Thread: [Dreamcast] Half-Life troubleshooting

Thanks
    EP Points

Default [Dreamcast] Half-Life troubleshooting

I'm having a big problem for playing Half-Life.
    With each save, the game requires more space VMU. Is there any way to solve this problem, because if the size is limited to 200 Save blocks will not be a problem, but if it requires more space than the VMU, it will be a problem for me. Do not want to play it on PS2. I want to play it on Dreamcast it.

Thanks
    EP Points

The Dreamcast version was a BETA I believe, so it wasn't complete... I heard later on in the game it requires 200+ blocks and crashes a lot. There's nothing you can do about that because the game wasn't finished.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    The Dreamcast version was a BETA I believe, so it wasn't complete... I heard later on in the game it requires 200+ blocks and crashes a lot. There's nothing you can do about that because the game wasn't finished.
    Far as I know, the Dreamcast version is ready and needed a few tweaks to be marketed.
    Up where I played it does not crash. Actually the game is perfect and so has this bug, but if he consumes a maximum of 200 blocks is possible to play.

He does not accept my unoficial VMU 4-in-1, so I'll just buy an official VMU to play Half-Life.

Thanx man!

Thanks
    EP Points

There is a VMU utility that can free up an extra 40 blocks on a VMU I believe, but I don't know how much use that would be...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you save when it has just loaded a new area the saves are considerably smaller you can even have more than one save in 200 blocks though I have to admit I have 244 blocks on most of my VMU's and even my 15 page Nexus memcard has most set to use 244 blocks aswell (half-life saves on the nexus card fine aswell)

beter than the mods for Half-Life on the Dreamcast that you can't save on at all

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    If you save when it has just loaded a new area the saves are considerably smaller you can even have more than one save in 200 blocks though I have to admit I have 244 blocks on most of my VMU's and even my 15 page Nexus memcard has most set to use 244 blocks aswell (half-life saves on the nexus card fine aswell)

beter than the mods for Half-Life on the Dreamcast that you can't save on at all
    I have a Nexus but when I try to use it, an error occurs and the game does not save.

I have DreamExplorer but I'm afraid that with this release of extra blocks, the VMU is damaged.

What makes the VMU DreamExplorer to make available those extra blocks?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Edi (FZ2D) View Post
    I have a Nexus but when I try to use it, an error occurs and the game does not save.

I have DreamExplorer but I'm afraid that with this release of extra blocks, the VMU is damaged.

What makes the VMU DreamExplorer to make available those extra blocks?
    It just opens up what Sega blocked out to round it down to 200 blocks of the 244, you used to need to format while opening up the extra blocks but this no-longer is the case, this is reversable and goes back to the 200 blocks if cleared(all saves selected and Delete)/formated by the Dreamcast bios (if memory is not formated) [Never come across unformated memory except from new VMU's/Memory Units]

If you think of it like a hdd that has 244GB of space but by default has one formated partition of 200GB and an unformated partition of 44GB, Partition managers can extend the first partition to use the unused 44GB of unformated partition making the first Partition to use all 244GB (without loss of data)

Personly I would still backup your saves on another VMU anyway though

Our Nexus cards are not the same card so maybe there are issues with your 4 page Nexus card with some games, personly never had an issue with anything I have thrown at my 15 page Nexus card
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-April-2011 at 10:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR