Thread: Please Help D= (running FF IX on PS2 console)

Thanks

Default Please Help D= (running FF IX on PS2 console)

Okay, I'm having a serious issue and this is the only place I knew to come.

I recently found my copy of Final Fantasy IX (all discs are in perfect condition, no scratches on any of them) and wanted to play it on my Playstation 2.
    I put in disc 1 to start a new game and after waiting a few seconds for the Ps2 to read the disc, a red screen came up saying something along the lines of "Insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc", so I took it out and put in disc 2...
    It worked perfectly.
    I went to New Game and it told me to insert disc 1, which I did and it made the little Final Fantasy sound of success and went to a black screen.
    It never loaded.
    So I figured I'd try discs 3 and 4 to see if they worked...
    They did.
    Ugghhh! Can anyone help me with this?
    Like I said, none of the discs are scratched at all and other games work fine on the console.
    Please help me. D=

Thanks
    EP Points

Wrong forum, even though this has nothing to do with emulation, this should be under Sony Systems in everything emulation. Also, I do not know what you're supposed to do.

Thanks
    EP Points

Even though it is the wrong forum I would suggest cleaning the first disc even though it looks clean with an alcohol solution also you may want to invest in a player cleaner or alternatively you can take the feet off the ps2 remove the screws take of the top remove the small screws on the cd cover remove it and clean your lens with alcohol and a Q-tip works for most game screw ups for me.

Be sure to report back and let us know how it works

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

I just know it relates to Final Fantasy and I'm not sure that many other Final Fantasy forums (especially older ones) get very much traffic anymore.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyGreggors View Post
    I just know it relates to Final Fantasy and I'm not sure that many other Final Fantasy forums (especially older ones) get very much traffic anymore.
    It really relates more to problems with games, not really related to JUST final fantasy

Thanks

I was thinking it could have something to do with the files/information that's on the disc itself. Because I once tried to download an emulator and play it on my pc, but couldn't exactly figure out the software and everything I needed. I was thinking I may have accidentaly deleted a piece of information off of the disc? I dunno.

Thanks

It could also be your PS2 laser. About 8 months ago, I found out that some of my games and dvd's were not reading very well at all/didn't work. Besides 1 game that was very scratched when I bought it from gamestop, after using some compressed air on the laser, it played everything perfectly. As far as I know, physical discs cant lose information unless the label on top is badly damaged where you can see through the disc (the top of the disc has no protection and the data is on the other side of the label, I think, not 100%).

Thanks

ps2s that were used a lot tend to have problems with ps1 discs since the laser wears out. try to run it on your emulator again and if the game still doesnt work then its definetly the cd.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyGreggors View Post
    I was thinking it could have something to do with the files/information that's on the disc itself. Because I once tried to download an emulator and play it on my pc, but couldn't exactly figure out the software and everything I needed. I was thinking I may have accidentaly deleted a piece of information off of the disc? I dunno.
    You can't delete info from a retail CD or CD-R

It is very possible that the disc is damaged either from exposure or dust/layer or dirt both are not obvious, you can try giving the CD a wipe

The PS2 CD laser is most likely worn aswell, you can try to clean the lense (can also be retuned but would not recomend you try on a PS2 [just too easy to screw up and break the PS2 totally])

As for emulation you require a PSX bios (available to download) you will also want pete's plugins

the ePSXe_1.6.0_Starter_Kit may come in handy, should have everything you need to get started (plugin settings may need tweeking)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-April-2011 at 10:48.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

mine does the same thing. put it in an emulator and it ran, albeit a little bit slow. I tried to run it in the old psx and got a little more results out of it. i think my laser just needs cleaned though, going to have to try that one