Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yo, anyone know any good sites for tips/tutorials on soldering?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 124 Posts
    EP Points

Default Yo, anyone know any good sites for tips/tutorials on soldering?

Of coarse, by "soldering" I mean for game consoles (this is a gaming forum after all, duh ). I've already looked through some really interesting guides/tuts on..

http://www.eurasia.nu/index.php

http://sksapps.com/

...To name a few thanks to: 's search engine lol , anyone know of any other good/better sites to reccomend by any chance I'm not into modding to this extent yet (I'm only running "exploits" on PS2 and NGC so far , so yes I'm a newb) as far as consoles go, but I have enough competence to hack my old PSP to say the least (completely diff concept, I know) .

I'm just wondering cause I'm thinking about trying to "JTAG" my 360, but I don't have much exp on soldering to be honest, and there's alot of "know how" involved depending on your disc drive, firmware, etc. so they say.. (cause Microsoft consoles aren't exactly hacker friendly, obviously ). Of course, I'm no fool so I'm not going to up and do this randomly and ruin/brick my system , but I've already got a good idea which tools to use and have some good vids/documents cited as sources so far.

So if you've soldered any console(s) to this extent and have some advice or know of any good sites w/ tutorials on the JTAG mod (or soldering consoles in general) plz let me know.
    My inbox IS NOT A REQUEST BOX , if you want to make requests maybe do it here? Someone w/ working links might help you there (I don't do requests obviously, however, feel free to let me know if a DLC file doesn't work* and needs an update ) *ex:"container error"

How to use DLC files? Use Jdownloader
    Still looking for PS2 undubs by any chance? Try searching "PS2 undub project 2.6" @ google, it's hard to miss and you can maybe find most of em in a single search/post .

Thanks

funny thing is i was just wanting to learn to solder too, to change the LED in my gamecube to a different colour or something.. my step dad said he'd show me how but he hasn't yet.. but this is what i've been reading past few days:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-solder/

theres also lots of guides on that site with consoles. in fact thats where the gamecube LED thing i mentioned was.

Good Luck.
    Persona is so beast...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethegreat12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethegreat12 View Post
    funny thing is i was just wanting to learn to solder too, to change the LED in my gamecube to a different colour or something.. my step dad said he'd show me how but he hasn't yet.. but this is what i've been reading past few days:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-solder/

theres also lots of guides on that site with consoles. in fact thats where the gamecube LED thing i mentioned was.

Good Luck.
    Nice, good for soldering in general, but I still need to look @ some specifics for 360 modding. I mean, I know how to take the drive out/connect to PC, build images w/ xbox backup creator (other stuff for that), etc.

However, flashing the drive and flashing the hacked firmware after connecting to the motherboard via SATA is where I get lost (Gave up on soldering, I'm looking up the Xecuter mod for 360 ).

Gamecube is a simple mod though, soldering isn't really needed, you can boot SDLOAD on your NGC w/ older versions of AR (like v1.08) that let you type in codes (the new versions don't , complete rip... ).

I got an SD gecko (it's a better SD adapter than Datel's ) for my SD Media Launcher disc to boot the .dol file for AR 1.08 (back-up for AR, in other words) and tranferred the save for AR containing SDLOAD's codes so I didn't even have to type them in manually . All you do is "start game" for SDLOAD in the code list on AR or the .dol file (when they're enabled) and open/close the lid real fast to get to the main menu

If you don't have AR/SD Gecko you can just buy SD Media Launcher on Amazon and such and boot dol files from Datel's adapter, then you can play burned mini DVD discs via GCoS 1.5 or Swiss and also boot GCM files (don't even have to burn these ) from you SD card via swiss/SDboot
    Last edited by Destrudo; 3rd-June-2011 at 18:29.
    My inbox IS NOT A REQUEST BOX , if you want to make requests maybe do it here? Someone w/ working links might help you there (I don't do requests obviously, however, feel free to let me know if a DLC file doesn't work* and needs an update ) *ex:"container error"

Still looking for PS2 undubs by any chance? Try searching "PS2 undub project 2.6" @ google, it's hard to miss and you can maybe find most of em in a single search/post .

Thanks
    EP Points

There are no tutorials on how to solder, you just need practice... a lot of practice to solder something so tiny... you should start by practicing with an old and/or broken radio, use a low power soldering iron (30W MAX), a lot of flux (only when practicing, if you are going to JTAG your 360 you should use the minimum quantity possible because if you fuck it up you WILL NOT be able to desolder the damn thing without fucking up the board), good quality solder (lower Pb = higher quality) and a whole fucking lot of patience...

PAN!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cOcO! For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Destrudo View Post
    Nice, good for soldering in general, but I still need to look @ some specifics for 360 modding.
    Why not just use a probe?

And IIRC, there was a video of a Modbo 4 installation on a PS2 on YouTube somewhere..

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raWFv0kx8I0 <- There it is.

Thanks
    EP Points

that's not what he asked for...

PAN!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by cOcO! View Post
    There are no tutorials on how to solder, you just need practice... a lot of practice to solder something so tiny... you should start by practicing with an old and/or broken radio, use a low power soldering iron (30W MAX), a lot of flux (only when practicing, if you are going to JTAG your 360 you should use the minimum quantity possible because if you fuck it up you WILL NOT be able to desolder the damn thing without fucking up the board), good quality solder (lower Pb = higher quality) and a whole fucking lot of patience...
    Yeah I know what you mean it's all about patience and having the right tools/knowledge of the system you're about to solder. The only problem for me @ first was that they're are so many diff specs to look out for, depending on the drive, board, kernal/dash, .etc some have diff methods or no methods for, flashing/spoofing the FW, flashing the drive, etc. for each console, to where there's only certain methods that will only work w/ a certain system if any (duh ).

Thanks for the tips man, but damn, I just heard that kernal higher than 2.0.8495.0 won't be compatible w/ the hack (maybe outdated info, or it could depend maybe ) , I have 2.0.9199.0 so shit, is they're really no hope ? Mine has a Zephyr socket (203W w/ HDMI of course), is a lite-on, and 2.0.9199.0 shows up in the dash. I'm not expecting a tutorial or a detailed explanation, I'm still trying to figure out if mine is even hackable, it really gets confusing to be honest

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Destrudo View Post
    So if you've soldered any console(s) to this extent and have some advice or know of any good sites w/ tutorials on the JTAG mod (or soldering consoles in general) plz let me know.
    that's not what he asked for...
    It's not? He's basically asking for how-to and advice for soldering. With that, he'll see soldering. With a console. It might not be the same thing, but he sees what needs to be done.

And my bad. All I saw was 'soldering' and '360' so ignore the probe comment
    Last edited by JagerSlushy; 3rd-June-2011 at 22:06.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by JagerSlushy View Post
    It's not? He's basically asking for how-to and advice for soldering. With that, he'll see soldering. With a console. It might not be the same thing, but he sees what needs to be done.

Actually they're are plenty of tutorials on how to solder especially for PS2 and other consoles out there, but I get c0c0's point, tutorials won't help anyone nearly as much as hands on experience (tutorials/guides can only suggest so much).

I actually learned how to use most exploits from youtube vids and forums admitably , but soldering is more of a skill rather than just figuring out how to overnight.

No worries though, I appreciate the reply, though I doubt I'll find anything except advice/tips on how to solder my 360 specifically since it varies (based on specs) from what I can tell .

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by JagerSlushy View Post
    exactly my problem. my apologies.

PAN!

Thanks

Its as easy as you think it would be friend. You just take as little solder as you need and bind the two parts together with it. Just remember, in most cases less is more. Make sure not to overlap into other circuits!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

(lower Pb = higher quality)

Where did you get that info? If it weren't for the fact that Microsoft cannot use lead in the 360, there would be no RRODs. Low lead = weak joint.

Thanks
    EP Points

solder is not only lead. it is just one of it's metals. the best solder you can get for electronics is 50% Pb 30% Ag and 20% of a mixture of other low mass metals, when the most common shit you can get is 70% Pb and 30% assorted shit. Pb is a whole fucking lot heavy metal, it oxidizes faster than anything and tends to fail when using low power soldering irons and/or cold soldering. What caused the RRODs in 360 and the YLOD on ps3 is a combination of shitty solder, shitty thermal paste and, of course, shitty ventilation. It could've been prevented if both companies used a higher grade thermal paste and liquid cooling (which isn't expensive since at least 10 years), even retaining the shitty solder they used.

PAN!

Thanks
    EP Points

Your 360 ain't JTAGable and hasn't been for quite some time. As soon as you updated past 7371 all hope was lost.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Your 360 ain't JTAGable and hasn't been for quite some time. As soon as you updated past 7371 all hope was lost.
    Thanks for the advice I needed to know if it was even possible , I guess I'll get nod pre-modded then, whenever I got funds for one (and after selling the other one ), I wanted to buy yours awhile back but I'm in the US (cause you said
    £120 is all I'm looking for for it shipped within the UK!
    )

Anyway, thanks again the for the heads up, I didn't know if mine was outdated info, or if they had updated