Thread: Inability to Run the Lunar: Silver Star Story ROMs

Thanks

Default Inability to Run the Lunar: Silver Star Story ROMs

Greetings and good evening. I would greatly appreciate advice regarding the activation of two ROMs I downloaded from this site. I will provide the story in its entirety so that, should anyone choose to help me, inquiries will be anywhere from few to non existent.

About my vista computer, it has a triple core processor, 2.10 GHz. My graphics card has approximately 2294 MBs of memory. It has 3070 MBs of RAM. The BIO I downloaded to get my emulator to work is called scph1001. The plugin I downloaded for it is called Pete’s OpenGL2 Driver 2.9. I have not tried other ROMs because I have a limited amount of data I can download a month, so I can’t spare much to experiment with other games. I have not tried another emulator either because I have heard nothing but positive reports about the one I am using.

I downloaded the EPSXE PlayStation One emulator version 1.7, the newest one. I tried running it, but it needed some extra files to configure. I followed the messages, downloading files from the sites it suggested, until I successfully configured the emulator. So, undoubtedly, there is nothing wrong with the emulator itself. It gave me the enjoy message and all is good with that.

Next, I went to this address to download Lunar: Silver Star Story: http://www.emuparadise.org/roms/psx/Lunar/download.php. Saying that this link was old but will still work, it asked me to click a link, wait for the page to load in which case a button will become clickable, then to press the button to start the download of the ROM. Well, I did all that, and nothing happened. I pressed the button labeled “Proceed to download ISO” and nothing came up. I pressed it again, and again, and again, yet I was provided with no new screen or message. I left the internet and completely reloaded the page and still, the button was useless.

So, I went to this new page of options that the screen told me about. I ended up here: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?57322 which has the links to the two discs of the game. I followed each link and downloaded them. The result intrigued me. Even though both links were of the same game, from the same site, and were downloaded in the same manner, the download of disc one ended up being a “7Z file” and the download of the second disc ended up being a “001 file.” Ignoring that peculiarity, I set the ROMs to open with my emulator and tried all four options.

Run CDROM just made the screen go black and a controller symbol appeared on the top right.

Run ISO, even though I already opened the emulator with the ROM itself, made the emulator folder open to select a ROM. Reselecting the ROM and pressing okay did the same thing as run CDROM.

Run PS-EXE made the screen go black but did not show the controller symbol. An error message appeared that I could not read, because it only became visible for an instant after hitting escape during the black screen.

Run BIOS opens the screen that you see when you turn on a PlayStation with no CD inside.

Now, I did plenty of research. No one that I could find had a problem running the Lunar: Silver Star Story ROM on the EPSXE 1.7 emulator. Problems I found were things like trouble converting the game to disc two, and it playing the opening sequence then quitting. So I did look for a while before coming here and bothering you all. Furthermore, my brother has been using the EPSXE emulator for a long time, and he fiddled with my emulator and ROMs and couldn’t find the problem either. So I did my best. I tried every option I could find. Does anyone, anyone at all, have any ideas why playing these ROMs is doing nothing at all? I hope that I included every bit of information that is necessary to discover what the problem may be. Thank you for your time.

Baby Blue Dragon

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So you have these files right now?

Disc1:
    LSSSCA.7z

Disc 2:
    LSSSCB.7z.001
    LSSSCB.7z.002

These are 7zip archives, .001 & .002 are just split archives.

Download 7zip and install it. After installing you should be able to just right click the archive and "extract" it. The disc image inside the archive is what you'll be loading with epsxe.

Supreme Warrior Guest

very simple solution,

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

Great simple emulator, Runs lunar 1 and 2 perfectly, no complicated mess, and you may have a bad image, scan it with this,

http://cdmage.orconhosting.net.nz/frames.html

Edit: did not read the whole thing, yea get the Latest 7zip .

Thanks

use espxe 1.6 cuz 1.7 doesnt work with switching disks....u also use windows vista..need i say more? and i agree with post above winzip winrar suck...7zip is the way to go..both lunars are good but the 1st is better

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    very simple solution,

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

Great simple emulator, Runs lunar 1 and 2 perfectly, no complicated mess, and you may have a bad image, scan it with this,

http://cdmage.orconhosting.net.nz/frames.html
    I don't think he's even gotten them extracted yet. Seeing as how in his post he didn't know what a .7z or.001 file extension meant.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Read the Edit, i missed that part

PROTIP: google a extension if you do not know what it is.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatZio View Post
    use espxe 1.6 cuz 1.7 doesnt work with switching disks....u also use windows vista..need i say more? and i agree with post above winzip winrar suck...7zip is the way to go..both lunars are good but the 1st is better
    There are a couple of ways to swap discs with 1.7.0, actually. Both in the PSX and PSP FAQ at the top of this subforum.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Extensions you have to look out for:
    7z
    zip
    rar
    ecm

If you have a "ROM" in one of these formats, it is not playable yet. You have to extract it. The first three can be extracted with WinRar, a free compression program and the last, ecm, must be processed by ECM tools, or more specifically, unecm.
    ECM tools is downloadable from the main site.

After you have put your files through one of these programs, it should then be in either bin or img format. these are playable ROMs. You cannot simply rename them to this format, use one of the programs listed above.

Thanks

Thank you all for your time and advice. I downloaded winrar, though the two files I downloaded of Lunar (disc one and disc two) give two different sets of options when right clicking with winrar installed. With winrar active, right clicking the file for the first disc gives me the new options:

Extract files…

Extract Here

Extract to LSSSCA\

Right clicking the file for disc two gives me the new options:

Add to archive

Add to “LSSSCB.7z.rar”

Compress and e-mail…

Compress to “LSSSCB.7z.rar and e-mail

Now, onto some good, non confusing news, after extracting the file for disc one, I was able to play it, and I offer my heartfelt gratitude to you all for making it possible. As for the file for disc two that gives me new options that do not include extracting, let me talk about that file a bit more. Again with the site I downloaded them from (http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?57322) under disc two, I only downloaded the first file, not the second one. I assumed they were just two different locations to get the same file for disc two (is that right?). To make this even simpler to figure out, I’m just going to take some pictures of the differences between file one (disc one) and file two (disc two).

Here is what file one looks like before it’s extracted (note that this is the one that worked with winrar):

Here is what file two looks like before I tried (unsuccessfully) to extract it:

To give a better view of what is different when I tried extracting, here are the two files. As you can see, file one is extractable, and file two is, well, I have no idea what’s up with it:

Now, back to my previous curiosity about there being two files to download for disc two, I am asking this before trying as, as I mentioned earlier, I don’t have the option to just download everything to experiment with since my download capability is limited. I saw this comment from Beelzebub06660:
    These are 7zip archives, .001 & .002 are just split archives.
    Does that mean I need them both? Or perhaps that only one will work for me, and I just picked the wrong one? I’m sorry to trouble you all, I’m just trying to write a Lunar: Silver Star Story fan fiction and need to keep all my facts straight so I’m preparing to play the game all the way through while recording myself so I can use it for reference. I tried getting a ROM to work nearly a year ago and gave up, and now I’m just really hoping to get everything in order. If anyone can figure out what is so different about the disc two file so I can use it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah, you need both. And you either need to grab HJSplit and use that to combine the files or use 7zip to extract those (winrar doesn't handle .7z.00x files)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthias View Post
    Yeah, you need both. And you either need to grab HJSplit and use that to combine the files or use 7zip to extract those (winrar doesn't handle .7z.00x files)
    Does no one ever read my thread ?
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...to-Handle-Them

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.