Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tales Fans Get The Shaft..... Again!

Thanks
    EP Points

To be honest, I agree with Chocobolicious. You suggested that Bamco probably chose TotA to port because it would be a cheap localisation, but going on their track record, I doubt they considered the Western market very much at all. I'd guess they just chose it because it's pretty much the most popular game in the series in Japan, and it's likely the localisation is only happening to begin with because script changes will probably be minimal and they can just reuse the PS2 voice work and translation. People are acting as if it's coming here at the expense of another game we haven't seen before, but there's no guarantee they'd bother localising at all had they chosen another game to port. The costs involved are completely different, and it's not like giving one of the unlocalised games another chance at localisation would result in Bamco actually taking it. Heck Rebirth and Destiny 2 actually did get another chance when they were ported to the PSP a couple of years ago, and remained in Japan. Throw in the fact that they're already localising an all new game in the PS3 version of Graces, and I'm pretty sure that if they hadn't chosen Abyss or Symphonia to port, you probably wouldn't be seeing an English version at all.

Also, I don't really get where people are getting the idea that an Abyss port is somehow overkill. It's actually one of the only games in the series that's still only available on one console. And the PS2 version is pretty poorly programmed to boot, with nasty load times and horrible slowdown on the world map. I'd say it's fair game for a port. The fact that it's one of the only games in the series released in the West doesn't change the fact that pretty much every other game in the series has been ported to some console or another already in Japan. Including, ironically, many of the games people are clamouring for while slamming the Abyss port for being a retread. Sigh.

I don't know. Maybe I just don't care as much because I speak Japanese, but I can't help but feel people are looking a gift horse in the mouth here. I agree that Bamco have treated the series pretty shockingly overseas, but I'm not really feeling the nerd rage on this one.

Thanks

Oooh.... a hot japanese mommie?