Thread: [TUTORIAL] How to run NDS games through BIOS mode on No$gba

Thanks
    EP Points

Thumbs up [TUTORIAL] How to run NDS games through BIOS mode on No$gba

This tutorial was mainly made for No$gba users, especially to those who are having problem when running NDS games using this method.

Note:
    Use CTRL+F for an easy navigation.

Table of Content [#toc]

1) Things you Need to make it work [#thi]
    2) Encrypting instructions [#enc]
    2) Step by step configurations [#cfg]
    3) FAQs [#faq]
    4) Download Link(s) [#ddl]
    5) Credits [#cre]

Things you Need to make it work [#thi]

• No$gba 2.6a, of course this method can't be done without it.
    • No$Zoomer 2.3.0.2, this is needed as well, used to fix some compatibility issues
    • 3 rom files, which are very IMPORTANT, and must have
      - gba.rom
      - biosnds7.rom
      - biosnds9.rom
      * these files need to be placed on the root of your No$gba folder, e.g C:\No$gba.

• firmware.bin , needed for the MULTI language games(with English available), as well to keep the language in English when in BIOS screen.
    • eNDryptS Advanced v1.2, needed to encrypt the game

Encrypting Instructions [#enc]

This MUST be done before running any games(with issues, black/white screen) through BIOS, skipping this step may cause No$gba to crash, freeze or shutdown by itself during the gameplay, this probably due to some bugs and compatibility issues No$gba has at the moment. Although, some people able running the game without encrypting it, I still suggest you to do it, since the result they have may vary than yours. Well, JUST TO BE SAFE.

In this tutorial, we'll use eNDryptS Advanced v1.2 as the program for encrypting.
    1. get a copy of this tools

You can download this program from the main site, or mirrors located at the bottom of this post. Or Google for it.

2. extract and put all the files into a folder

After you have downloaded it, extract all files(if it come as .rar/.zip) or install it(if it come with an installer) into a folder.
      Depending from where you download it from, you should have all of these files:
      - eNDryptS Advanced.exe
      - eNDryptS Advanced.txt
      - PatchEngine.dat
      - ind-ndse12.jpg
      - ind-ndse12.nfo

*Both eNDryptS Advanced.exe and PatchEngine.dat files are required for encrypting, missing either of the two may cause the program fail to run, etc. The rest is just optional.

1. put your NDS rom file(s) into the folder

Before running the program, make sure to put your NDS rom file(s) that needed to be encrypted into the eA folder, make sure it was place on the root of this folder, not in sub-folder.

2. running the program

Click eNDryptS Advanced.exe to start the program, the program may take few minutes/seconds to start depending on which OS you're using.
      After that, notice all the six options that available on eNDryptS Advanced(eA) window, and only 3 are available for use :

[1]Decrypt/Encrypt rom(s),
      [5]Detect Manufactured Overdumps, and
      [0]Close eNDryptS Advanced.

For this tutorial, we will only use [1] and [0].

3. encrypting the Rom file(s)

By pressing the corresponding numbers on your keyboard, it will give further instruction to eA,
      so to start the encrypting process, press the [1] button.

You should be able to see the same window with the above image.
      During this process the program will try to encrypt the rom file(which you have put earlier from the previous step), just wait until it finished, which you can notice from the last message.

1 rom(s) successfully patched.

Press any key to close the window!
      After that, press any key on your keyboard to close the window.
      and rename the rom(*optional*), e.g Golden Sun Dark Dawn(encypted).nds

OR you will get this instead if there are no rom found inside the eA folder.

To fix this, make sure rom is inside the eA folder, like I mentioned before.

The first part has done! now we move to the second one!

Step by step configurations [#cfg]

In this section, we will go through to the process to make No$gba running through BIOS, which can be done after you had done all of the previous steps.
    You can do it either by using ONLY with No$gba, or WITH its addon, No$Zoomer. So, for this tutorial I'll use No$Zoomer. (since you may need to use it anyway after configuring the BIOS on No$gba)

1. Files that Needed to Run the BIOS

Before we start, please make sure you have all the required files and placed in your No$gba root folder(e.g C:\No$gba).
      Those files are:

- gba.rom
      - biosnds7.rom
      - biosnds9.rom
      - firmware.bin

as well the ROM which you have encrypted earlier.

2. setting the BIOS mode on No$zoomer/No$gba

If you have all the files from the previous step, then you can proceed with the BIOS configuration.
      First, run your No$Zoomer(or No$gba), and then load ANY games(or the games which you have encrypted earlier) to get access to the configuration menu.
      Then go to Emulation Setup(through Options) or Press F11 on your keyboard.

After that, under the Reset/Startup Entrypoint, change it to 'GBA BIOS (Nintendo Logo)', and click the OK button at the bottom.
      Then go back to Options, select 'Save Options'. This should prevent any changes you made on the emulation settings be reverted back to its previous state.

Exit/quit No$Zoomer(Alt+F4 or File -> Exit), and run it again.

3. loading the game on BIOS mode

Now come the crucial part(well, not really) and the last part, select the ROM you have encrypted before(for this tutorial, I select Golden Sun Dark Dawn rom).

If you have followed all the previous steps, the emulator should direct you to the BIOS screen, if its not and just show black/white screen, or some errors, delete the 'no$gba.ini' file or change or the command line(see the [#faq] section) and restart the BIOS configuration process again.

And that the end of this tutorial, hope this will help those who need it.
      If you have any question/suggestion feel free to post it here or PM me.

Thank You.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) [#faq]

1. Q: Why should I go through all this to play ROM on my No$gba/No$Zoomer?
      A: With this method, you're able to run some unplayable games(mostly the newer one) on No$gba, just like playing specific PSP games on certain firmwares, etc.

2. Q: Help! my emulator suddenly crashed, freeze, or only show black/white screen
      A: Delete the no$gba.ini file or change the command-line inside it (see below)

3. Q: no$gba.ini? what's that?
      A: It is the configuration file for the No$gba, which you can modify without even using the emulator itself(only if you know what should be edit/changed).
      Besides deleting the .ini file, there is another way to change the emulation startup by deleting this line:
      Download Links:
      Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    4. Q: Is there any other alternatives beside doing all this??
      A: Of course! use DeSmuMe.

Download Link(s) [#ddl]

No$gba

No$zoomer

eNDryptS Advanced v1.2

Full Package (No$gba & No$Zoomer)

Credit(s) [#cre]
    • Epforums, for hosting this tutorial
    • Martin Korth, for his No$gba release
    • and some other random sources, I guess.

**NOTE : If you want to use this tut outside of this forum(or for anything at all), please do ask for my permission FIRST! Thank you.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meganova For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Thanks for the tutorial, meganova, I'll add it to our indexes

Thanks

it did not work for me probably coz i dont have the gba.rom cant find it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Please, don't post in old threads, create your own thread in the Nintendo section after reading the pinned threads.