Thread: Annoying Issue with PC

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Annoying Issue with PC

I bought my PC right at 2 years ago from a custom computer builder.

Anyway... since day one it has had an issue that's annoyed me and their tech support wasn't much help. My knowledge of computers is fairly limited, thus why I'm asking for help.

The issue is this: Where I currently live we have this problem with the power flipping off for 1-5 seconds rather frequently. When it does my computer will go off (of course), but then will come right back on. The problem with this is that everytime it does this it will not pick up my monitor. It has had this problem with 3 different monitors over the last 2 years and 2 of those monitors were brand new.

Is there a way to disable it kicking back on as soon as the power returns to it? Or fix it so that it will at least pick up my monitors? The only way I have found to fix this issue currently is to let it load fully... (wait to hear the sounds of the desktop popping up and waiting 2 mins or so to make sure everything is loaded) and then improperly shutting it down via the power button.

Now, if the power flips off for an extended period (10 mins or longer) there are no problems. It only occurs during those 1-5 second power flips.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Supreme Warrior Guest

sounds like one of these may come in handy,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ouch, dirty power can kill a HDD you know. That is bad. Also, "improperly shutting it down via the power button." is bad too.
    I suggest you get yourself a power surge protector/battery backup, so you have that between your wall and compy. It will not only protect your compy from lightning (if it were to happen) but also have power during the 5 seconds without. idk how long they can last at maximum, but longer than 5 seconds I assume.
    You won't even notice the power outages anymore.

EDIT: ninja'd....yeah that.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    EDIT: ninja'd....yeah that.

Well after looking on newegg, they come in various voltages assuming that is how long they will last before running out of juice,

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ry=72&name=UPS

.........................holy crap, just saw one that goes for $8000.......

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Supreme Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Are you sure it's the grid that's causing the power to turn off and on unexpectedly? When it comes to electricity and wires going to your home, there could be a lot more problems causing that power outage. Please tell us the latest year your house was updated to code (or at least when your house was built). A friend of mine was having similar problems with his electricity but his neighbors weren't experiencing the same problem. I inspected his home and found out he was tripping his circuit breaker due to all the gadgets he has powered on in his gaming room. You might want to look into that before buying a UPS (uninterrupted power supply). It could solve a lot more problems than just the computer.

Also, a power strip with a surge protector is a must for computers. You can take the chance, but not every component in your rig can handle a surge. My radio wouldn't turn on for 3 days after a surge. I was lucky it was still intact, but my washer wasn't. The backside blew out and the box of cup o' noodles that was on top of it caught on fire for a few minutes.
    Last edited by Mr. Nemo; 29th-May-2011 at 08:20.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have a power strip with a surge protector that my computer is plugged into at all times when on. I'm supposed to be moving around this time next month, so I can hope that'll be the end of my issue.

As for my home, it's about 9 years old now and I know the wiring is far from ideal in general. However, everyone on the road I live on experiences these issues, so it's not just me.

EDIT:

By the way, thanks for the responses. If I have this problem with the new place I'm moving to (and I hope I don't) I will definitely get one of those UPS.

Thanks

Since you confirmed the problem is out of your hands, you can tell your computer to stay dead when the power goes out (depending on your motherboard). For me, I have an old Compaq computer. When I enter the BIOs, in the advanced section under power on options is a function called 'after power loss'. I have it at 'off' and whenever there is an outage and everything shuts off and starts back up (like the lights in the room), the computer stays off. The monitor may turn back on, but at least the computer stays down.

Because a PC has to pump extra wattage to start up your computer (basically have a mini-surge), it can be dangerous to quickly turn your computer off and on. Restarting your computer is a different story since it doesn't completely shut down and is still having a current run through it. When you have a power surge and it shuts down the computer, you are basically allowing it to have that mini surge in a rapid secession. You should always wait between 30-60 seconds before turning on a computer after it has turned off.
    Let me know if your BIOs has that function. My motherboard is almost 10 years old so you should have it. Also since you have a custom computer, companies like Dell and Gateway aren't able to disable any functions that could be related to that 'After Power Loss'.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sabathia View Post
    I bought my PC right at 2 years ago from a custom computer builder.

Anyway... since day one it has had an issue that's annoyed me and their tech support wasn't much help. My knowledge of computers is fairly limited, thus why I'm asking for help.
    A computer assembler with basic electronic knowledge would know power cycling is controlled by a power controller. That controller determines whether a supply powers on or off based upon a variety of inputs (the power switch being only one input). Most do not even know a power controller exists.

Those who better know this stuff could answer your question if you measured voltages from six key wires. It takes about one minute. The tool is so dumb simple as to be sold in Kmart or most stores that also sell hammers.

Your only other alternative is to keep replacing parts until something works.

A computer must work even when voltage drops so low that incandescent bulbs dim to 40% intensity. If yours does not work at that normal (but lower) voltage, then your computer has a hardware defect. Either you have numbers so that the better informed can help. Or most just spend $hundreds to cure symptoms with a UPS.

UPS may or may not solve the problem. The solution is based in wild speculation. Not in numbers. Your choice.

Thanks
    EP Points

I will have to take a look later. I missed this response because life has been extremely hectic the last few days. Thanks for the notification letting me know it was here.