Thread: How To Create An Invisible Folder

Threaded View

Thanks
    EP Points

Arrow How To Create An Invisible Folder

As the title states this is how to make an invisible, not hidden, folder within Windows, this works for all versions as far as im aware so lets get started,

NOTE TO VISTA USERS: There is a bug within Vista that doesnt allow you to delete the folder once you've made it, to get rid of the folder you MUST add it to either a zip or a RAR folder and then delete it

First off what you need to do is actually create a folder, for thoes of you who do not know how to do this, right click on your desktop, highlight new and click folder rename your folder to anything you like for the moment.

SS 1.jpg

Your screen now should look something like mine,

SS5.jpg
    Now what you want to do is put all the files and folders you wish to hide into this folder as these next steps will make your folder invisible.

To make the name invisible you want to put a space in, but you may of noticed that you cannot just enter a " " so what we will do is use the symbol for space, to do this we must type in the following, you must hold the Alt key and push 0160 then let go of alt, once you have let go left click back onto your desktop and as you can see your folder name is blank, now to make the folder icon disapear we need to right click the folder and select properties.

once the box below has opened up select the customise tab and at the bottom select change icon.

SS2.jpg
    when a further box pops up scroll right untill you see the image thats highlighted in the screen shot below
    SS3.jpg
    click it and push ok, then click apply on the previous box and boom, you should now have an empty space where your folder was,

if the icon is still visible push F5 on your desktop and it should disappear, now remember where you put that folder personally i leave my folder in the middle on the right hand side of my screen because its rare that people click there, now in the unfortunate event that you forget where you left that folder push Ctrl+A on your desktop and it will highlight all the files and folders on your desktop, including your invisible one.
    And thats how you create an invisible folder using Windows

NOTE:
    This isnt limited to just your desktop you can use it anywhere on your computer just follow the same steps as above and it will work fine

EDIT: there seems to be a few people who are saying that this is flawed since if you click and drag a box over the area you can find it, im not claiming this is the perfect way to hide or secure your files and folders its just a little trick that you can do within windows and its as i said in the title its invisible not hidden
    Last edited by Bennieboi20; 18th-June-2011 at 21:36.
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bennieboi20 For This Useful Post: