Thread: Gare plays The Witcher 2 - Combat basics and fluffy kittens*

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Gare plays The Witcher 2 - Combat basics and fluffy kittens*

Okay, so I lied about the kittens. There will be none. Sorry!

In any case, in an effort to help some beginners struggling with The Wticher 2's combat system, I recorded myself playing through one of the earliest battles in the game, giving some general tips while explaining the very basics.

It's not a full LP -not yet, anyway-, nor was it made specifically for EP, but I figured I might as well post it here. Since, you know, I usually post all my vids here, and old habits die hard.

I'm planning to do another playthrough of the game, and even though I most likely won't record all of it, I might turn Fraps on occasionally during some of the tougher bossfights, just for educational purposes. Or maybe for the sake of a cool cutscene. I don't know. We'll see!

Thanks
    EP Points

Funny, I was going to start lobbying for a Witcher LP when I saw Fer's post in the Gaming Discussion about a 360 port.

When the first game came out my boyfriend and I toyed with the idea of picking it up (back when we had a computer that could actually run demanding programs) but for some reason decided against it. Reading the Wiki page for the sequel mentioned how it was advertised in Poland using their version of Playboy magazine, which kind of puts me off again as I had been put off from the first (silly reason or not, and not that I could play it even if I did want to pick it up).

Even so, that short GG discussion between you and Fer, in combination with the few bits and pieces I've read of your most recent blog entries, has gotten me interested again, so this little video, whether or not it's a full project, is a perhaps a bit more exciting to see than it should be.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    Reading the Wiki page for the sequel mentioned how it was advertised in Poland using their version of Playboy magazine, which kind of puts me off again as I had been put off from the first (silly reason or not, and not that I could play it even if I did want to pick it up).
    It doesn't bother me too much, but I probably wouldn't be saying the same if it was a naked picture of Geralt instead of Triss. So yeah, I see your point.

Still, if anything should make you shake your head in disbelief, it's trailers like this. And we all know that despite the juvenile marketing, the game turned out to be pretty good and nothing like what you'd expect after an ad like that.

The first Witcher is among the games that I am/was planning to LP, by the way. But it's an insanely long game, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it.
    Last edited by Gare; 5th-June-2011 at 10:08.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    It doesn't bother me too much, but I probably wouldn't be saying the same if it was a naked picture of Geralt instead of Triss. So yeah, I see your point.

Still, if anything should make you shake your head in disbelief, it's trailers like this. And we all know that despite the juvenile marketing, the game turned out to be pretty good and nothing like what you'd expect after an ad like that.

The first Witcher is among the games that I am/was planning to LP, by the way. But it's an insanely long game, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it.
    I'm sure the game is wonderful, and any strange first impressions would be dispelled if I sat down to play it. I don't mean to say that such advertisement bothers me particularly, it's just that things like Wikipedia are often my starting point for learning about new games, and such things can easily give a vague impression that whatever game in question just isn't for me. Of course, if I'm really interested in learning more about a game, I'll read more than just the Wiki page, but in this case I'll pretty much never play it ever, so I might as well save my time for titles that are actually available to me.

And I'm glad I didn't do too much research on DA:O before hand, or I might not have bought it.

It would be an interesting project to watch, but I wouldn't really wish an extremely long project on anyone, considering how much work they are. Except maybe Ivolt. But then we all know it'd never get finished. There's probably one floating about on the internet somewhere, but I never enjoyed LPs until I actually had a chance to get to know some of the people creating them. Outside of EP, LP commentary tends to annoy and/or bore me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    And I'm glad I didn't do too much research on DA:O before hand, or I might not have bought it.
    You're just not ready for the new shit.

In any case, more footage, from three separate parts of the game. Like the first video, these are intended to help beginners, so I picked the parts of the game that people tend to have lots of difficulty with. Especially that segment with the dragon.

Thanks
    EP Points

I wanted fluffy kittens
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I wanted fluffy kittens
    Spoiler warning:
    Well you aren't getting any. Now piss off.

Also, I feel this sudden urge to post my favourite track from the OST. Because I can. MY THREAD, MY RULES.

Last edited by Gare; 6th-June-2011 at 11:56.