Thread: Fixing the Rainbow Color Effect in Windows 7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Fixing the Rainbow Color Effect in Windows 7

Sometimes when trying to play Older games on your Windows 7 Machine the game may launch and run OK, but will have this weird Rainbow color effect, Notable games affected by this are Fallout 1 and 2. Many others are out there that also may suffer from this issue.

The problem arises mostly due to the newer display system in Windows 7 these older games are trying to use the older and much more inferior display system back when Graphics cards was known as 3D Accelerators and Direct Draw was always an option. The color palate system is sometimes incompatible with some older software.

To fix this find the EXE of the game in question right click it and go Properties then Compatibility Tab and Set it to this:

This Should turn this:

Into This:

Tested and Working on Fallout, Fallout 2, of Light and Darkness: The Prophecy, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 Demo Movies and Killing Time so it should work for most if not all games that suffer from this bug.

Enjoy!

(Yes I know I need to clean my monitor although its mostly the camera picking every thing up you cant see it normally >.<)
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 4th-April-2011 at 09:31.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kouen Hasuki For This Useful Post: