Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [GUIDE] Make a Reprogrammable Genesis Cart

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gamemaster76 View Post
    its world series baseball 98, im thinking either megaman the wily wars or crusader of centy
    Ok, WSB98 is a 3MByte game while Mega Man and Centry are 2MByte games. That being said, I think you will only need one eprom. You should start by removing the two ROM chips and figuring out which one is the first half of the game ROM. It will probably be the bottom ROM chip though.

Do this by locating the Chip enable (/CE) pin of each ROM and tracing it back to where it goes. These pins should connect to one of the small chips on the back side. probably a 74ls138 or 74ls139. Let me know what you find.

Thanks

the game works, its the bottom one but its not saving, could it be that the top one was the one that connected to the battery? or is it just dead? which pin would i have to wire to the battery to get it to work?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You burned mega man? Did you use the sram modded version?

Thanks

its crusder of centy

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

OK. I think the sram is mapped at the location after the 3MBytes, so you need to connect the enable pin for the upper rom to the sram so it is mapped at the 2MB position. Im Not on my PC or near a circuit board to check, but you should be able to find pinouts for each very easily.

Find the /CE pin for the sram chip and for the 27c160.

Thanks

when you say the upper roms enable chip to sram do you mean to the battery's pin? and why the upper rom and not the lower one that actually has the chip?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I am referring to the logical locations for each addressable portion of memory and not the physical locations. No two chips can be enabled at any one time, so there are three enable pins which are decoded from the full addressable "memory map".

The centy software expects every single bit of the sram to be in an exact logical location, but that location is decoded with hardware to be where the second rom chip is. That being said, you need the enable pin for the second rom, instead, to enable sram.

Thanks

so wire the enable pin where the second rom used to be to the battery?

Thanks
    EP Points

Just wanted to point out and I can't remember which game it is but PCB P/N 670127 REV 1 does not work for reproductions. I have tried 3 different chips and multiple games on 2 different boards. I use a 400, 800, and a 160. None work.

I may at some point try and figure out why but I do not have the time for that right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Advanced Tutorials
    *Not yet a tutorial*
    *more to come*

Bank switching for multiple games on one cart:
    Spoiler warning:

Four banks (ROMs) using 74ls73 IC:
    (further testing may require CLR pins to not be floating)
    Attachment 35565 - EDIT: This looks wrong. I think a few pins are in the wrong place on this IC. I have to check the data sheet...
    Four banks (ROMs) using two switches:
    Attachment 35566
    Two banks using one switch:
    Attachment 35567
    Four banks (ROMs) using 74ls93 IC:
    Attachment 35568

For each Address pin wired to a toggle (either physical or digital) add one to X where 2^X equals the number of available banks.
    You will of course have to modify the single ROM file containing all of your ROMs via a hex editor prior to burning the EPROM. This can be easily done, all it requires is a little bit of math on your end.

In the example of the first picture, we have four banks of 1MB each because the 27c322 is a 4MB EPROM and has been split 4 ways. Cut or extend each ROM file to exactly 1MegaByte (1,048,576 bytes) or ($000fffff Hexadecimal). To extend your ROM file, simply add f's at the end until you hit "$000fffff" in your hex editor. One you have extended all four ROM files, copy and paste them onto the end of the main ROM file. in our case, the ROMs must start at $00000000, $00100000, $00200000, and $00300000.
    Attachment 35569

can a M27c160 be splitted in two 1MB banks? do you just wire the switch with the eprom fully installed or do you need to bend any pin? also, I merged two 1MB games into a single 2MB rom file. Do I have to do a checksum fix?
    Last edited by srmoska; 18th-April-2016 at 05:44. Reason: another question reagrding the same topic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Looking back on my tutorial, that may be the problem. My statement is ambiguous as to whether the eeprom connects to pin 5 of the logic or if the cart edge connects to the logic.
    Pin 5 of the 74xx00 is an input, not an output. So what we are doing here is connecting two inputs together - nothing happens.

The 74xx00 is being used as a simple logic-based memory mapper comprised of only NAND gates (not and). The locations within the memory map for each IC can be determined with some logic equations. For example (not literally, but probably close):

IC_ROM = ~(CE*A20)
    IC_RAM = ~CE*A20

So (still not being literal) when CE is low and A20 is low, ROM is enabled. When CE is low and A20 is high, RAM is enabled (ROM is disabled). That being said, we should be using A21 and not A20 if you want 2MBytes of ROM. A20 on the cart edge is actually A21 and 2^21 equals 2Mbytes which is split in half for each IC. The first 1Mbyte is allocated to ROM and the second 1MByte is allocated to RAM. I realize this is a bit much and difficult to explain.

