Thread: What does mean by set 1, set 2, bootleg etc.?

Thanks

Question What does mean by set 1, set 2, bootleg etc.?

I am confused about some tag of mame rom. I want to know the full meaning of set 1, set 2, set 3, set 4, prototype, coctail, bootleg, not encrypted, unprotected, uncensored, AAA, AAB, AAD, BET, EAA, EAC, EAD, JAC, JAD, JAA, UAA, UAB, UAD, Japan, World, earlier, Phoenix Edition, AES cart, JAMMA PCB. Can anyone please help me by telling me the meaning of these tag?

Thanks

Check out the wikipedia article on MAME. Naming of ROMs are explained. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME#Game_data

Supreme Warrior Guest

Basically, you have the parent Rom (Biggest) and Sub roms (smaller ones)

you need the parent in order to run the smaller sub roms.

Thanks

I checked out Wikipedia, but not everything is explained there. What's the difference between the parent rom & the sub rom? I played both the parent rom & sub rom, I mean set 1 & set 2 of some games, but both are same.

Supreme Warrior Guest

You need the biggest rom to play the smaller roms, but i heard in some cases you would run a sub by itself which is strange.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

set 1 to set 2 = dumped from an alternative arcade chip board, guess it's like having psx bios dumps from every console version/not just region, most of those bios's are identicle to the way they look and work though will be different if you done a compare in hex

Parent roms also contain roms that are used by sub roms so you require parent roms to play sub roms, sub roms are mostly alt regions, but can include set 1+ aswell as hacks and a variety of others

You will also find that some games are remade for completly new hardware so these end up being self contained (not needing a parent rom, are infact another parent rom for a game that has a parent rom for different hardware/pcb)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-April-2011 at 07:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR