu-Ray or from a flash drive or Netflix, which is why I like the PS3. It just depends on your situation.

2) BC PS3s are one in a million. And besides, I've asked sony about just about every PS2 title that I wanted to play on it and it reported partial compatibility, freezing at some points, lag, etc.
    I play a lot of obscure and japan-only games, so it made me doubt and went "ah, hell, I'll just get a PS2". I doubt the guys at sony wanted to lose a sale on purpose, anyway.
    I was interested on more PS2 than PS3 titles anyway.
    Yeah, anything that was not a "Platinum hit" will probably not work very well. But if I had known about your NTSC-J games and the fact that you were simply more interested in the PS2 library I would not have posted anything other than my suggestions.

No FPS and no turn-based RPG.
    3) When you explicitly state "I don't want X" and you get ONLY the three prime examples of X, don't you think it can be recognized as trolling?
    Quote Originally Posted by flaming_shadow View Post
    Kingdom Hearts I and II and Final Fantasy X and XII
    Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are real-time action RPG's. FF XII is a real-time action-RPG. The only turn-based suggestion is FF X. Get yo' facts straight.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 1st-August-2011 at 23:54. Reason: Netflix

Thanks
    EP Points

I didn't consider it trolling. Kingdom hearts 1 and 2 are both action rpgs like you stated that you liked. Final Fantasy XII isn't turn based as it is active time battle based as you stated you didn't like Turn based rpgs. Final Fantasy X is the only Turn based rpg one out of all four games listed.

Furthermore I took the recommendations as he was saying to the general public that the ps2 was worth it for those four titles, not necessarily pitching them to you.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks

GOD OF WAR
    GOD OF WAR
    GOD OF WAR
    GOD OF WAR 2
    Prince of Persia: warrior within
    Ratchet and Clank 2 going commando (or locked n loaded depending on where you are). ratchet 1 is fun but is missing that strafe control that they added in 2. making it much more fun and controllable while blasting.
    REZ
    king of fighters 2002 umtv
    tekken 5
    we love katamari
    gradius V
    mushimesama (yes its fun... no digital sound output tho. rca only)
    mx unleashed
    mercury meltdown remix

if you like racing check out
    Gran Turismo 3
    Battle Gear 3 (j only)
    outrun 2006
    tourist trophy

lots of other stuffs
    Last edited by frenchfries; 2nd-August-2011 at 02:55.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to frenchfries For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfries View Post
    GOD OF WAR
    GOD OF WAR
    GOD OF WAR
    GOD OF WAR 2
    Prince of Persia: warrior within
    Ratchet and Clank 2 going commando (or locked n loaded depending on where you are). ratchet 1 is fun but is missing that strafe control that they added in 2. making it much more fun and controllable while blasting.
    REZ
    king of fighters 2002 umtv
    tekken 5
    we love katamari
    gradius V
    mushimesama (yes its fun... no digital sound output tho. rca only)
    mx unleashed
    mercury meltdown remix

if you like racing check out
    Gran Turismo 3
    Battle Gear 3 (j only)
    outrun 2006
    tourist trophy

lots of other stuffs
    Mushihimesama, OutRun 2006, GoW and Ratchet and Clank?
    YES! Have the first three already, getting R&C soon!

And Alakazander/Alan Heer, I recognize I put no turn based RPGs. I thought I said no JRPGs.
    And further in the thread I said something along the lines of "one or two RPGs are fine, no more".

I should have also stated that the two franchises I hate more than anything in vidya are exactly FF AND KH.

I considered it trolling because whenever I ask for suggestions I copy-paste the above sentence.
    Just a bad coincidence. My apologies.

And no, I'd rather not waste precious time explaining why I loathe them. Please don't ask.
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 3rd-August-2011 at 04:13.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    The lasers are the weakest part in the PS2, the motherboard itself will probably last forever.

Old PS2 + FMCB memory card + HDLoader + Network adapter + Decent size IDE HDD =
    Most of the time the lasers just need to be cleaned. Q-Tip + rubbing alcohol on the lens. I cleaned mine and it stopped giving me disk read errors and started loading 50% faster. From just looking it appeared to not really be dirty, but the Q-Tip got a lot of dirt out of there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    Most of the time the lasers just need to be cleaned. Q-Tip + rubbing alcohol on the lens. I cleaned mine and it stopped giving me disk read errors and started loading 50% faster. From just looking it appeared to not really be dirty, but the Q-Tip got a lot of dirt out of there.
    I know I was getting DREs on it a few years ago. Back then, I didn't know anything about opening the console up and cleaning the lens using the method described in your post. I really didn't. Don't laugh. But, I knew I had to do something. Out of complete desperation, I used a cleaning disc with the little brushes on the data side. I followed the audio instructions and took the disc out. I put in a retail PS2 game that had stopped working for me and it loaded right up! Ever since doing that, my PS2 has performed flawlessly. Note that the method I chose is highly discouraged by many when it comes to cleaning the laser lens of a gaming console; hell, I remember seeing a warning on the cleaning disc's package saying NOT to use it in a Xbox or PS2. Just thought I'd share that.

Thanks

Wait, you can clean the Lens to speed up load times? So that's why my copy of Rogue Galaxy stopped working (I got it dirt cheap, not even that many scratches). I gotta start learning these things
    "Xion, I don't want to kill you, and to prove that to you, I'm going to kill you!"
    -KingDUMB Hearts

Thanks

I came to a point where I can sell my ps2 and with some money I saved I would've been able to buy a ps3, but I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 0blivionkeeper View Post
    Wait, you can clean the Lens to speed up load times? So that's why my copy of Rogue Galaxy stopped working (I got it dirt cheap, not even that many scratches)
    Older versions of Rogue Galxy may stop working on chapter 7(after battling the masked guy) due to some error with the copying I guess.
    Last edited by Hobomaster; 13th-August-2011 at 00:41.

Thanks

Hi there , can someone help me with software moding to PS2 ? all i was founded asks for money .
    Thank you.

Thanks
    EP Points

2 things:

1. don't necro post (this thread is ancient), this should be common sense.

2. i think your question belongs in the Sony systems section of the everything console sub-forum (or maybe emulation).

next time just start a new thread with your question instead of raising the dead. pretty sure cookie would've said something to this effect if he beat me to this thread.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to treos For This Useful Post: