Page 1 of 130 1234561151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Magic: The Gathering

So who plays?

I used to play at a serious level from 00-04 and then from 06-09 or so. Can't really afford it anymore.

Anyway, Cockatrice is free.

http://cockatrice.de/index.php?a=download

Username is the same there as well. Hit me up here if you want to play (or add me on msn). I mostly just play casually but I know the current Standard, Legacy and Extended metagames. I don't play EDH currently.

Feel free to gripe about Caw-blade and how boring Standard is right now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've played a few times, thought I pretty much stopped in high school. But I do have several thousands cards on hand in binders.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I try to quit, but they keep pulling me back in!

While I don't care for Standard right now the pain mana mechanic (or w/e you wanna call it) is cool.

Thanks
    EP Points

I played VERY competitively from around 04 to 09, made a few 5k top 8s as well as played the usual FNMs for shits and giggles, but never made it the effort to go further. Haven't so much as thought about the game in more recent times due to college, work, and what have you, so I have no idea what the current metagames for any format are.

Although I still have a few friends in the tournament scene who bitch about how casuals are killing Magic (pretty describes all magic players).

However I can still assume that it's still expensive as FUCK to play Magic. I'm still angry about not being able to sac my mogg fanatics to trade with x/2s anymore.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

OH OH OH OH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive got quite the impressive collection
    Estimated at 14,000+ cards (never actually counted)

EDIT: Cockatrice UN is same as here.

Thanks

I have the Steam version, it's the only version I've ever played. It seems fun enough, but you can't customize your decks like I hear you can with real cards.

Still, pretty fun.

Thanks

I started playing around Fifth Edition. After they got rid of banding, I felt the game was going down the shitter and becoming another Yugioh. Current makers of the game still won't admit they are are making cards that are overpowered compared to previous blocks (I'm talking cards from 10 years ago to now). I believe the phrase is call 'power creep'. The latest edition of cards I have are from the Urza's Block.

Edit: Also when they got rid of mana burn, it killed almost all of my strategies. Now when I play with friends, we play only all commons. It was too easy to make "I Win" decks with access to the uncommons and rares to the point it became a game of who drew their I Win card first. Whenever a game becomes that basic, I can't play it.
    Last edited by Mr. Nemo; 30th-May-2011 at 10:04.

Thanks

Considering what the Urza block did to the game, I don't think you're in any position to be criticising modern cards as more powerful than that abomination of an era.

Thanks

You should notice the part where I said I stopped collecting cards after that set (or I stopped collecting during that set). I only bought a few packs (like 5) and saw the preview I got with my duelist magazine. And yes, I am fully aware people criticize the heck out of that block. Instead of saying my point is invalid, you should take the time to at least question my stance on the set I dated myself with. Because if you haven't noticed, I didn't say I like it or not, did I?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    Considering what the Urza block did to the game, I don't think you're in any position to be criticising modern cards as more powerful than that abomination of an era.
    That was before my time but considering during sanctioned play during Urza block, if the game wasn't over within the first 3 turns than the players had done something wrong. I wouldn't consider it so much a powercreep, more like a "LETS PLAY MAGIC ON SPEED ON FAST FORWARD". Good stuff.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    Although I still have a few friends in the tournament scene who bitch about how casuals are killing Magic (pretty describes all magic players).

However I can still assume that it's still expensive as FUCK to play Magic. I'm still angry about not being able to sac my mogg fanatics to trade with x/2s anymore.
    Very expensive. Gotta have 2nd Jace and he runs for WAAAAAY too much money a pop. $80+ for real.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo
    Now when I play with friends, we play only all commons. It was too easy to make "I Win" decks with access to the uncommons and rares to the point it became a game of who drew their I Win card first. Whenever a game becomes that basic, I can't play it.
    Vintage is kind of dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by snuff
    Haha.

My favourite blocks are probably Invasion, Odyssey, Onslaught, Ravnica and Kamigawa.

Quote Originally Posted by spider
    That was before my time but considering during sanctioned play during Urza block, if the game wasn't over within the first 3 turns than the players had done something wrong. I wouldn't consider it so much a powercreep, more like a "LETS PLAY MAGIC ON SPEED ON FAST FORWARD". Good stuff.
    Haha. You should look at some new cards when you are bored. Batterskull, Sword of War and Peace, Sword of Feast and Famine, Stoneforge Mystic. That's the core right now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post

My favourite blocks are probably Invasion, Odyssey, Onslaught, Ravnica and Kamigawa.

Haha. You should look at some new cards when you are bored. Batterskull, Sword of War and Peace, Sword of Feast and Famine, Stoneforge Mystic. That's the core right now.
    KAMIGAWA FTW!

But still, nothing beats a Platinum Angel with Sword, Shield, and Helm of Cauldra.....and a Dark Depths + Aether snap

Thanks
    EP Points

Blightsteel Colossus + Whispersilk cloak = nuff said

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Form of the Dragon + Zur's Weirding.

Worm knows what's up lol.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Very expensive. Gotta have 2nd Jace and he runs for WAAAAAY too much money a pop. $80+ for real.
    That's just a general rule about Planeswalkers and most mythic rare, they are fucking EXPENSIVE. Especially Jace, I remember him shooting up like crazy the moment he debuted. Though it's not surprising, given what he does. 1UU: Free card and tempo advantage or 2UU: FREE BRAINSTORM EVERY TURN AND UNSUMMON WHEN SHIT GETS REAL.