Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [GUIDE] Make a Reprogrammable Genesis Cart

Thanks

Yes the eprom middle cut is oriented left like in the picture.
    Is there any application for making it region free?
    my willem had some cd 4049 burned out but it looks ok since i had burned amiga kickroms since then,i will try to read and write one of the megadrive eprom´s i had on a chip that i burned since then...

i have found this info on another forum that could do the trick

Link:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...om-pal-to-ntsc

i will try to see if the of set values on my roms are according to that.

Sory just now i look the hidden Pics DOHHHH!!!

I wil try both methods and thank you very much for your helP.
    One other question 27c800 is 27c400 compatible right?

Regards

JOSÉ

Well ,i got some news.

my willem was burning ,but from about 4 roms i get one burned right.
    My bios from my dual core pc was always by default ecc on the parallel printer mode,i changed to normal ,and did the same.
    now i am going to try epp and disabling automatic plug n play devices and atribute the right irq.
    So it´s a long jouney,although the right burned rom ,i read with willem and swap byted and run ok under the fusion kega emulator.
    i am going to try with the ones that doesn´t boot on the megadrive :/

i am using 0.97ja version ,i could try 0,97g but on winxp is impossible due to the iodriverlynx error :/

So i got burn right 3 times a 27c400-105 and never the 27c400-120 one,so i guess or the eprom is f..ed up,or is something with the twc and twp.
    By the way wich is the biggest eprom i could use on genesis cart ,i mean with the biggest size for storing

Regards

JOSÉ
    Last edited by deadlegion; 12th-November-2014 at 23:34. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ramparts View Post
    Yes the eprom middle cut is oriented left like in the picture.
    Is there any application for making it region free?
    my willem had some cd 4049 burned out but it looks ok since i had burned amiga kickroms since then,i will try to read and write one of the megadrive eprom´s i had on a chip that i burned since then...

i have found this info on another forum that could do the trick

Link:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...om-pal-to-ntsc

i will try to see if the of set values on my roms are according to that.

Sory just now i look the hidden Pics DOHHHH!!!

I wil try both methods and thank you very much for your helP.
    One other question 27c800 is 27c400 compatible right?

Regards

JOSÉ

Well ,i got some news.

my willem was burning ,but from about 4 roms i get one burned right.
    My bios from my dual core pc was always by default ecc on the parallel printer mode,i changed to normal ,and did the same.
    now i am going to try epp and disabling automatic plug n play devices and atribute the right irq.
    So it´s a long jouney,although the right burned rom ,i read with willem and swap byted and run ok under the fusion kega emulator.
    i am going to try with the ones that doesn´t boot on the megadrive :/

i am using 0.97ja version ,i could try 0,97g but on winxp is impossible due to the iodriverlynx error :/

So i got burn right 3 times a 27c400-105 and never the 27c400-120 one,so i guess or the eprom is f..ed up,or is something with the twc and twp.
    By the way wich is the biggest eprom i could use on genesis cart ,i mean with the biggest size for storing

Regards

JOSÉ
    The problem may be the Willem and not the ROMs. You do have a UV eraser, don't you?

The biggest Chip you can find is a s27c322.

Thanks

hi

yes i got a uv eraser uv box

i am suspecting of the chip but could be any issue at this time :/

regards

Thanks

Well i found that was a bad 27c400 ,that was my problem.
    I got some 27c322 and make about 6 repro carts,but i got some issues on some of them, first was sonic3 but i found on the net that could be the game that has bugs, on another was a compilation of 10-in-1 tha game has some glitch´s when the music screen and some time crashes.
    Could it be the 27c322-100 ?
    One other thing i noticed is that my carts have 2.2k ohm resistor while pic on the net the carts have a ceramic capacitor on that place,could this be the problem on slow eproms?
    And what is the default value of those capacitors,since i cannot find it on the net ?

Best regards
    JOSÉ

Thanks

Hey Jazzmarazz excellent tutorial!! I have a question about the multi-cart tutorial (bank switching). Is the tutorial going to be completed? I am interested in making a Phantasy Star II Text Adventures multi-cart (all episodes on one cart) using the reset option to change games. Any pointers on how to achieve this? Thank you in advance.

Edit: Almost forgot. Don't know if this question has been answered. If I have a 27c160 (2MB) eprom and I am using a 512KB or 1MB rom file, can I just fill up the rest of the eprom by doubling the file, and if so how would I go about doing that?

InsertCoin25
    Last edited by InsertCoin25; 9th-January-2015 at 18:59.

Thanks

Hi Jazzmarazz, very nice tut! Sega is so easy compared to NES :)
    I've got a strange side note. I was messing with a 16b .bin in the Williem PCB 5.0C software, 0.98D8, while waiting on a 42 pin adaptor. This bin has only about 5k of actual code and the rest is padded/blank with 0xFF; Win XP reports the file size as 128K. So I did a swapBYTE on the buffer and saved the altered buffer. Now XP reports the new file as 2,048K.
    Using HxD, the byte order looks correct in the swapBYTE file (reversed like it should be). It appears The Williem soft pads the file size to the selected device size (27C160); which is good just wasn't expecting it.
    Anyway, I'll report back after the 42p adaptor arrives. Half the cost but it's a little less capable then the bigger 16b EPROM adaptor. It will handle 27C400- 27C322 EPROMs which is fine for me, ATM. Seems like the Sega mask ROM are mostly this pinout for 40 and 42 pin devices? Just hope the Williem plays nice with it.
    Yogi
    Last edited by yogi2015; 3rd-February-2015 at 19:06.

Thanks

The issues i had with willem was that i was running a brasilian compilation on a pal megadrive or genesis,in fact when i made the region mod and changed to NTSC the simptoms dissapeared

i advise to use a mcumall 16bit adapter,since ebay chinese that o bought recente (not 16 bit) didn´t work at all or had read or write issues.

Luck to your project
    Last edited by ramparts; 3rd-February-2015 at 19:19.

Thanks

The issues i had with willem was that i was running a brasilian compilation on a pal megadrive or genesis,in fact when i made the region mod and changed to NTSC the simptoms dissapeared

i advise to use a mcumall 16bit adapter,since ebay chinese that o bought recente (not 16 bit) didn´t work at all or had read or write issues.

Luck to your project
    Yes good advice but I had already bought the cheap one so I give it a try anyway. It's advertised to support 27c400-27c322s on the 42 pin socket. The Williem has performed well for me with the 8b EPROM and Flash chips I've tried so far, got my fingers cross.
    Good to hear your issues are resolved
    Yogi

Thanks

Hi Yogi

One thing i can say also is that i have 2 more universal Programmers and the new ones are Digital programming devices.
    If you are trying to read a clone chip type it won´t read, even if you know that is a 27cxxx chip disguised.
    If the new programmer don´t have the manufacturer id on it´s database ,the programmer refuse to read and write,that don´t occur with the good old chap willem

Mine is a 4.5C version and only left me down due to my ignorance,fortunatly i repaired it myself, and it´s like new,i got excited and replaced some components like the zif socket and programming pins after 5 years of use ,now is new.
    flash carts is also one of my investigations but work don´t left me no room for my hobby

Best REgards

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well i found that was a bad 27c400 ,that was my problem.
    I got some 27c322 and make about 6 repro carts,but i got some issues on some of them, first was sonic3 but i found on the net that could be the game that has bugs, on another was a compilation of 10-in-1 tha game has some glitch´s when the music screen and some time crashes.
    Could it be the 27c322-100 ?
    One other thing i noticed is that my carts have 2.2k ohm resistor while pic on the net the carts have a ceramic capacitor on that place,could this be the problem on slow eproms?
    And what is the default value of those capacitors,since i cannot find it on the net ?

Best regards
    JOSÉ
    I suspect that the resistors are actually capacitors in disguise. Some older and cheaper capacitors came in a package similar to a resistor so they didn't have to design different footprints for the boards. They probably have five stripes instead of four, right? Some inductors also looked like that. Looking at a few of my boards, Sega often used ceramic disc capacitors while acclaim used both resistor-looking caps AND yellow tantalum caps. I wouldn't worry about those.

Quote Originally Posted by InsertCoin25 View Post
    Hey Jazzmarazz excellent tutorial!! I have a question about the multi-cart tutorial (bank switching). Is the tutorial going to be completed? I am interested in making a Phantasy Star II Text Adventures multi-cart (all episodes on one cart) using the reset option to change games. Any pointers on how to achieve this? Thank you in advance.

Edit: Almost forgot. Don't know if this question has been answered. If I have a 27c160 (2MB) eprom and I am using a 512KB or 1MB rom file, can I just fill up the rest of the eprom by doubling the file, and if so how would I go about doing that?

InsertCoin25
    The schematic is finished, so you can actually make a board with that if you wanted to. At some point, I may redesign it in Eagle and produce a board for it.

The thing with the Genesis/MegaDrive is that it doesn't care if you leave the rest empty. The consoles do not check the CRC code. If you intend to leave any Address pins hanging though, then you will have to repeat the ROM data. I suggest you connect any unused address pins to ground. - best practice

Quote Originally Posted by yogi2015 View Post
    Hi Jazzmarazz, very nice tut! Sega is so easy compared to NES
    I've got a strange side note. I was messing with a 16b .bin in the Williem PCB 5.0C software, 0.98D8, while waiting on a 42 pin adaptor. This bin has only about 5k of actual code and the rest is padded/blank with 0xFF; Win XP reports the file size as 128K. So I did a swapBYTE on the buffer and saved the altered buffer. Now XP reports the new file as 2,048K.
    Using H, the byte order looks correct in the swapBYTE file (reversed like it should be). It appears The Williem soft pads the file size to the selected device size (27C160); which is good just wasn't expecting it.
    Anyway, I'll report back after the 42p adaptor arrives. Half the cost but it's a little less capable then the bigger 16b EPROM adaptor. It will handle 27C400- 27C322 EPROMs which is fine for me, ATM. Seems like the Sega mask ROM are mostly this pinout for 40 and 42 pin devices? Just hope the Williem plays nice with it.
    Yogi
    The program probably saved the empty space because you had selected a 2048K eeprom in the drop down. The FF's at the end of code do not matter since an empty eeprom already has FF's in every location. Eeproms change 1's to 0's when programming, but cannot go the other way. If you want to cut off the FF's at the end, you can do so in HxC but it won't really make a difference unless you try to program that 2048 code to a 1024 or 512 eeprom.
    Personally I keep all of my ROM files unswapped and just swap them when I am programming a new eeprom. I never save anything in Willem's Buffer unless I am reading a chip.

Yes, the eeproms are almost pin-for-pin compatible. The only differences are listed in the diagram in the first post. The difference will only affect your work if you are using a larger eeprom on a board supporting a smaller memory space.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    The program probably saved the empty space because you had selected a 2048K eeprom in the drop down. The FF's at the end of code do not matter since an empty eeprom already has FF's in every location. Eeproms change 1's to 0's when programming, but cannot go the other way. If you want to cut off the FF's at the end, you can do so in HxC but it won't really make a difference unless you try to program that 2048 code to a 1024 or 512 eeprom.
    Personally I keep all of my ROM files unswapped and just swap them when I am programming a new eeprom. I never save anything in Willem's Buffer unless I am reading a chip.

Yes, the eeproms are almost pin-for-pin compatible. The only differences are listed in the diagram in the first post. The difference will only affect your work if you are using a larger eeprom on a board supporting a smaller memory space.
    Thanks, I had never 'saved' a buffer before so was just confused for a bit X)
    I was preparing a bin to try out a burning service from where I ordered some 16b EPROMs. An extra 50 cents when you buy an EPROM, thought it might be useful for people without burning HW if they really want to make a cart.
    Thanks again, this thread was really helpful for me. Too many 'bad' habits from doing NES carts
    Yogi

Thanks

Hello I have a little problem
    Im trying to do the repro of Story of thor and Soleil, i make everything like in the tutorial but doesnt work, i Sweap Byte, later i solder A20 to #5 of 74H00 and A19 to B8 cose the donnor is 1MB, but doesnt work

Please i need help

Thanks

I picked up a Wellon VP-390 and I don't know what's going on. I check the chip (say a M27C800) and it blank checks fine. I select a 1MB File but I cannot find the Byte Swap option or what I need to do. I can go into 'Buffer Editor' so I can see the Hex but then what?

Any ideas would be great!

Also if I just select the chip then the file & start it just errors & I have to erase the chip again.

Thanks

Hi gang. Long time fan of the site, new to the forums. Thanks for this tutorial!

I have one question while I am waiting on my 42 pin sockets and ICs to arrive:

If I made a 1MB, 2x512KB bank switching cart with a socket, am I correct in the assumption that I can I still run full 1MB sized games in this cart as long as the switch is set to boot from the beginning of the rom?

I have made some nes carts, new to the gen/md. I am trying my best to learn more about the actual theory behind how/why all this works beyond just following the directions.

THANK YOU!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What kind of switch? It will have to be a logic switch controlled by the system itself. You make it would like you want to add a physical throw-switch. That will jot work beucase a game could potentially access data on either ROM chip a million times a second!

What board are you using?