Thread: Does it Matter Which Dragon Quest In the DS series you pick up?

Thanks

Default Does it Matter Which Dragon Quest In the DS series you pick up?

A lot of people have been saying that the dragon quest series are a fun rpg to get into. But theres just so many. isn't there like 1 through 6 or 7 on the nintendo ds?. I'm just wondering if all the dragon quest titles build off each other in sequels. or is it sort of like final fantasy when each title has its own story and world separate from the previous or future titles?. Please answer my questions.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Out of the main series only 4,5,6 and 9 have been on the DS. 9 being exclusive to the DS and the others being remakes. I have read interviews with Yuji Hori that quoted him as saying that they aren't interconnected. Although the games seem to kind of share a similar theme and it goes in trilogies. So it's 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9. Although I have played 7-9 and they don't really seem linked, even in theme. 1-3 all were based around a Hero named Erdrick, Roto in the Japanese release. 4-6 All have a flying castle in them if I can remember.

Anyway, as far as story goes. You can pick any one of them up and not have to be worried about back-story.

Thanks
    EP Points

agreed they don't really build off each other funny you mention final fantasy though and The Cube mentions dragon quest 1-3's plot when square released final fantasy 1 there was a sign in the game that said
    "here lies erdrick the great" square put that in there believing at the time they had killed enix's(then a competing company) dragon quest/warrior

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Dragon Quest 5,6 and 9 are very entertaining.

also, there is no connection between them, all separate stories and worlds.

Thanks

Yeah, generally you start with the earliest one and work your way up!!!!
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's sorta like the Final Fantasy series, none of the games have anything to do with each other story wise (except I think the Monsters sub-series), but they share similar themes depending on how close they are in order. Sorta like how IV-VI introduced more sci-fi elements, VII, VIII and X went with main characters being far more emotionally involved with the villains and focused on them more than anyone else, ect.

The thing with Dragon Quest is that it almost always uses the same style of setting. The only connections as already pointed out deals with almost pointless backstory. Pick any of them and you'll be fine.

Thanks

i started with dragon quest 9. then i played the others

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

>Dragon Quest 9
    >very entertaining.

I laughed, then raged.

Thanks
    EP Points

Dragon Quest VIII is a great game. The animations are fluid and smooth. Level 5 did a fine job of creating the game. They have some of the best animation in video games I have seen. It's like they animate every frame of movement.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    >Dragon Quest 9
    >very entertaining.

I laughed, then raged.
    Tip:

Trolling doesn't work when you make it far too obvious with every post you make, people catch on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    Tip:

Trolling doesn't work when you make it far too obvious with every post you make, people catch on.
    Umm...Are you sure you weren't directing that towards my last post...cuz I was...BTW Ivys got you wrapped the hell up...So Sexy
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    Tip:

Too bad I'm not trolling; DQ9 was the most disappointing game I've played this year.

Thanks

I think 9 might be better than the rest because of the content and co-op mode as well as being an entirely new game... while the other are just remakes... I want them to remake 7 that would be awesome
    Dj Knite X - Upcoming Pro-Gamer
    http://teamskynite.net - for online tournaments