Thread: Acheivements/trophies for older video games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Acheivements/trophies for older video games.

Something that just crossed my mind whilst playing some pokemon red (better than blue, oh yeah, I went there, I threw down the gauntlet ) and was thinking about how would older games be like if they had acheievements or trophies, or what you would need to do to get those trophies. The whole beating the game, and/or beating the game on hard would be the most standard one I think. What other possible ones could they do? For example, imagine doing things like beat zombies ate my neighbours while rescuing everyone. That would be pretty impossible.

One thing I did sometimes with games that I beat was set out my own challenges, people do lots of things like that such as three heart runs of legend of zelda. Things like that makes the game a bit more varied.

Thanks

ive set challenges on some of my old games. for one unlocking all the characters in ssbm. and also maxing out my stats in chrono trigger. oh and beating the original super mario bros without dieing a single time. never beat that one though lol
    Persona is so beast...

Thanks
    EP Points

One game that got me thinking when I had a blast of it earlier on this month was GTA: San Andreas. Imagine the requirements in that, because there was so many things to do.

Collect all hidden packages, do all graffiti, etc for the 100%.

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

I think the challenges people set themselves to get replay value out of games were far more difficult than most achievements/trophies. Which is why we're all bitchy little moaners now.

Trying to beat golden eye by just bitch slapping people, now there was an idiotic idea.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I think the challenges people set themselves to get replay value out of games were far more difficult than most achievements/trophies. Which is why we're all bitchy little moaners now.

Trying to beat golden eye by just bitch slapping people, now there was an idiotic idea.
    I can't even do most of the levels on medium or hard, let alone meleeing every enemy.

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

We also used to make up little multiplayer games. Like oddjob was tiny and hard to hit right? So we play the mode where the golden gun is on the map, we make it 3 vs 1 and the one guy is oddjob and we let him get the golden gun before we start, those were violent sittings.

Thanks

We used to try to beat bosses in Ocarina of Time while wearing the ..iron boots? something boots. The big heavy ones. Fun stuff

Thanks
    EP Points

The achievements might have been an interesting concept to add too them, but I digress I enjoyed them without.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks

Well, they do get achievements whenever they get ported over to LIVE. I don't know how PSN works with retro games, but all LIVE Arcade games get achievements. And of course, they're all jokes compared to the challenges we set for ourselves; I got all of Sonic3's achievements on my first play through.

Thanks

I hate achievements/trophies. I think its the worst thing to be added to video games after DLC. I could replay all my old N64 games and PS2 games just as suggested by making goals that were fun for myself. But these achievements/trophies got me cause I am a bit of a completionist and hated to see that I missed trophies in my games. Its taken a bit, but I've begun to completely ignore them and turned off the notification for them. I want to make my games fun, not a chore

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alpha2zulu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i know a guy who can beat ff4 in under 12 hrs, now that is an achievement
    Also, beating super mario bros in like 10 min, seen that done too

Someday I shalt be human again

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I honestly don't care about trophies and achievements, but I like making little challenges to myself. Especially for NES games, because it does make it a lot more fun to play. Like beating all of the Robot Masters in the first six Mega Man games using only the Mega Buster (difficult in the first two games, kind of difficult in the third game and fourth but still fairly doable, really easy in five and six). Or the no death run of Batman for the NES that I did, which was lots of fun. That sort of thing... I still can't do a three heart run of the first Legend of Zelda, though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by drag
    I honestly don't care about trophies and achievements, but I like making little challenges to myself.
    This is how I've always played games, long before trophies/achievements existed. Soloing games like Baldur's Gate after I beat them normally, Res Ev knife runs, beating things w/o doing conventional strats (stuff like not using the auto-resurrecting stuff in VP, WDP in Lunar 2, I think it was Lunar 2 it's been awhile since I played either of those), etc...

There are lots of possibilities with strategy games as well.