12 25.53%
  • hate it

13 27.66%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys like the new chat

Thanks
    EP Points

Default How do you guys like the new chat

I guess most of you know by now the chat was my idea so I created a thread where you can thank me for my wonderful suggestion or take out your frustrations don't worry I will not take it personally as I know some of the older members will need time to adjust to the change people in general resist change so go ahead tell me what you think.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Maybe you should've added a poll (unless you're in the process of doing so)

Honestly, I dislike it (mainly because it keeps randomly reopening itself when I turn it off, though it seems to have stopped doing that (finally!). Kind of wish I could permanently get rid of the small square, though I could probably get used to it if it sticks around/if enough like it/find it beneficial.). I also see it as something that will last for a few months and end up abandoned by all but the newest members (Isn't that what always happened to attempts to revive the EP IRC? May last longer due to being integrated, but yeah, I can't really see it as something that will last.)

Don't get me wrong, I see why some may like it/I do see some good in it, but yeah, it's of no use to me at all. If I want to chat with a group, I post in the Hangout (or perhaps Retro or something). If I want to chat privately with somebody, I send a PM.

edit: And I dunno, it still seems to me that making threads is the best way to get help (at least with things like ePSXe). Otherwise I see a lot of situations where somebody comes in, posts settings, tries an idea, then has a problem later and has to post all over again, quite possibly trying all the same solutions over again, where in a thread, the settings are already there and as such the issue could be determined more quickly. Maybe that's just me though (If that even made sense.. If not I'll try to reword later. 2:40 AM now...)

edit 2: What do you know, it opened itself again not long after making this post...
    Last edited by Tanthias; 16th-June-2011 at 08:36.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's bad and you should feel bad, because now I have an icon that I cannot get rid of. If people want a chat, then they should use IRC.

Thanks
    EP Points

SOR just has a chatbox at the top of the main page: it doesn't interfere with your browsing and you don't have to look at it if you don't want to. I think this FB style chat is a good start but that a chatbox is probably better and less invasive overall.

Thanks
    EP Points

Like I said in the Retro section, I don't mind it too much. It's barely noticeable when I turn it off (though I kinda wish we could get rid of the small sqaure completely), so it's not a huge deal to me. But I'm also not going to use it too much, most likely. I've seen a couple of people asking for help in the chat, so I suppose it can be useful at times. But I think most regulars -including myself- will stick to PMs, the Hangout or even visitor messages. Like Tan said, if I want to chat, I just go to the HO or the Retro section, where I don't get drowned out by 20+ other people asking for da romz.

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

I would like it just fine if it only showed people in my friends list, instead of every single person online. As it is I cant be arsed searching, so its turned off.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's something that I might get used to over time, but for now, I leave it turned off. I do however see the benefit for newer members trying to get used to the site and the layout of the forums. I guess it is also another form of the hangout forums.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

I don't like it. I think a chatbox that can be collapsed is a better idea.

Also, adblock works on the button.

Thanks

I like it. It may be a tad annoying to have there 24/7, but it still serves its purpose well.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the button, though, since I always have Adblock on. I guess that's a good thing, though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Don't like it,but i suppose i'll get used to it.
    The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is...
    Spoiler warning:
    Spoiler warning:
    Well,what did you expect ?

Thanks
    EP Points

I, dislike it as well.

No need for a chatbox if you're using a forum, well, that just my opinion.
    Sadly, I'll have to get used to it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I personally don't mind it. I wouldn't say it's my favourite spot to go, but it provides something to do when the forums are dead and I just feel like chatting.
    And I've had mine shut off for the last day and a half or so, and it hasn't jumped back on for me. So not sure what's going no with yours, Tanthias.

Thanks
    EP Points

love it
    1 6.25%

like it
    6 37.50%

undecided
    3 18.75%

dislike it
    5 31.25%

hate it
    1 6.25%

the results so far hmm i've not had a problem with mine jumping backup either I turn mine off when the trolls get annoying then back on in like 2 hours or so

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Out of curiosity, what would you (and any who are voting like or love, or anybody else, if they can think of any that aren't said) say are the pros of this? Asking because I decided to compile a pro-con list, and there are many more cons than pros on what I have so far.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quick communications, efficient QA for simpler questions that may not merit an entire thread, an easy place to compartmentalize meaningless and stream-of-consciousness discussions (akin to the Hangout and other local variations therein), and so forth. I don't use it myself, but that's because I simply don't use chat systems.