Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 on Monitor

Thanks

Default PS2 on Monitor

Hi guys, been a while!

I've been wanting to set something up for a while now and i thought to myself... ok, i'll try some googling. That failed miserably. Then i thought to myself again.. wait a minute? i'm part of an awesome emulation community!

Here's the deal

I have a 22" monitor that has 2 available ports, DVI and VGA. My computer is currently plugged into the DVI port and the VGA is currently free.

I would like to set up my playstation 2 onto that monitor so i can have the PC and PS2 both plugged into it, meaning i can switch from PC to PS2 on the fly with a click of a button, no need for constant replugging and whatnot.

How do i do this? I've heard about XGA Box's n whatnot but i'm not too sure how they work and if they will let me plug ps2 + pc into the same monitor and switch freely?

basically, what i'm asking for is...

Who can give me a step by step instruction on what to buy and how it works? I don't need "for dummies" instructions but just an idea on how it all works.

1. What do i need to buy
    2. What goes in where?
    3. How does it work?

Thanks, i would appreciate any help i can get

I'm the bastard that created The Hang Out many years ago
    I like to remind people to feed my ego

Thanks
    EP Points

Holy shit....
    Necro user necro's

Thanks

lol Jase!

i'm guessing this will work? and i can have PC AND this box plugged into my monitor? DVI for PC, VGA for this box, both into the same monitor and i can switch between the two using a button on the the box?

who can confirm ?

Thanks
    EP Points

My monitor is a Samsung with one DVI in and one VGA in, and it just has a button on the side that switches between analog and digital signal (thus switching the input port). I would assume most other monitors with multiple inputs work similarly. So as long as those RCA plugs are intended for input, it should work perfectly fine. But like I said, the button would be on your monitor rather than the box.

Thanks

Cheers, i'm at work at the moment but i'll have a look once i get home

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    My monitor is a Samsung with one DVI in and one VGA in, and it just has a button on the side that switches between analog and digital signal (thus switching the input port). I would assume most other monitors with multiple inputs work similarly. So as long as those RCA plugs are intended for input, it should work perfectly fine. But like I said, the button would be on your monitor rather than the box.
    Provides video pass-through function to select images between PC and the gaming console by pressing one single button.
    Sounds like it already has that function on the box, no?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by !nstaGib View Post
    Sounds like it already has that function on the box, no?
    Unless he has an input on the box where he can plug from his video card, the switching would be done on the monitor. The way he explained it, it sounds like he's plugging a DVI cable direct from the video card to the monitor, and an RCA cable from the PS2 to the box, then VGA from the box to the monitor. Thus, switching at the monitor would supersede any kind of switching at the box.

tl;dr: The box only has one input, so it can't switch which input it's reading from.

Thanks

yup that is correct, i will have the PC plugged into the monitor (via DVI) and the additional VGA port will be used for the box.

This has me thinking though...

couldn't i just buy one of these?

plug the ps2 wires in there then plug that into my free VGA port? then if i want to switch from PC to PS2 i just do it through my monitor? no need for the box?

fingers crossed my monitor has this option zzz

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    yup that is correct, i will have the PC plugged into the monitor (via DVI) and the additional VGA port will be used for the box.

This has me thinking though...

couldn't i just buy one of these?

plug the ps2 wires in there then plug that into my free VGA port? then if i want to switch from PC to PS2 i just do it through my monitor? no need for the box?

fingers crossed my monitor has this option zzz
    Questionable. Generally those are one-directional, if I'm not mistaken. If you read the reviews on things like that, you'll most likely find a bunch of people complaining about how it didn't work as expected. It's been several years since I last looked into it, but I seem to recall something about the signal being in a different format for monitors and televisions, hence the need for an actual box to convert. I could be completely wrong here, but I'd definitely say to read plenty of reviews and such about people trying to use it for similar projects before buying.

But note that even if it does work for transferring the video signal, a VGA connector doesn't transmit audio. So the two RCA audio connectors on it are a bit silly.

Thanks
    EP Points

if you monitor has the switch option that colamisu was talking about and i'm assuming it does as it's a pretty much standard feature the your last idea should be all you need cause with that feature all you need is something to convert the rga into vga that s-video convertor would do the trick without the box thus eliminating the need for an extra ac plug for the box. (oops just read post above i still believe it will work but with as with anything do your homework before you buy it should work but what kind of video quality will you get) also as colamisu stated you will have to either run your audio through your sound card if it has rga inputs through a separate system like a stereo with inputs or play without sound as vga is video only and doesn't support sound at all.
    Last edited by Knightshade; 31st-March-2011 at 04:15. Reason: just read post above

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

thanks guys, appreciated.

So i should just go ahead and buy that one i posted a picture of previously? I'm home now, just checked my monitor and yes, it has the options to switch between the two

Thanks
    EP Points

If you mean the box, I'd say yes. If you meant the cable, only if you find enough evidence to convince you that it will work as expected.

Thanks

i doubt that is even possible, but you can buy a VGABOX to connect the ps2 to a FPD. or you can build your own vga cable if your electronic savvy by going here to get the playstation pinout ,but after thats built, you will have to use a lm1881 Sync Seperator to seperate the Sync on green line. and go here for that
    Love, and the same charcoal, burning, need to find ways to ask cooling. Allow an arbitrary, it is necessary to heart charred

Thanks

I use this, EasyCap

Direct console-to-usb connection. it's cheap too.
    I was one of the unlucky ones that didn't get drivers/software with it though. (check very thoroughly which distributor you buy it from) Finding the correct drivers/software files online was a pain because you might get video but no audio or the other way around. But once I got it working, all was good........IN JAPANESE!!!!!!

Give me what I want or face destruction........IN JAPANESE!

Thanks

ooooh! i'm gonna look into getting one of those so i can capture games onto my pc.

how much do those cost Myst?