Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blocking Minecraft

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Blocking Minecraft

Does anyone know some good ways to Block Minecraft.

I Wont go into huge details but Ive had enough of my GF's sons obsession with Minecraft. every waking moment he aint forced to school or homework he plays, Watches videos about or reads about bloody Minecraft.

Any and all advice (that's helpful) would be appreciated

Thanks

Is he playing through the browser or on the computer itself?

Thanks
    EP Points

u may need some sort of parental control software

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

You could block the port that Minecraft uses on your router, it's something like 29000 or in that region, easily findable online.

You could put Leechblock on Firefox and only you know the password limiting his time on youtube (if that's where he is getting the videos).

Or just tell him to get off the computer and go outside.

Thanks

If hes under 18 you as a parent/guardian have the right to control what he does on the PC if its that bad just ban him from using a PC altogether till he sees what hes done wrong...minecraft isnt even that good anyways...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

He has the Proper release and isnt playing through the browser itself.

Its not like were trying to be overbearing or unfair but he has become a Minecraft Hermit, and its getting far too unhealthy to be obsessed to 1 game that bad.

Thanks

be a dick and say the internet is down i do it to my sister all the timei just shut off her wirelsess

Thanks
    EP Points

you could always change his password to minecraft. then he wouldn't be able to access the game. Although it is a really fun game if ya got an imagination.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks

Not sure I necessarily see the problem here. If he's going to school and doing his homework (perhaps you could expand on "forced" a bit more?) I don't see the issue with him playing a game like Minecraft. Sounds like he might be creatively starved if something like Minecraft is his obsession also, so if the game is absolutely not an option for him to continue playing.. Try finding other creative recreational activities for him? Stuff that involves building, or drawing, or painting even? Some kind of creative outlet would likely do wonders.

Thanks

uninstall it and delete it then dont let him play it anymore? never played minecraft but i heard its fun.
    Persona is so beast...

Thanks

WTF man, I could see if he had an obsession with GTAIV or something, but Minecraft? Something that actually helps to express oneself? That's like burning a painters canvas and brushes, then eating all of his paint. Just talk to him, and say, "Yo son, I ain't likin u be playin minecraft all teh time." At least he isn't out smoking weed and drinking like 75% of the kids at my school are.
    "If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the heart of man"
    -Edward D Morrison.

Thanks
    EP Points

you could always sign him up for an art class?

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Just because Minecraft is a game that allows expression doesn't mean that's what he does when he plays. But as Tass said, it'd be pretty simple to just block it via the router. Either block the port, or block the IP of the servers. The former is most likely a lot easier to find out, but the latter is more complete and less likely to affect anything else.

That said, I agree that it's a bit too harsh to block it altogether. If you've got a decent router, the firmware likely has an option for scheduling access or parental controls. I.e. "2 hours a day" or "Only active between x AM and y PM."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

aye i had been considering doing the router version

and just so were clear, when i say forced we practically have to throw him out to get him to go to school. like nag him to death just because he is always claiming he has to do "Just 1 more thing"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    aye i had been considering doing the router version

and just so were clear, when i say forced we practically have to throw him out to get him to go to school. like nag him to death just because he is always claiming he has to do "Just 1 more thing"
    Yeah, then I'd say schedule the router to cut off his internet access from 10 minutes after bedtime (so you can say "Get off, kid" and he has 10 minutes to say goodbye/save/whatever else is necessary) until 10 minutes after school starts on weekdays.