Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tales Fans Get The Shaft..... Again!

Thanks

Default Tales Fans Get The Shaft..... Again!

I'm still pretty new to the whole Tales scene. But one thing i've learned while visiting the various fan translation sites that are around is, there are quite a few Tales games that have never been translated into english.

Tales of Rebirth (PS2)

Tales of Hearts (DS)

Tales of Destiny - Director's Cut (PS2) <Totally different version than the gamecube one>

Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2) <Totally different game than the PS1 one, which is also called Tales of Eternia>

Tales of Symphonia (PS2) <Totally different version than the gamecube one>

Tales of Innocence (DS)

.......and there's a whole slew of more Tales games that were never officialy localized. You can check wikipedia for more details on the other games. I know that some of the fan projects have been going on for 10 YEARS and counting.

Nintendo is coming out with that new 3DS system, and Namco has decided to put a Tales game on it. Great news, right? You would think this could be another chance for them to go ahead and get one of those titles out that's listed above, but they have decided to port Tales of the Abyss to the system instead. Yeah. I was thinking that they were just taking advantage of the situation (New system with no rpg's = YOU HAVE NOWHERE ELSE TO TURN TO BUT OUR GAME! SO YOU'LL BUY OUR REHASH! )

ToA For 3DS Coming Soon

But then I remembered something. That's the same company that localizes the .hack games. I remember reporting on a story a while back that said Namco Bandai had laid off many workers.

Namco Bandai Layoffs

I know the company has slacked off of localizing .hack//Link. And they didn't even bother to put the movie (.hack GU Trilogy) out with an english dub. Just english subtitles.

So with that being said, I view their decision to port ToA to the 3DS as one where they don't have to spend very much money converting it into 3D. And put whatever extra little thing in the game to entice suckers people to buy it. If they were to localize any of the other games we're waiting for, it would cost them more time and money to do it. The work's pretty much done for ToA.

I think they need the money. So I wouldn't be too hard on them for doing that.
    Last edited by darkjusticex; 2nd-May-2011 at 01:46.

Supreme Warrior Guest

well I had enough of Bamco after the crap they pulled with Tales of Graces ,they port it to he PS3 and ENHANCED it,
    some absolute bullshit because it was supposed to be exclusive.
    they could of made a enhanced ver for the Wii as well and put the after story on a second disc, nope, too lazy.

Thanks

I was on their facebook page a few months ago. There wasa campaign going on where all the Tales and .hack fans pestered the hell out of the company to localize Graces F and .hack//Link. There were many more requests for the Tales game. And the Tales fans didn't give up like most of the .hack fans did.

So that's why Graces F is coming to the US.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Sucks since am not wasting my Money on anymore Consoles made in china(spare DS lite dont count)

Thanks

Look at it this way, at least Graces F has the potential to keep the franchise alive. So does ToA 3DS. When I was researching the games on wikipedia, I found out that they've been making and then totally rebooting certain Tales games for years.

Tales of Destiny & Tales of Destiny Directors Cut are totally different games. Same goes for Symphonia Gamecube and Symphonia PS2. Now they are doing it to Graces. This is just the first time they are releasing both versions in the US.

Supreme Warrior Guest

they are not totally different games, same game, added content.

Thanks

This is the wiki for Destiny Director's Cut. Read "Changes from the Original"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Destiny_(PS2)

When someone puts a totally different script, graphics and features in a remake, to me it's a totally different game. But it's based on the original. Similar. But not the same. The big thing is the new script. I'm taking that as it's really a new script and not a modification. If it is a modification, they should've specified it. Ya know?

Now, for Symphonia's PS2 release, they added more to the story. So that one is the same game, added content.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by darkjusticex View Post
    But one thing i've learned while visiting the various fan translation sites that are around is, there are quite a few Tales games that have never been translated into english.
    It's quite a shame that those are some of the best Tales games in the franchise.

Minor typo/mistake there, there is no Tales of Destiny on Gamecube. The original is on the PS1.

Tales of Destiny (PS1 original) and Tales of Destiny (PS2 remake) are completely different games. No doubt about it. Hell, it went from this to this. Aside from the graphics, there's re-made dungeons, a completely new battle system, new scenes and even some changes to certain elements of the plot (*cough* Leon *cough*).

Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut, on the other hand, is simply an updated version of the PS2 remake, with added content - most notably a short campaign that lets you play as Leon Magnus and experience everything from his viewpoint, with some extra scenes thrown in there. Which reminds me, I need to go back and finish it one of these days. Anyway, calling it a totally different game is a huge stretch.

Similarly, Graces and Graces F are essentially the same game, with Graces F having some bonus content - an extra epilogue story (which I'm quite jealous of, having only played the Wii version), new hi-ougis for each character and who knows what else. The core game, though, remains unchanged. I've never played Symphonia, but I'm willing to bet it's the same deal with that one.

I do hope Graces does well in the States, because of obvious reasons. And also because it's actually a really good Tales game, one of my favourites. Then again, it's by the same team who developed the Destiny remake and Rebirth.
    Last edited by Gare; 2nd-May-2011 at 11:00.

Supreme Warrior Guest

I meant the Tales of Destiny games on the PS2, not the Original PSX release.

im not a ignorant noob

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, that's what I assumed. Never hurts to write a wall of text about it, though.

Edit: On-topic, Namco's "logic" is still hilarious.

Good Tales games? Who cares, I mean, why would anyone want to play these in English?

Mediocre Tales games? LOCALIZE THAT SHIT ASAP.

I was genuinely surprised when Graces was announced.
    Last edited by Gare; 2nd-May-2011 at 11:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

You're not missing out all that much on the PS2 Symphonia. The enhancements are relatively minor, and it's a bit of a mess technically, with quite a lot of slowdown, poor loading times and a lower framerate in battles. I think you could probably make an argument for the Gamecube one being better. It's certainly not hugely worse, at very least.

The PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia, on the other hand, is pretty massively enhanced. Two new characters, tons of extra scenes, full voices, extra skills and costumes... Then again, Japanese X360 owners are raging about that one just as much.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

"well I had enough of Bamco after the crap they pulled with Tales of Graces ,they port it to he PS3 and ENHANCED it,
    some absolute bullshit because it was supposed to be exclusive."

Yeah, this happened with a lot of early 360 exclusives.

Anyway, yeah, this is nothing new. Try being a SRW fan.

I'm aware of why they can't bring most SRW games over to NA, but it still sucks!

Thanks

Tales of the Abyss is an excellent game and a great choice for a port. Simple as that. It scored higher in japanese reviews, sold better, and generally just did all around better than Vesperia (Even the PS3 remake.)

When you try to guess which game to port, I'd assume you grab whatever game is most likely to make you money.

Note, I love Graces and I /really/ wish they'd ported Tales of Innocence (Though the fan-trans is probably more professional and better handled than Bamco would have done.)

Frankly, I wish the Radiant Mythology series would get ported over here too.. hnnggg. Hate being a tales fan sometimes. Crap sucks.

Thanks

If mistaken, Radiant Mythology 1 is in english. I'm too lazy to check right now. But I could've sworn I downloaded it from here for PSP.

Thanks

I thought Radiant Mythology 1 was already in english for PSP?