Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn SSF

Thanks

Red face Sega Saturn SSF

okay, apparently I am a noob. i can't figure out how to get this thing running for the life of me. can anyone give me a step by step setup please? I have searched through pages of this stuff, and can't find anyone else that had problems. I downloaded the bios file from here, along with SSF_011_alpha_R5 from your emu section. I have daemon tools installed. my computer can handle it easily enough, I run dragon age at max for crying out loud. but i can't figure this dang thing out. please help

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The latest version is v012. I haven't used SSF in a long while so I'm not too sure what got fixed or updated in the latest revision.

Did you set the BIOS path, and choose the virtual CD drive?
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 30th-June-2011 at 03:48.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Supreme Warrior Guest

its been awhile for me as well, once you start SSF for the first time you need to go to the options and set the bios then restart, then after like 2 seconds it will start up, pretty straightforward after that, just mount your disc image and set SSF to that Drive letter.

Thanks

i set the bios, but not the ST-V bios... don't know what that is. it is telling me my drive is empty.... i think i made the cd drive my virtual drive. it (the iso for the game) is mounted in daemon tools?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you have the correct drive setup it would atleast give you the CD player (Music Player) or say this disc is not made for this system

If you get the later message you just need to set the correct region in the emu and restart it

The ST-V does not realy need to be set but it can't do any harm in getting that bios file and setting it up in the emu aswell

Some games do run better in older versions aswell though, Ver0.09 beta R4 seems to be the best version for alot of games Find that here

For more info for individual games go here then go to the JAP page, USA page or PAL page
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-September-2011 at 18:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Alright, i finally seem to have got it running. however, all my isos are freezing daemon tools when i try to load them. any idea why that is happening? When i try to mount them, daemon tools just stops working

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For the Shining Force 3 translations they recomend version 4123-lite for emulation, I have not had issues with the latest version myself

Actually they have a reasonably good emu guide so I will link it

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/emulation/

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I don't wanna create another topic so i will leave my question here .

Does SSF suport MagicIso ? because i already tried everything and it keep telling me that it does not support this Disc ...

Thanks in advance

Supreme Warrior Guest

is the region set correctly in the options?

you must do that for each game.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

adding to Supreme Warrior the bios has very little to do with the region setup, and can only be changed in the emulator settings

i.e. the bios you have will work with every region game as long as the region is setup correctly
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-August-2011 at 18:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Supreme Warrior Guest

also some games require a bios, SSF gives you the option to not use one but its best you do.

Thanks
    EP Points

as to the magic iso I have tried that as well I have also tried virtual sheep as well as some other lesser known virtual drives and for ssf the only two I've found that work are daemon and alcohol 120.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Daemon Tools-lite is free and works great and tends to be the recomended virtual drive for so many things/emulators.

Alcohol 120% is pay for software that although works just fine isn't worth buying as there are free ways of doing everything Alcohol 120% can do.

Magic ISO I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (Falls short on a couple of things) the reason not many of us would know if it works with whatever is because alot of us avoid it

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Supreme Warrior Guest

I agree 100% with your Statement Zorlon, Deamon tools lite is the best choice.

Thanks

I remember I had to do a lot of different things to get this emulator working properly.

One quirk I remember is you have to have the Bios named Saturn_bios.bin, or it simply won't work. You can download any bios you want for it, but you just have to rename it. I also had trouble getting it to see the memory card/ram. You just have to go into options and make sure you have backup ram cartridge selected under "cartridge" menu, there is a 1MB and 4MB ram cart listed don't use those. And also you have to format the ram cartridge in the Bios before you can save anything on it.

Also in options it will have CD drive listed, make sure you have your virtual drive selected if you are going to use Daemon tools, or it won't work. Its pretty easy to tell which one is your virtual drive, one should say DVD RW, or etc, and the other won't have anything in it that says DVD and this one will be your virtual drive.

I don't think the area code in options is important, I had mine set on USA, and it would still load Japanese games.

Check the site here for a Saturn Bios file if you need one. If you get a Bios with a different language there is a way to change the language of the bios in the options somewhere.

Oh and you don't need the STV bios, I don't have one on mine.

If you do all this then you should get it working no problem.

Save states don't work as far as I know, but I have an older SSF version and they might work on one of the newer versions.

I ran into some problems with a few games I downloaded that had bad .que files, and I had to use a .cue maker to make a new .cue file for the games before they would load up. And occasionally some would quit loading up all the sudden, and I would have to remake the .que file again. Not exactly sure what is causing this, but if anyone has trouble getting a game to load on SSF, try making a new .que file, it worked for me. This happened a few times with Shining Force 3 scenarios.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 8th-August-2011 at 05:30.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to crimsonedge For This Useful Post: