Thread: Does anyone have or is able to rip some Final Fantasy VII field models?

Thanks

Default Does anyone have or is able to rip some Final Fantasy VII field models?

Hi everyone... I have a problem that I've been trying to solve for weeks, but I think I've hit the end of my rope.

I've been trying to rip or view the 3D models from the Final Fantasy VII... specifically, the "field" models (IE not battle ones) so I could study them for game development purposes. I wanted to make a game with simplistic graphics similar to the "super-deformed" field models of FF7, so I wanted to study them to get an idea of how many polys they had, how the joints are modeled, etc.

Unfortunately, nothing I have tried has worked...

I tried using 3D Ripper DX in conjunction with ePSXe, but I haven't had any luck with that. I got it to attach properly, but when I tried to capture the geometry, it came out flat when I imported it to 3DS Max 2011. I tried getting this to work with Project 64 as well to study low-poly N64 3D models, but every time I do it says "nothing found to import...".

I also tried using 3D Ripper DX in conjunction with the PC version of FF7, but it did not attach. Installing FF7 on my PC was a nightmare in the first place, and I thought that it ran using DirectX, but maybe it's too old for 3DRDX.

If somebody could help me out by ripping the models or helping me figure out how to do it, I'd appreciate it. I have a feeling that my computer may be the problem... nothing worked in ePSXe on my old computer, but I did get some stuff from either Project 64 or 1964 to import into Maya with distorted proportions.

My computer's specs are as follows if anyone needs to know:

Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz
    RAM: 4 GB

Thanks in advance, and sorry in advance if this is in a bad board.

EDIT: Also tried the model viewer for the PS version, didn't work with my ISOs... also tried applying the OpenGL patch to the PC version in conjunction with GLIntercept with no results as well.
    Last edited by WhiteHare7; 16th-April-2011 at 18:51.

Thanks
    EP Points

Off thread, but is there any high-res or widescreen patch for FFVII PC? I'm sorry for asking here, but with your problem, why don't you try with other games? There's Wild Arms that have almost the same type of fields as in Final Fantasy VII. I've never messed with those kind of stuff, so I don't have any idea. And if it is because of the OS, try using the XP mode on Windows 7. Perfectly fully emulates XP on 7. Just download it on Microsoft website. Then install the necessary programs on "XP". I just don't know if your CPU handles virtual PC.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try later.

I don't know for sure if there's a high-res or widescreen patch for FF7, but I do know that people have been working on patches to upgrade the graphics. Some of them actually looked pretty cool. I know there's the OpenGL patch as well, though that seemed to make the game look worse than when it was running with DirectX for some reason... maybe it was just me.