What I mean to say is that I should edit my tutorial and be more clear. no one has questioned it before, so I guess it stayed incorrect for a long time. hehe

So.....

To clear everything up, first, what game are you trying to burn? How big is it? Does it only fill half of the 27c322? If the game is only 1Mbyte, we can connect pin A20 of your eeprom to ground and solve the issue. I think.

If your game is actually 2Mbytes, we will have to work a little harder.
    Hi,

First thanks for the awesome tutorial.

Do you have any news on this problem? I tryed to make an Shining Force 2 with this board, wired the A20 of the 27c322 to the pin 5 of the 74HC but it not worked.
    I lifted the pin, and solded directly to the pin 5 with a wire.

Another question, im trying to translate an Shining force 1 from japanese to portuguese, with the original PCB, it have 2 ROMS, I desolded both and solded an 27c160 with the full game (1.5mb) on the botton slot, and it not works.

I made various no save games with success, but the saving ones are giving me headaches.

Best Regards,

Rodrigo
    P.S.: Sorry for my bad english

Thanks
    EP Points

Welcome to my world. I have not got a dual rom donor to work yet. I tried using just bottom rom and I was using a 27c160 chip and nothing. Now I am trying to split a rom Panorama cotton. I split it 2048KB on a 160 and 512KB onto a 400 but same results. Produced by Sega screen, sega logo, then black screen.

I don't get what these 74 chips are doing but these boards do not work. I'm about to rip the chip out and compare the board exactly as a plain simple board would be and see what differences there are and maybe rewire it. It's almost a waste of time but I want to do it lol.

Thanks

Anybody had experience making a mega man wily wars patched rom work on a SRAM cart? I used madden 96 and NBA showdown 94 but it didn't work on neither. I defeat cutman, save then press the reset button and it didn't save anything. I tried the rom in kfusion and it does save

EDIT: I was using a game genie and it seems that was the problem
    Last edited by srmoska; 12th-May-2016 at 19:04.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok so I grabbed a "normal" board and did some pin traces and found out what the problem is. On my Cotton game pins 10(rom 2) and 11(rom1) or "E" was not right. On rom 1 pin 11 went to pin 8 on the hd74hcoop on rom 2 pin 10 went to pin 11 on the hd74hcoop. On a normal board "E" needs to go to b17.

B17 goes to pins 4 and 5 of hd74hcoop. Not sure if I needed to or not but I removed the hd74hcoop while I was playing around. I simply jumpered holes 4 and 11 and holes 5 and 8 on the empty hd74hcoop spot.

I hope I wrote that right lol. Basically all you need to know is that B17 on the cart needs wired to (E) on your rom(s).

Well as pointless as it seems to edit a post over 2 months later, hopefully someone looks?

On Page 10 post 143 and so on, Wal666 uses a board to make a PS4, anyone know if that board is compatible with MegaMan Wily Wars? The game plays but save does not work?
    Last edited by icemanxp300; 22nd-July-2016 at 00:58. Reason: Can't double post!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thread opened by request.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanxp300 View Post
    Ok so I grabbed a "normal" board and did some pin traces and found out what the problem is. On my Cotton game pins 10(rom 2) and 11(rom1) or "E" was not right. On rom 1 pin 11 went to pin 8 on the hd74hcoop on rom 2 pin 10 went to pin 11 on the hd74hcoop. On a normal board "E" needs to go to b17.

B17 goes to pins 4 and 5 of hd74hcoop. Not sure if I needed to or not but I removed the hd74hcoop while I was playing around. I simply jumpered holes 4 and 11 and holes 5 and 8 on the empty hd74hcoop spot.

I hope I wrote that right lol. Basically all you need to know is that B17 on the cart needs wired to (E) on your rom(s).

Well as pointless as it seems to edit a post over 2 months later, hopefully someone looks?

On Page 10 post 143 and so on, Wal666 uses a board to make a PS4, anyone know if that board is compatible with MegaMan Wily Wars? The game plays but save does not work?
    Sorry I never responded. I must have missed your post. The double posting rule pertains to short periods of time between posts. If no one seems to respond within a week or two, feel free to double post. Also feel free to PM me directly. I like to keep all discussions in this thread for others to find, but I may not see every post even if I would like to.

Really glad you got your Cotton cart working on your own, you must have learned a bit from that experience.

As for PS4, it sounds like you are using two different "types" of saving-boards. PS4 uses a large SRAM chip while the original Wily Wars uses a small EEPROM to save. These are not compatible with each other however, There is a patch for the Wily Wars ROM that changes it to use SRAM instead. This makes it compatible with SRAM type boards.