Thread: Same IP addresses.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Same IP addresses.

I have a laptop and a desktop PC. For some reason, both have the same IP addresses. I read that each PC is provided their own address, yet, these two machines share the same address. It's very strange. I play Minecraft with my nephew on our home network and I host, or he hosts, and everything is fine. No IP conflict or anything. I just hosted a server for us of Terraria, he connected just fine on his desktop to my server. Now I'm trying to start a server on his desktop for Terraria, which does launch. But when he tries to connect to his server, it won't let him. Would it happen to be because two machines here share the same IP address?

Supreme Warrior Guest

If they are both on the same internet in your house they should have the same ip.

Thanks
    EP Points

We use a router, yes. So does my brother. So all three computers are supposed to share the same IP address?

Supreme Warrior Guest

I dont use a router but i remember something that you CAN(maybe) change your ip through the router but i have no idea about that.

but I do know if you all share the same internet connection you all will have the same ip address.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can't have the same IP for each machine. You will have the same netmask and gateway however. Each device on the network is assigned it's own IP from the router unless you disable DHCP. Each computer is likely 192.168.0.* or some other private IP (Private IPs are 10.*, 172.* and 192.*. Any IP address starting with those number cannot be routed publically.). Your publically routed address will start with 66.*, and is assigned by your ISP. There's a lot more to it of course, but that's the basics. If you're wondering how net traffic knows which computer to go to, look into the wonderful world of NAT (Specifically ephemeral ports):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...ss_translation

Now, it is POSSIBLE that the router assigned two computers the same IP, but ONLY if both computers have the exact same name. But if the two computers really did have the same IP, both would be kicked from the network entirely.

EDIT - Oh yeah, did you actually check the IP on the machines at the same time?
    Last edited by Panda Man; 20th-May-2011 at 00:08.

Thanks
    EP Points

Panda, I checked the address on both computers on Google, and confirmed that both share the same address. I don't get it. It's fine for Minecraft but not for Terraria.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Panda, I checked the address on both computers on Google, and confirmed that both share the same address. I don't get it. It's fine for Minecraft but not for Terraria.
    You did not check the actual IP addresses of the computers, just your public IP. And all Google can see your public, routable, IP address given to you by your ISP. It can see the router but not the computers behind it. That's where NAT / port translation comes in. Check your IP on the computers themselves.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5621076_ip-a...windows-7.html

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dammit, I was gonna mention NAT.
    The Internet doesn't see your unroutable address(es) as the same, they use that with a port number appended.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    You did not check the actual IP addresses of the computers, just your public IP. And all Google can see your public, routable, IP address given to you by your ISP. It can see the router but not the computers behind it. That's where NAT / port translation comes in. Check your IP on the computers themselves.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5621076_ip-a...windows-7.html
    Panda is correct.All your pc's on your local (home) network are sharing the same public IP your ISP has given you.
    If you login to your router you will see the IP's assigned to your machines on your home network without having to check the individual IP's on each actual pc you have on your network..............but they're all sharing the same public IP (provided by your ISP).

Spoiler warning: