Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you want in an MMORPG

Thanks

I have nothin' against MMOs ... unless they screw up the gameplay, character design and basically everything else that could fall under the criteria of a "good game" (Story-line, however, is debatable for me)
    Capturing Pokemon never looked so easy!

Thanks

Copious amounts of grinding, 10 different versions of the same monster, a pay2win cash shop, quests that consist of "Get me x of x", and poorly executed PvP.

All of these are sure-fire ingredients for a masterpiece.

Thanks
    EP Points

let me add this to my list... GLOBAL SERVERS, NO IP BLOCK ¬¬

Thanks

I want to see some technique use in an MMORPG

not just press F3 and F4 to heal and use a power attack over and over again

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks

I think Dungeon Fighter Online has the perfect combat system for an MMO (Even though the game itself is more or less 100% instanced). It just has the major, major flaw of forcing you to repeat every zone about 600 times before you go onto the next one.
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL I'M SO WAAAAACCKYYYYYYY

Thanks

has any1 heard of runescape? it's alright for a free mmorpg, but, if you become a member for only 7.95 a month (almost 1/2 the price of WoW ), it's not that bad of a game!
    http://www.runescape.com

Thanks

I think they should stop ripping off bits and parts of viking mythology and just come out with a really action pact gory REAL viking game

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

(Didn't read the whole topic, just replying to what it's about)

If I'm going to play an MMO (assuming my junker can run it), these are my list of requirements:

- Free (Don't care at all if you have the ability to pay for the game; just don't over-limit the free users by making standard stuff members-only. Like, "O, U HAVE TO PAY 2 GO ON QUESTS OR LEVEL UP PAST 10 OR DO ANYHTING ELSE FUN")
    - If it's action, the action has to be good (Not just run up to the guy and click like crazy hoping you slice him faster, run away, charge a spell for five seconds, be unable to turn while doing this, shooting a blast at the guy, the guy dodges, or doesn't do enough damage to him to be worth the five second charge-time... bleh. It's online, so moves like in Kingdom Hearts would be very tough to pull off, but still. I'm sick of running around slicing guys when no one can possibly have an advantage aside from pure level)
    - If it's 3D, running with the keyboard/joystick, instead of clicking where you wanna go (It's hard to navigate like that. I wanna run around with the arrow keys at least)
    - Seriously. Either find someone who can compose non-generic-sounding music, or get some of that techno that's all over Newgrounds. XD
    - Oh my gosh. Stop making a big deal out of every single new quest you release. If you make that big a deal of it, then obviously your game is centered around quests... and that's boring.

Haha, I hardly ever play MMOs anyway... They're always full of n00bs and trolls, and you always meet that one guy who's been playing for two weeks who's 20 levels higher than you, who has been playing for a year. And then there's that power-abusing moderator who'll ban you because you stood next to his character for too long, or because you asked him for help.

I prefer games where I can choose to play offline too. So basically, console games. XD Where I can find random matches with people... and turn off chat/voice or quit the game if there are idiots in there. Oh, and the scammers who try to take all of your gold and rare items. Yeah, I don't really like MMOs. XD I shouldn't be posting, but I will anyway. Anyone else hate the things I'm talking about!?

EDIT: Oh, but I will say that I love Pokemon World Online. Although they're having trouble right now and I haven't gotten to play in a while... Mostly because that one has a tried and true battle system. lol
    - Lots of cliché pictures, "cards" and quotes here -
    - Random GIF image here -
    - Custom user graphic here -

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aarongindles View Post
    has any1 heard of runescape? it's alright for a free mmorpg, but, if you become a member for only 7.95 a month (almost 1/2 the price of WoW ), it's not that bad of a game!
    http://www.runescape.com
    Runescape? Are you serious? Or are you trolling? That was one of those games I played for 5 minutes, and I cannot fathom why anyone would pay money for that game, its horrible. Even for free MMOs, there are way better ones out there than Runescape. Anarchy Online is the best free MMO I played, and its WAY better than Runescape. LOTR Online is also free now and its also WAY better than Runescape.

Thanks
    EP Points

what i like about mmo's setting, large play fields, immersion, audio, team and solo play viability.
    what I dislike is lack of quality sci-fi based mmo's and fps/tps rpg hybrids.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

MMORPH should be F2P (of course it should!), somehow unique (such as Mortal Online do), and of course not a WoW clone.
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    LOTR Online is also free now and its also WAY better than Runescape.
    Indeed, still playing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Grouch View Post
    what i like about mmo's setting, large play fields, immersion, audio, team and solo play viability.
    what I dislike is lack of quality sci-fi based mmo's and fps/tps rpg hybrids.
    Anarchy Online is the best Sci-fi MMO I played, but even that game has downsides that limit me from playing it that others might be able to tolerate or maybe even enjoy. The pros in Anarchy Online is the community isn't as immature as many other MMOs. The negative is learning curve is pretty steep, nothing like what I heard about EVE online, but you are looking at at least a full year to two years before you get your first max level character fully geared out. I also dislike the character development, it requires you shuffle around equipment and implants that raise certain stats/skills to fit better gear, and this is even required for Max level characters to use their best gear. They call it twinking. Think of it like a slide puzzle with pieces of equipment. Someone who knows exactly what they are doing could accomplish the same in 6 months or less. Very time consuming to get the credits/money to get gear, and once you get the gear you have to track down all of the items with stat bonuses you need to shuffle in to even be able to equip the stuff. And then also buffs, that is a whole different story, you better have multiple accounts with one that can buff if you plan on twinking, because good luck tracking down buffs in that game to be able to equip any decent gear. Gear is paramount in that game above all else, it determines whether the enemies you are fighting are impossible, or get bulldozed with little effort. Once I got in the 150 range, I realized I was going to have to grind for about 500 million credits worth of gear to even be able to do anything at that level, realizing what an enormous feat of grinding and time dump that would have been, I just said hell with it. Ironically the best grinding spots also require you to have top notch equipment to be able to kill anything. An underequipped level 80 in WoW was at least viable outside of raids and could do alright, an under equipped level 220 in Anarchy Online is dog food.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 5th-September-2011 at 12:38.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    Anarchy Online is the best Sci-fi MMO I played, but even that game has downsides that limit me from playing it that others might be able to tolerate or maybe even enjoy. The pros in Anarchy Online is the community isn't as immature as many other MMOs. The negative is learning curve is pretty steep, nothing like what I heard about EVE online, but you are looking at at least a full year to two years before you get your first max level character fully geared out. I also dislike the character development, it requires you shuffle around equipment and implants that raise certain stats/skills to fit better gear, and this is even required for Max level characters to use their best gear. They call it twinking. Think of it like a slide puzzle with pieces of equipment. Someone who knows exactly what they are doing could accomplish the same in 6 months or less. Very time consuming to get the credits/money to get gear, and once you get the gear you have to track down all of the items with stat bonuses you need to shuffle in to even be able to equip the stuff. And then also buffs, that is a whole different story, you better have multiple accounts with one that can buff if you plan on twinking, because good luck tracking down buffs in that game to be able to equip any decent gear. Gear is paramount in that game above all else, it determines whether the enemies you are fighting are impossible, or get bulldozed with little effort. Once I got in the 150 range, I realized I was going to have to grind for about 500 million credits worth of gear to even be able to do anything at that level, realizing what an enormous feat of grinding and time dump that would have been, I just said hell with it. Ironically the best grinding spots also require you to have top notch equipment to be able to kill anything. An underequipped level 80 in WoW was at least viable outside of raids and could do alright, an under equipped level 220 in Anarchy Online is dog food.
    funny you should mention that I've been playing that game for several years on and off as a free player, yeah alot of what you said is true the learning curve is very steep and the grind is what gets me a lot of times. I play for a little while on some lowbies and realize how much time it'll take to get some decent gear then i say screw it break time. sad really as I do like the atmosphere and the skill system to an extent don't care too much for twinking but it's almost mandatory at times.
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.
    help the socially disabled https://gofund.me/3234a082
    my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDs...gHZ_f8tjf8jW4w

Thanks
    EP Points

I played an MMORPG called Vindictus for a bit. It's a really good concept, but it needs a massive overhaul to the marketplace and the player base needs to be educated a bit on how a market is supposed to function. It uses the Source engine too, so that's kind of cool. I am, however, a bit prejudiced against it because it was created by Nexon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Grouch View Post
    funny you should mention that I've been playing that game for several years on and off as a free player, yeah alot of what you said is true the learning curve is very steep and the grind is what gets me a lot of times. I play for a little while on some lowbies and realize how much time it'll take to get some decent gear then i say screw it break time. sad really as I do like the atmosphere and the skill system to an extent don't care too much for twinking but it's almost mandatory at times.
    You can get to level 200 as a free player, but that is a tremendous chore. I only ever seen a few real level 200 free players. One of them was a fixer, I asked him where he got from 175-200 at, he said he grinded missions for a very long time. Seeing as how the highest level mobs outdoors in Rubika are in the 180 range, PW borgs, once you start getting close to their level it takes a very long time to make any progress there. Doing missions after about level 170 or so makes sense. I saw some level 95 and 100 nanotechs kiting boat loads of level 180 PW borgs, paid player probably twinked with alien invasion tier armor. Killing stuff almost 100 levels above you is crazy. That is AO twinking for you. The mobs in the expansions are much, much tougher than the rubika mobs though and you definitely couldn't solo alien invasion mobs 100 levels above you, considering some of them close to your level can nearly 1hko you if you aren't a tank. This is why you really need solid gear in the expansions, because they will turn you into dog food in 1-2 hits if you are under geared. The only thing that might be ok without epic gear is maybe the classes that use pets. But if you get aggro you are at the respawn terminal before you even know you got hit. As far as PVP goes, there is Atrox Enforcer, and well.... thats it? Atrox enforcers dominate every level range of PVP as long as they are properly geared nobody can beat them consistently. Nano tech can if they use their 30 minute recharge buff and can kill them 1hko, but if they are going best out of 10, that is only good for 1/10.

Best place to get money as a free player in Anarchy is to grind the basic armor quests, and sell the set for 15-20 million. Its worth a lot because the basic armor is needed to craft alien armor, and the only way to get it is grind a quest, and most with the credits would rather buy it than grind it. If you have a yalm, it doesn't take that long to do the quest line. And you can repeat it. The only problem is you might sit on it for a day or 2 before you sell it. But you will sell it usually in a short amount of time.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 6th-September-2011 at 21:51.