Thread: E74: Revenge of the 360!

Thanks

Default E74: Revenge of the 360!

So I fixed my 360's RRoD a few weeks ago. X-Clamp fix did the trick for a little while. Now I got the dreaded E74 error. At first, I got some strange graphical glitches and just figured the system was overheating. So I turned it off. I came back the next day and it seemed to work fine until I started getting these weird graphics again. This time, they came a lot sooner, so I know the system couldn't simply be overheating. I reset the console and was met with E74 error.

I've been researching the error and think I have a solution, but I would like some input. Some guides suggest doing the X-Clamp fix to solve the E74 error. Since I'd already done that, I tried adjusting the tightness of the screws which only ended up causing the old RRoD to come back. I retightened them back to the way I had them before and the old RRoD disappeared again, but it still leaves me with the E74 error.

Further research suggests putting pressure on the HANA chip. I tried doing this manually by turning on the 360 while pressing down hard with my finger on the chip. No luck. I really put some serious pressure on it, so I'm wondering whether or not the so call "Penny fix" would be worth a try.

Thanks
    EP Points

As I told you last time, get it re-balled or professionally reflowed.

Best temp fix you can do: Reflow with a hot air gun. Messing around warping the board even more is just going to kill it off much faster.

Thanks

And how much is that gonna cost me?

But am I right in deducing that it is, in fact, the HANA chip that needs re-balled/reflowed?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    And how much is that gonna cost me?

But am I right in deducing that it is, in fact, the HANA chip that needs re-balled/reflowed?
    Look on Craiglist or something for a local person that can reball 360s.

E74 is GPU failure, it's probably the GPU that needs reballing.