Thread: PS3 Blinking Red Light

Thanks

Default PS3 Blinking Red Light

I've had my PS3 since April '09 with absolutely no problems (40gb bought refurbished from GS). So today I had been on for about 3 hours and was in a party on Black Ops. After about the third game we got in, my PS3 completely turned off and I was back on my cable screen (not sure what to call it.) I thought, "Ok, maybe it just overheated." I waited about an hour and a half and pushed the power on button. The button turned green then beeped 3 times and the blue light flashed then the once green button flashed into yellow. After that, the red light came back and was constantly blinking until I touched it again. This isn't the YLOD is it? Any way to fix it? I just sent my iTouch to Apple for $135 so I definitely don't have enough money to buy a new system. Thanks in advance!
    Join Creatures of Myth! A Fantasy Role-Playing Site
    http://creatures-of-myth.forumotion.com/forum

Thanks
    EP Points

well first thing that's wrong is you're playing Black ops

but this is the gist of what I found on Google. I have never had first hand experience with red blinky --- only yellow blinky

http://ezinearticles.com/?PS3-Blinki...an?&id=5235176

good luck!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes, that is the Yellow Light of Death. For some reason I see that the most with 40GB PS3s. I have one sitting on my shelf. It's similar to the RROD, it will most likely need a solder reflow, if not a solder reballing, to get it working again. Bad news man.

Thanks

UPDATE: Since I couldn't come up with money for a new system and couldn't do the repair myself, I just sent it in to Sony for the $100. But do you guys know if they'll send a new console, someone's refurb., or if they send back my fixed console? I read on the Playstation forums that some guys got a Slim back after sending in their Phat console. Some also said that they just got someone's refurbished one.
    Last edited by T12av1S; 4th-April-2011 at 15:35.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 288 Posts
    EP Points

They usually send a new or a second hand one that still works, was already the case with the PS2...

Don' worry, it won't hurt... that much!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You said you bought a used one from Gamestop? There is your first mistake, with newer consoles, DO NOT buy them used, people fuck with them, and no game store is going to really give it a check to see if it works. I have seen this happen to many people, and then they wonder why their console doesn't work, IT IS USED!! It could be tampered with.

I have also noticed the 40GB ones are the ones with problems all the time. That is why I went with a 120GB one.

Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ARProductions View Post
    You said you bought a used one from Gamestop? There is your first mistake, with newer consoles, DO NOT buy them used, people fuck with them, and no game store is going to really give it a check to see if it works. I have seen this happen to many people, and then they wonder why their console doesn't work, IT IS USED!! It could be tampered with.

I have also noticed the 40GB ones are the ones with problems all the time. That is why I went with a 120GB one.

Hope you get it figured out.
    It was a gift from my Uncle. I didn't even realize it was a refurb originally because he had everything wrapped up and placed in cardboard like the box of the launch systems. I had already been playing it about an hour and a half when I saw the green "Gamestop Refurbished" sticker on the side.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by T12av1S View Post
    It was a gift from my Uncle. I didn't even realize it was a refurb originally because he had everything wrapped up and placed in cardboard like the box of the launch systems. I had already been playing it about an hour and a half when I saw the green "Gamestop Refurbished" sticker on the side.
    Oh damn, that sucks. Well I guess there isn't much you can do when it is a gift.